Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
famcook

New 1/2 bath cabinet question - please help!

FamCook
10 years ago

We have a small 1/2 bath in our mudroom area. It will have two pockets doors to be a walk through to our laundry room. It will service 5 kids that run in and out from the back yard and I'm sure guests.

It is 3'3" wide finished with walls on three sides of the cabinet. Originally I wanted a cabinet with fillers and the countertop to fill in the space completely. But, now I'm thinking of getting a 36" cabinet with a 37" top and leaving it open on the sides. The cabinet i like (and is a return) has feet (so i think fillers are out) and looks more like furniture.

Will this look weird to have an inch on each side of the top? I thought it might look cool, but need some advice.

Comments (5)

• FamCook
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought I posted this to the baths forum, but looks like I didn't. I'll put it there too.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

How would you ever paint back in there? What about spills off the countertop running off the sides? If the bath is going to service 5 kids, something is going to spill there. Personally, I think it will look like something too big in a too small spot. Also, a vanity top would overhang by more than 1/2 inch, wouldn't it?

• FamCook
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jelly toast, do you think a smaller vanity would look better? Like a 30" that would leave 4.5 " on either side?

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

That's how I'd do it; either that or have the cabinet fill the entire space (built in). If I were using a free-standing vanity, I'd want enough space on either side to make future paint jobs feasible. You want it to look like you did it on purpose, not like "I just happened to get a good deal on this size cabinet so that's what I used."

Is there a decorating forum you could post to as well? I know some of the forums don't get much traffic. Maybe some others will chime in here.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

What if you put wainscoting on the walls? I think you could get 1/2" thick panels. Could you live with a 1/2" gap?

Don't forget to account for your base molding too. We added it along the side when we changed to a furniture-style vanity.