Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mutins vs. No Mutins

Posted by lucas_tx (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 9:38

As part of our new ktichen update, we decided to replace glass in a number of windows where the seals were no longer good and the windows were either fogged, or just not clear. While doing that, we decided to get the new windows without the mutins.

Before

photo IMG_0543_zps11f81750.jpg

After

photo IMG_0574_zps0761324e.jpg

We're thrilled and replacing the glass rather than the entire window is fast, easy and quite affrodable!

Sadly they broke a couple of panes on the truck and will have to come back, but that's actually OK because DH accidentally shattered the glass in a French door while weed eating, he apparently launched a rock into it, so now they can make one more trip and do that door plus the remaining window.

In a perfect world we might have completely replaced all the windows with more efficient ones and low-e glass but for now this makes sense for us.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mutins vs. No Mutins

Hum....I think it depends on the style of your home...more modern = no mutins.
traditional = mutins
I think it also depends if you are adding shutters are window treatments - if so, then no mutins.
Just my opinion.
We did mutins on the front of our home and we did not on the back because we face a lake and we wanted an uninterrupted view.
Pam

o

I also dislike looking outside to my beautiful surroundings to have my view disrupted by all those mutin lines. I admire very much the look of them on other houses, but it bothers me at my MIL's house to have to look through them. I find myself walking outside regardless of the cold and rainy weather to see her garden because the view from the house is annoying.

Congrats on your window makeover. What matters is that YOU like it!

o

Muntins -> Mutins -> Mutants.

I have them in some windows and they're welcome to go at any time.

o

I have them on the french doors and love them .They add charm to the room. On the other hand I wouldn,t want them on my kitchen or living room widows because thats where I enjoy the view I paid extra monney to get;)

o

While not evident from that angle, when standing square to the windows we have a pretty good view as well, trees, bird feeders, martin houses, etc. so we wanted the unimpeded view. If we ever replace them on the front, we might leave them in, hadn't really given it any consideration.

o

MUNTINS.

o

Depending on the house style they may look OK from outside, or turn the windows into back holes in the facade.

The muntins act as a 'stop' for the eye when looking at the facade from outside into dark rooms.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 15:09

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here