Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
antmaril

White or Very Dark Cabinets?

antmaril
10 years ago

Hi everyone. I have been lurking on GW for a long time. I think everyone is so helpful and there is so much great information available here. I am buying a condo which needs a new kitchen. I am at point now that I have to get serious about choosing kitchen cabinets. I have always thought that I would choose white shaker cabs, but I am drawn to the very dark espresso or even black cabinets with a light granite or quartz top.

I can hear my late father warning me about dust with the dark cabs. Does anyone have any experience with them? I am posting a photo and would appreciate your thoughts. I am not changing the footprint of the kitchen.

Comments (19)

• xc60
    10 years ago

We had dark brown almost black cabinets throughout in our last home and are putting them in our new build as well except in the kitchen we are doing white shaker on the perimeter and espresso island. They looked really nice and rarely looked dusty. I would quickly give a good wipe a couple times a month. We even had them in our very dusty laundry room and I was surprised how good they looked.

• tuxedord2
    10 years ago

With good lighting, the dark espresso cabs are gorgeous and I doubt dust is an issue. Many of the newer builds in my area are putting in dark cabinets with contrasting light counters. Really pretty.

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

Lo, the eternal question! I am going through this right now, although I have some time to work on it.

My recommendation is to take full advantage of Lowes' virtual design program (Google that) that you can use at home. It is amazing how plugging in some parameters can really help you decide which you like better. You can even change wall color, choose countertops that at least mimic the finish you want, and choose cabinet colors.

I am a firm believer that playing around a little right now can help save headaches in the end and stave off changes of heart.

• bellsmom
    10 years ago

My dark cherry and espresso cabs DO show dust and water splashes and dog-nose-smears if I let them go for a month. But it is very easy to wipe them off once a week or so. Just a damp cloth does it. No smearing, no need to polish or dry.

The trickiest part is getting dust out of the corners around the shaker-style door panels. If I were planning another kitchen, I'd check out doors with a slight rounding around of the stiles or whatever they are called around the central panel. I think that would make wiping them clean of dust easier and would not much affect appearance.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I have dark cherry cabinets and I do see more dust and drips. Before I had light/med cabinets fake oak. I did not see the dirty but it was there. Now I am forced to wipe the cabinets more often. It's probably a good thing, LOL.

• olga_d
    10 years ago

We have light maple cabinets in our kitchen and a buffet-type setup with dark brown cabs in the dining room (they are one big room really). I love how the dark brown cabs look with our light creamy marble but they definitely do show dust and splatters more. I will admit to not being the world's best housekeeper though so YMMV. ;)

• Texas_Gem
    10 years ago

I have deep rosewood stained shaker cabs with giallo Napoli granite. It looks great and the only place dust is noticible is on the horizontal surfaces like the top of the drawers or the bottom of the inset panel.

• antmaril
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, thanks everyone for your thoughts. I do think the kitchen is bright enough to handle the dark cabs. Even though the condo is an inside unit, there are three skylights (foyer, kitchen and great room) that bring in a lot of light (which makes me happy).

One thing that I forgot to mention is that I am retired widow (that makes me sound so old -- I am not really THAT old -ha!) so it will be just me (and no grandchildren yet).

One more question -- should I do a two-tiered peninsula facing the great room? I would love to eliminate the tiers, but the sink (undermount) is in the peninsula. Another decision - there are so many coming my way -- my head spins!

Thanks again!

• amck2
    10 years ago

Will you be putting in new flooring? If staying with the light floors, I prefer the darker cabinet choice.

We have black cabinetry in the mini kitchen in our lake house rec room and white in the main kitchen. I find both equally easy to maintain. I think dust issues are more of a problem on the horizontal surfaces of my other dark wood furnishings.

Regarding the tier on your peninsula, I'd be inclined to keep it. With counter stools, it seems to make a nice casual seating spot.

• Texas_Gem
    10 years ago

I would stick with the two theirs so the sink stays hidden and you have a nice eating spot.

• antmaril
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will be putting a wood floor in the kitchen and the foyer. I haven't chosen the wood yet, but it will a medium color (not too light or too dark).

I think you are right about the tiers. I should probably keep them for a clean look when I am in the great room.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

What's in the corner? What are your plans for the new corner? How far is it from corner to range?

In our old kitchen, there was a lazy susan between the sink and range, and that was it, so we had only 12" of prep space on each side. In the new kitchen, we moved the range a foot to the right, and it made a huge difference. If your OTR micro is not vented, you can put the range wherever you want.

What a fun project!

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

I think a lot depends on the area in which you live. I have only 1 friend with natural cherry cabinets (which I love). Everyone else has some variation of white, or a light wood (maple, hickory). I'm in a warm climate.

Floors here are light marble, tile, white oak, or honey maple. I'm one of the few who used wood floors, & every guest--even my son's friends--noticed them.

It was very different when I lived in MA.

• antmaril
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am in Michigan. I am re-doing this condo strictly for me. I don't care about resale (I am 62) because I hope to live here until I am too old to care for myself - yikes! I am leaning towards the dark cabinets because I have had light cabinets for the last 30 years. These would be very different for me. My worry is that they are in vogue right now, but I will tire of them. Of course, it is not like I am making this choice at age 30 - which would make a difference.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

They are in vogue right now? I have dark cabinets but actually thought they were "out". The point is who cares! Do what works for you in your kitchen, in your condo.

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

I am in Michigan, too! Very recently, though.

My suggestion, if you want dark cabs but don't want to end up trendy is to choose a ,ore traditional wood and/or style and get it in a dark finish. Make your cabinets a timeless canvas, and you can change pulls or counters to change it up in the future.

• antmaril
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What I mean is that I have seen quite a few kitchens with dark cabinets and light stone countertops in design magazines. I assumed that they are popular. Maybe I am wrong about that. Either way, I do like the way they look and may just go for it. I know that I should choose what makes me happy.

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

antmaril, I just thought of something I would share.

When I first started my design process I was set on using a shade of green I have used before and absolutely love. I did some mockups on the virtual designer with dark counters and cream cabs and my favorite green and fell in LOVE!!!!!

Then.....

I saw some photos of renovated kitchens where their "before" was color-themed just like my new one, and I started bumming because I didn't want my new kitchen to look "dated."

Then I started extensively viewing kitchens in the style I was considering and found LOTS of photos, including staged vignettes for cab advertising, with the exact same scheme or slightly varied!

I say this as sort of a follow-up to debrak2008; things go "in" and things go "out" but if you love it that is all that matters!

MY problem is loving too many styles and schemes. Go to Houzz or Google "kitchens with dark cabinets" and start running through the pictures. You will probably be able to tell which features you think you will be sick of in a few years and which are excellent bases for your design.

Your actual design style will affect how you do dark cabinets, too. Dark traditional is very different from dark mission or dark modern or dark country. Have fun with it, try not to stress too much! You have only yourself to answer to, so sky is the limit, right?

• antmaril
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Greenhaven - Thanks for your thoughts. I have been looking on Houzz for some time -- it is very helpful. Yes, the sky is the limit and it is exciting.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.