Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this design an improvement or prob with view from DR

Posted by alermar (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 9:24

I'm deciding between these 2 designs (I think). I like Design2, but it means that the DR will have a direct view of the cleanup sink (I'm a messy cook). It seems to be a good use of the (huge) island though. Is there a way to have the option of closing off the kitchen? The problem is the open bar counter (which DH loves). Thoughts?

Design #1 (but flipping the cooktop, prep sink & stools)
 photo Scan0014_zpsff76a115.jpg

Design #2
 photo a1aa535b-20de-485c-99d4-f633409c7592_zps73b96902.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this design an improvement or prob with view from DR

Or perhaps I should start over and get rid of the indoor/outdoor table. Maybe divide the island in half with a walkway in between -- one for prep/cooktop and the other for clean up? Like this
 photo 524137d1-d07a-4a7a-9f5a-514e8fd3a9f9_zpse89113a5.jpg

This post was edited by alermar on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 11:57

o

Here is a link to the original design thread:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0213170520238.html

o

I think design 2 is illogical. There's something I don't like about the sink being right opposite the cooktop. So I much prefer design 1. I don't think you'll mind having that big expanse of countertop around your cooktop. It will be prep central! I also think you should move those stools from the end to actually face the cook. Because when the stools are in use they're going to crowd your breakfast bar area way too much. Or jettison the stools altogether if you already have seating at the indoor outdoor table, seating at the living room bar and seating at the dining room table. Three seating areas is probably enough.

You could also consider satisfying DH's need for a bar and your need for stools by doing some more reconfiguring and adding an indoor/outdoor bar instead of a table, near the grill somewhere:

Not sure if those are a flash-in-the-pan idea or here to stay.

o

Just a quick observation about design 1 - having the fridge and cooktop opposite each other would not work for me cause i do a lot of standing in front of my cooktop and wouldn't want someone standing behind me opening the fridge doors.

o

Question - what if you put the beverage bar in the island, on the outside of the island, and hid cleanup in that nook where the beverage bar is? Your prep sink in the island could double as a bar sink. Range goes back on the wall between fridge and ovens.

o

I'd prefer option 1.

Wouldn't it be too hard to clean a 4' 8" wide island?

o

I agree -- frig and cooktop opposite won't work.
Hiding the sink where the beverage bar is makes sense, but DH really wants the bar there so that the wrap around counter that goes into the living room can act as a real bar with a couple of stools underneath. That's one thing I can't move. The indoor/outdoor bar thing is intriguing, but we don't have enough room between the pool and the kitchen.
The stools at the island aren't really for seating, they're for the cook (and maybe a helper) to rest her tired bones on ;)
We just finished at the cabinet/countertop place. Using design#1, they suggest having only one stack of ovens (put the micro somewhere else or do the miele combi oven). That would give me more counter around the sink and would move the sink over. The cooktop would either be opposite the sink (they're going to increase the aisle) or offset enough that it looks intentional. We'll see if that works.
You all are great -- I had so much more knowledge when I went this time. They hadn't planned on any outlets in my HUGE island!!

This post was edited by alermar on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 19:56

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here