Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone bought tiles from Glass Tile Oasis?

Posted by msrose (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 9:35

They have such beautiful and unique backsplash options, but everything I like is so expensive. If I order online, I won't get the benefit of my tile guy's discount that I would get if I bought locally. Just wondering if anyone has purchased their backsplash (or other) tile from them and if you had a good experience. Also, has anyone come across something locally they had seen on the Glass Tile Oasis website? This is an extreme example, but this tile is $121.75 a box (15 pieces per box). How in the world could a glass tile be worth that much money?

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass Tile Oasis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone bought tiles from Glass Tile Oasis?

15 pieces is 5sf = a bit over $24/sf.

To me that price is reasonable. Can you find something similar for less? I'm sure you can. And you'd be better off supporting your local businesses.
But $24 per square foot is not an unheard of price.
Here in the east coast 4x12 glass tile retails for about 10-20 dollars/

o

I haven't bought from Glass Tile but I know others on here have. One thing you need to look at though is actually the price per square ft or per tile.The tiles you linked are 4x12 so you would need three tiles per sq. ft. Some smaller 3x6 glass tiles on there website sell for $4.62 a piece. The 4x12 are $8.11 a piece. You only need 3 of the larger tiles for a sq. ft but 8 of the smaller ones for a sq.ft. So while they are still pricey, it would be less expensive to use them than the smaller size. Approximately $24 for the large per sq. ft and $37/sq.ft for the smaller (I hope I did the math correctly!)
The glass and stone mosaic tile that I used was $19sq.ft from a local store many of the simliar mosaics shown on the website are higher than that. I bought mine at a local flooring store. They were cheaper than tiles store so be sure to check flooring stores as well.

o

I just received my tile from Glass Tile Oasis. It's porcelain, not glass. I thought the price was great, and everything arrived unbroken. It took a while to get it because the "random" mosaic tile I ordered is cut on a per-order basis. But I'd say my experience was very good.

I was considering getting tile from buytile.com, where sixtyohno got hers at a very reasonable price, but the tile we settled on (finally!) was available only at GTO.

[Edited to say that by "a while" I mean two weeks -- really not bad!]

This post was edited by fouramblues on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 10:49

o

Ugh! Just wrote a long post and lost it.

twn85 - Thanks for the explanation. It doesn't sound so bad when you break it down like that. I'm not actually interested in that particular tile. It just caught my attention, because of the price. Here's a few that I do like.

o

I purchased some of my stainless steel mosaics from GTO. Physical tile stores here could get what I saw there, but at a higher cost, despite the contractor discount.

I don't recall any problem working with them. Very straightforward. I used about 3 or 4 different vendors, and some mailed faster than others. We were on a tight timeline so I wish I would have ordered earlier - about 4 weeks ahead of time - but forget if this was one of the vendors slow to ship or if I chose a cheaper shipping method.

o

Thanks, badgergal. I'm not a numbers girls, so if I actually decide to go with one from there, you guys will have to help me figure the "real" cost.

fouramblues - Good to know. Thanks!

o

msrose, where did you find the glass arabesque tiles, 4th one down? it is so pretty!

o

msrose -- yes, that fourth one looks like the beveled arabesque. I searched the site and didn't find. Can you provide a linky please?

o

Here is the 4th one. It comes in white or cream. They call it bathroom tile. Certainly could be used in the kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile

o

Sorry I missed this earlier. Badgergal, thanks for posting the link to the arabesque tile. I ordered a sample of it and it's really pretty in person :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here