Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stpindell_gw

pull-down vs. pull-out faucet

stpindell
15 years ago

One of the the "best thing they learned on this forum" was pull-down vs. pull-out faucet. I did a search and could not find a thread discussing this. I might not be searching correctly as I am fairly new to this site.

Can someone please advise what the difference is?

Comments (46)

• joann23456
    15 years ago

Here's a pull-out faucet:

{{gwi:2106142}}

Here's a pull-down faucet:

{{gwi:2106143}}

The difference is in what movements you have to make to use them. For me, it's easier to use a pull-down faucet, because you can grab it, pull it down, and use it to spray all without moving your hand. Your hand will be pointed down.

With the pullout faucet, your hand is pointing up to pull it out, and then you need to turn your hand down to use the faucet. Side sprays are pullout fixtures.

Personally, I don't find it to be a huge deal, but I do think the pull-down fixtures are more ergonomically correct, and I did buy one for my kitchen.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Hmmm...this one of those topics that used to come up a lot, but, surprisingly, not recently!

Here are some pros/cons. I'm sure others will have things to add as well:

Pull Down
    A faucet in which the faucet head pulls straight down toward the bottom of the sink. For example, Kohler Vinnata, Kohler Simplice

• Pros

• Supposed to be better "ergonomically." The movement of grabbing the faucet head and pulling down is a more natural movement than grabbing it and pulling it out. It has to do with how you have to grab a hold of the head.

• Can fit taller pots, pitchers, etc. under them b/c of the high arc

• Look cool! :-)

• Cons

• Not easy to do "hands free" pot filling when a pot is on the counter next to the sink (as opposed to in the sink)

• If not careful, more splashing than a pullout or non-pull faucet

• Some here have noticed water pressure problems w/high arc faucets. If you have low water pressure to begin with, the fact that the water has to travel an additional 8 to 10 inches (depending on the height of the faucet) further reduces the pressure

Pull Out
    A faucet in which the faucet head pulls out toward you. For example, Kohler Fairfax

• Pros

• Easier to fill pots on the counter next to the sink. You just pull the faucet head out, hook it on the side of the pot, and go! Then when full, just move/slide it over, no lifting it out of the sink.

• Less splashing than a pull down

• Lower profile, especially useful if you have a faucet in a small area (where a high arc would overwhelm) or if you have limited height to work with (like under a cabinet)

• Cons

• Unless you have a very deep sink, cannot fit a tall pot or pitcher under it

Personally, I have both...a pull down at the main/cleanup sink and a pullout at the prep sink. The original reason I got a pullout at the prep sink is that it's in the corner close to the cabinets above and I wanted a lower profile faucet. But now I'm glad I got it as it's easier to fill pots on the side. The other thing it's easier to fill is the bucket for clean water for the fish tank! When it has 5 gallons in it it's too heavy to easily lift out of the deep sinks we have and then take it out...it's much easier to fill it on the counter and take it off w/o additional lifting up.

Pull Down:
    Kohler Vinnata

Pullout:
    Kohler Fairfax

• haileysuper
    15 years ago

Like AKChicago suggests go to a store to try these faucets out. I went to a kitchen supply store that actually had faucets hooked up to working sinks like in a home. That was really helpful as opposed to seeing them in a big box store. I went in with the intention of getting a pull down but after trying them out decided on a pull out.

I found that the pull down I was most interested in- the Brizo Floriano did not have a magnet in the head to help in putting the faucet head back into place- it kind of needed to be twisted to get back in- and in our house it would be guaranteed to be dangling. The pull downs most easily replaced had a magnet in the head to snap it back in.

I also found that being left handed the high arch pull downs with the handles on the right were awkward to use for me somehow. I really felt funny trying to use the sprayer and adjust the water. The pull outs with the water handle on the back of the faucet definitely felt more natural to use.

I tried out the Hansgrohe Allegro pull out and really liked it and it is what I plan on purchasing. Good luck!

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

I absolutely HATE our pull-down. It has all those disadvantages listed above. It's so near the back that we get constant splashing / spills behind the sink. The pull-down head is awkward and difficult to control, nowhere near as nice as a real sprayer. It's huge and unsightly. Worst of all, it always looks like it's broken. Think about it - you're fighting gravity in a big way. You've got this heavy head just sitting there dangling, relying upon the seating mechanism to hold it in place. You have to keep the weight on the hose so close to the head so that the head even comes close to seating that it makes the sprayer pretty much useless. Even with all that it still looks like it's broken all the time. BTW, I played with some of the fancier pull-downs and they all have the same issue.

Hubby installed a pull-out for Mom and Dad a few weeks ago. Its effective height is just as tall as our pull-down and it doesn't have any of our issues.

• kulagal
    15 years ago

Along with AK Chicago I chose the Grohe LLPlus but in SS with a black head. I did go to a plumbing supply store and tried out as many faucets as they had and really liked this one because of how it felt in my small hand plus a friend has the same one and she felt it functioned very well. It's also very attractive and you can't go wrong with German design! I found that the faucet and cabs were the two most difficult things to pick out in our kitchen. Glad that's behind us! Good luck!

• glad
    15 years ago

If you have a height restriction, that's a plus for the pullout, as the tend to be shorter. I have a cabinet with towel holder over mine, so that immediately ruled out pulldowns. Though I do love the look.

• Fori
    15 years ago

Don't be alarmed by bad pulldown/puts on displays--they usually don't have the weights properly attached so heads are gonna dangle. I replaced a leaky pullout with a pulldown because I wanted the longest reaching faucet I could find that went in one hole (and I wanted to replace the leaker of course).

Only problem I have is that the hose often snags on the water supply valves because it's a long one, but I really can't blame the faucet. :)

I guess I don't care about the out vs. down, though.

• krissd
    15 years ago

pbrisjar: What kind of faucet do you have?

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Danze Opulence.

From Kitchen

• stpindell
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. I would have never known all the pros and cons. I think I'm leaning towards the pull out style.

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

I have a Blanco Classic pull out. I love it. It doesn't splash, and it is great for washing my little toy poodle.

• krissd
    15 years ago

pbrisjar: Phew! Thanks, I'm in the clear.

I purchased a Delta. The pull-down Delta I purchased has magnetic docking for the faucet head. Not installed yet, so no idea how it will be.

• idrive65
    15 years ago

I have the Delta Allora (pull down) with the magnetic docking. No "dangling head" issues. :)

• stpindell
    Original Author
    15 years ago

buddyrose,

LOVE the picture!! =)

• mikeandbarb
    15 years ago

You guy's are scaring me. I got the Delta Leland pull down, it too has the magnetic docking. I liked the way it handles compaired to the pull out. Our sink is 9 inches deep so this maybe helpful on the splash.
    I guess if it doesn't work out I can have DH take it out and exchange it for a pull down.

• datura-07
    15 years ago

I use to have two black poodles. What a sweetheart!!

• epiccycle
    15 years ago

Pull-outs RULE! Sorry, I just love my faucet. ; ) I fill my coffee maker with it every morning and it effortlessly glides over and back easy as pie. I can see how pull-outs appear not very ergonomic, they're "backwards" after all! But I was surprised at just how ergonomic they are; instead of pulling it out and turning it around, I just hold it backwards. So easy to direct the water wherever I want it, and if I need the spray all it takes is a tap with the heel of my palm.

Probably the only thing that could make this faucet look better to me would be a cute puppy sitting under it...

• holligator
    15 years ago

I find the pull down far superior to the pull out, and I have experienced none of the "cons" with my pull down (a Kohler Vinnata). It has worked perfectly for every purpose we have. Mine is easy to get back into place and it never dangles.

My SIL's pull out (also a Kohler, but I'm not sure what model) is difficult to get back into its proper place, and my neighbor's pull out (no idea what brand) is difficult to pull out and to maneuver.

• boxerpups
    15 years ago

I want a cute puppy like buddyrose. I would take either faucet if I could have the puppy too. :)

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

hi, thanks for the fun sentiments re: my little "buddy".

stpindell one thing I do agree on, but it isn't such a big deal, is the wrist thing about using a pull out. My sink is 23" x 25" and when I'm washing my dog I have to twist the nozzle to get around him. But like others said, it's no big deal. I bet with a double sink instead of a single bowl, the pull out would even be easier to work with. I'm getting another faucet identical to the one I have for another house.

• nesting12
    15 years ago

I Just looked at tons of pull-outs and I loved the way they worked, but I wondered if they got yucky-looking fast? The rubber thingy on the top that you push to make it work looked pretty spent in the store, where they get lots of handling (but they will at home too). The pull downs looked cleaner. Or is the store just not cleaning those buttons enough?

Any types of bottons that are less prone to looking yuck?

Having a really worn-looking yucky button on the top of the faucet seemed counter to the whole point of a new kitchen :)

Oh, for full disclosure, I am not the neatest cook in the world, so what may not bother someone else because they are really careful about keeping it clean my bother me.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

DH and I both liked the hand "feel" of the Grohe LadyLux Cafe pull-down spray head--it just felt "right" to us (the shape, the heft). Ergonomically, it seemed like a good design and the smaller size of the sprayer (vs the sprayer end/arm of the pullout LL Plus) seemed to be a better size (for us) for getting into the sink corners or for use with smaller pots/pans.

The above posters are right about the displays, BTW. The faucets are usually not installed as they will be IRL. Our sprayer hose retracts smoothly, and the spray head "locks" into place. Even if it's not "locked" in, it doesn't fall down or dangle.

As for making the right choice, it's really a matter of personal preference. You have to try a few out at the store(s) and see which one feels right to you.

Good luck!

• epiccycle
    15 years ago

nesting12, my faucet (KWC) spray button is the whole top of the spray head. It has a rubbery coating that has stayed nice and clean looking over the past couple years.

A few years back when I was trying to make this decision for myself, pull-downs were the overwhelming favorite here, and may still be. I was either going to get that or a tall, non-spraying traditional gooseneck type faucet. Decided in the end to go low-profile to keep the view out my window unobstructed.

Either pull-out or pull-down would offer more flexibility than, say, this type of faucet...

• nesting12
    15 years ago

Frankoma, you would be surprised how similar my current kitchen is to the one you posted! Minus cats. But I think the cat helps-- at least he hides the old stained sink. The tile is identical, as are the cabinets, except... my counter tile is white. With (?- a color not known on earth) for a grout color. Same backsplash, too. Except white instead of yellow, same grey-ish sad old grout.

Any wonder that I am remodeling? AND I would like a medal for keeping the current set-up for almost 10 years.

We should have a prize for worse "before" kitchen. I think I might win :)

Back to faucets-- anyone else have experience with grunge-y buttons on their pullout faucets? Or ways to prevent it? Black does seem like an answer-- a lot of them have grey.

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

I have the Moen Aberdeen pull-down, and I adore it. The buttons are on the back side, so there is no visible plastic (and it's not gunky and a nice dark black). I have had no trouble with the head not fitting back in the spout -- and I don't have to pull it out all that often, since the reach is so nice and broad. It's very solid and lovely to use and I do find it much quicker to access the spray than my old Delta pull-out.

I didn't like how my pull-out prevented getting larger pots underneath it, so I really appreciate the greater height of the Aberdeen.

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Nesting12, my Blanco Aires pull-out is similar to Frankoma's KWC in that the entire top of the faucet is the sprayer button. No rubber button to get grungy-looking. Mine is metallic rather than black, but then again, so is the rest of my faucet.

I remember I was considering the Grohe Alira because I'd seen it in someone's house and thought it looked nice. But it has a gray rubber sprayer button, and in the store it had gotten so dirty looking from everyone handling it - I'm sure it would fare better in a home with less handling and more cleaning, but I decided I needed to get a black sprayer button, just in case. ;-)

Then I found the Blanco with the metallic sprayer - and that was that. Works great, and I find it ergonomic enough even though it's a pull-out rather than a pull-down. (I love the high-arcing look of pull-downs, but I have cabinets over my sink, so I didn't have room.)

{{gwi:1579756}}

• neesie
    15 years ago

I chose a KWC pull out after looking at many models at a kitchen specialty store. Whoever said the big box stores are of no help are right! The specialty store wanted around $700 for my model so I went directly to eBay and got it for about $300. The whole top of the head is the spray button and is so easy to operate. I simply didn't like the looks of the pull-down models.

Here is a link that might be useful: kwc pull-out faucet

• nesting12
    15 years ago

This has been tremendously helpful. Thanks you guys. I hoped this helped the OP too! But I know now that this kind exists, with the big button on the faucet head, so I'll get either the Blanco or KWC. I love the prices of the latter on Ebay and wondered if they were legit, so I can check that off now, too.

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Be careful with buying KWC on Ebay. My understanding of their warranty is that they only honor it if it's bought from an authorized retailer - which an Ebay retailer wouldn't be.

It was on that basis that I decided to get the Blanco instead.

• jessie21
    15 years ago

In love with my delta allora (pictured above as example of the pull down. None of the "cons" apply to this faucet. It is fantastic, docks so nice and securely, clean hard plastic button. LOVE IT.

• glad
    15 years ago

charlikin - i just had to laugh, since we acknowledged the similarity of our two kitchens. my faucet is the alira!!!
    i'd only seen it in pictures and didn't realize the top had rubber. pretty sure i'd have passed if i knew. i've only had it a year, but rubber is fine. i don't switch to spray all that often, though.

• datura-07
    15 years ago

charlikin,
    Is that also true about the warranty of sinks purchased on e-bay?

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Datura, depends both on the brand and the retailer. I bought my Blanco SS sink from Home and Stone via Ebay because I could get the best price that way - but Home and Stone is an authorized Blanco retailer. I think they're authorized KWC retailers also, and have good prices on KWC, but the prices are still up there with what KWC costs - you're not going to find a $700 faucet for $300.

When I was considering a KWC faucet through Ebay, the retailer was someone who had bought up a lot of faucets from a warehouse that was going out of business. She had a great price (more like the $300 range), but her faucets would not have been under warranty. At least the KWC faucets would not have - that manufacturer seem to be particularly strict.

From their web site:

"We advise you to only buy from authorized dealers (showrooms); they receive factory support, sales training and are equipped to handle any problems that may arise. If you buy our product from a non-authorized dealer the goods may be defective, damaged, non-conforming, and will not carry our product warranty. Some companies may use the term "authorized reseller" as opposed to authorized dealer. In this case, please check with us first to confirm if this dealer is authorized."

Here is a link that might be useful: KWC warranty info

• jake20
    15 years ago

I have found the king of all Contemporary faucets!
    Sleek, modern, and touch controlled!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bodPDqUTpf0

• jake20
    15 years ago

Video Link to the Delta Pilar

Here is a link that might be useful: Video of Delta Pilar

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

I thought the prices on ebay were a bit high. I eventually got my latest blanco sink, classic faucet and soap dispenser from Quality baths online. I bought the same blanco everything a year ago from a kitchen store nearby and saved almost $200 from the online site plus no tax or shipping. They're also blanco authorized dealers so I'm thrilled with my savings.

• nekothecat
    15 years ago

Am I the only person in the world NOT getting either a pull-down OR pull-out sprayer? I bought a faucet with side sprayer. I'll be getting 3 holes drilled - one for the handle, one for the faucet, and one for the side spray. Is this like I'm getting a beta max? I figured I could always switch it out for a pull-down (or out as the case may be) and use the third hole for a soap dispenser. The plumber told me the pull downs break so I got a side sprayer.

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

nekothecat I think it's just the opposite: the side sprayers break down. whatever you do DO NOT get a plastic side sprayer. they're crap. maybe not a beta max if you're buying a good quality faucet/sprayer. I prefer the sleeker look of having it all in one.

• nekothecat
    15 years ago

This is the faucet I was planning to have installed. I'm not going to bother with the soap dispenser though....I have those in my bathrooms and find them to be annoying. I have a side spray now that's been working for 25 yrs....but....I'm sure they don't make them as well anymore like everything else. Just wondering if a pull-down/out is the way to go since it seems like everyone is getting them.

{{gwi:2106148}}

• epiccycle
    15 years ago

Let's keep it fresh, okay. That side spraying faucet is like getting an HD-DVD. Betamax? That's more like a well and bucket.

Seriously, nekothecat, the handful of people posting on this thread are the tip of the iceberg of faucet-lovin' gardenwebbers, and many of them have faucets other than pull-outs and pull-downs. Just follow buddyrose' good advice and get a quality faucet, in whichever style suits you.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Do you have a friend who has a pull-down that you might be able to try? Will that sprayer stay on spray or do you have to keep the handle pressed down? I always had a side spray before but now that I have a pull-down I don't ever want to be without one! I defrosted some shrimp tonight and it was so nice to be able to pull the faucet head down close to my colander, set it to spray and walk away for a few minutes. The pull-down is nicely balanced so that it stays at whatever height I put it. It's so much more convenient to quickly pull it down and be able to reach every corner of my sink when I wash it. Mine goes back up into place very easily and securely, no twisting or fiddling with it required.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

One of the things I don't like about a side spray is that you have to hold the lever down to keep it on, i.e., it doesn't "lock" on.

They also seemed to never have the same force that a pullout or pulldown faucet's spray has.

I grew up w/a side spray & my parents still have one....I still don't like them. But, that's my personal experience & opinion. If you've had them and always like them, then go ahead and get what you like.

• nekothecat
    15 years ago

That's true - you do have to hold down the side spray the entire time. It doesn't lock on. I didn't know the pull down ones did that....something to think about! But I think it's too late I just found out the plumbing is going to be done right after my counters come in...which is tomorrow!

Maybe I'll swap out faucets in another couple of years...looks like I'll be stuck with side spray for now. I'll post pics of my finished kitchen soon. Thanks everyone for weighing in on this.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

bump test

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Regarding "dangling" heads on pull downs. Our Kohler Vinnata has been in use for well over two years now and it does not "dangle" even without the "magnetic" seat. Yes, you have to direct the faucet head up to the stem, but you have to do that with all pull out/pull down faucets and with or without the "magnetic" seat.

I can "seat" the head of my faucet in any direction...something that has com in handy many times. It reaches all corners of both bowls of my sink.