Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bdaykitchen

ASAP help needed! Panel ready frig-how to cover side trim?

bdaykitchen
15 years ago

Need help ASAP! My new panel ready Kitchenaid KFCO22EVBL refrigerator delivered was yesterday. I was shocked to see that the trim on the sides of the doors are black and appears they cannot be covered (Pics of the frig online show only completely covered front view- no side view.) A 2" zebra stripe was not exactly the look I was going for in my creamy white kitchen. The cabinet maker says he cannot build the panel to cover the side trim. Called Kitchenaid- they said they do not have any parts or any other way to cover the black trim. Cabinetmaker is talking about painting it with appliance paint-- to me also not an ideal situation for a frig I just spent so much $$ on.

Any other ideas?? It's not stainless & is magnetized- is there some kind of metal strip that can be applied to at least give it a stainless look? Or anyone had a creative cabinet person who figured out how to address this?

Appliance place seems helpful but will probably only give me today to figure out if I want to keep or return it. Any ideas & pics greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, in advance!

Comments (19)

• eandhl
    15 years ago

Did your cab maker say why he couldn't build the panel deeper to cover the sides? Our cab maker did just that in our last kit. Also most of the refrigerators do have black sides.

• bdaykitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think I was not clear. I knew that the case of the frig was going to be black & that part he can build the cabinet surround to cover. The part that he says he can't address is the side trim of the door itself. He says if he tries to put any kind of wood panel there it will get in the way of the door opening properly.

• gaylemh
    15 years ago

That was a problem I saw when I was ordering my refrigerator. I wanted a panel ready, but when I saw that the sides of the doors would show, I ended up getting a SS Jenn Air. Some of the panel readys I think come with a white or black case. Being you have a white kitchen, maybe you could get it with the white case.

• luckymom23
    15 years ago

I don't remember where I saved this picture from, so if it is a GW member, I hope it is ok that I am posting it here...
    We are having a Jenn Air CD FD paneled, I saved this pic to show our Cabinet maker. It shows a side angle with a strip of wood. I am pretty sure this is a Jenn Air, but KA is basically the same, I believe they are made by the same company. I don't know if it helps but perhaps you can show it to your cabinet person and it will give him an inspiration. You might also call KA and see if they have any information that might help. Good Luck, I'll be anxious to hear what you come up with.

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

What is your model?

I am not sure, but some of the panel ready refrigerator by KitchenAid are available with White trim (or metallic) was there a reason you ordered one with black trim for a white kitchen?

Also at that price point, is there a reason you chose a panel-ready refrigerator rather than a fully integrated refrigerator? A fully integrated refrigerator does not have panels held in by trim. The panels clip onto the door and the door is completely flush with the cabinetry.

I am not being critical. I am just trying to understand the situation. Perhaps you can return the refrigerator and get the one that has the white trim pieces.

• Fori
    15 years ago

(paint might do the trick, and it'd be a better match than whitewhite)

good luck! Fridges are a pain!

• eandhl
    15 years ago

I do know ours was built just out to the door itself. The door was beyond the cabs.

• bdaykitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks,

Luckymom- I will send this pic to my cabinet maker & see if he has any ideas. Have you discussed w/yours? I'd really love to hear what others do.

As I mentioned above, I have called Kitchenaid- they do not have any available trim part to cover the black & the model is only available in black, not white. It is one of their newest models which is one of the reasons no one had it to see in the store.

My CG thinks he has a friend who can fabricate a stainless steel strip to attach to it. Anyone done this?

Granite guy, who happened to be here suggested to take it to car body shop & see if they could paint the trim portion.

Thoughts??

• alku05
    15 years ago

How about ordering some veneer from your cabinet company and sticking that on? Honestly, this would be a deal breaker for me and I would return it if I possibly could.

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

Frigo Designs may be able to make trim pieces for your refrigerator. However, they are not inexpensive.

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

You could try either a stainless laminate (only .035" thick) or a wood veneer laminate (1/42" thick) that could perhaps be finished or painted to match your cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Outwater catalogue

• bdaykitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all,

Circuspeanut- the veneer was just was I was hoping to do. Any ideas how to attach it or make it stick to the trim piece??

Again, my thanks for helping to resolve this. We've now determined that at this point we do need to keep the fridge. Among other things we were having issues with other fridges potentially hitting the handle of the adjacent oven & this one restricts the swing just sufficiently so that should not be an issue. I don't want to trade one problem for another.

SO, finding the best solution to covering the black trim is what we've got to do at this point.

Thanks again!

• rdsso
    15 years ago

thanks so much for starting this thread I am going to look into the veneer also If I read right it has a sticky backing.
    Circuspeanut you are a genus.

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Hey, very glad to help. The Outwater catalog is a treasure trove, but it wasn't really my find -- someone on one of the Gardenweb forums linked to it a while back. :-)

I believe the veneer comes with adhesive and without. (Page a bit back and forth in the catalog to find the various kinds and sizes.) You could buy a separate adhesive, but I'm thinking that the pre-glued stuff should work pretty well over smooth black plastic trim.

Definitely swing back here when you're done to show how it all turned out!

• bdaykitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Circuspeanut,

Will send the info to cabinetmaker & hope he can figure out something & will definitely post pics back to this thread when we've got it done.

Thanks again!

• amyms
    15 years ago

I was just wondering if you had come to a solution for this yet. I would really like to purchase this fridge for my kitchen and would also like to panel it in. We are going with a cream cabinet and I don't want the 2" thick black strip either. I would love to hear how yours turned out. Thanks

• KKPerry
    12 years ago

Any updates on this? I know it has been a while, but this refrigerator is still around and I would love to see your solution. I am concerned about exact same thing.
    Thanks

• 6185vb
    6 years ago

I just discovered I have the same problem. My cabinet maker should have made the cove for the fridge wider and deeper. Looks like I may be painting the sides too.