Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

Using rustic stone/mortar as backsplash

greenhaven
10 years ago

I know this has probably been a topic beaten to death, but a search does not reveal just the right information I am looking for.

I am a year or two out from a kitchen remodel, and will soon be taking photos to share and working up layouts/footprints. For now I dream of design elements, but don't want to be wasting my time on a totally impractical idea

There is a link below to my favorite inspiration kitchen, some others can be seen on my same board

One of the things I lovelovelove the most about this kitchen is the rustic stone backsplash against the clean lines of counter and cabinets.

But, truly, is such a backsplash, heavy in mortar, a totally impractical idea? I want something that pleases my soul, but function MUST follow form, of course.

What say you?

Here is a link that might be useful: modern rustic kitchen

Comments (8)

• speaktodeek
    10 years ago

Actually, that is not a back splash but rather a wall treatment. I would never use such materials for a BACK SPLASH but they're fine for a wall where they won't get misted in grease aerosols. You notice in your picture that the cooktop has a BACK SPASH and the counter, as well, but they are not the masonry.

• Cindy103d
    10 years ago

I love that look in the right house, but agree that it would not be a practical backsplash.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Oh, that's gorgeous! I love it!!

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Actually, that is not a back splash but rather a wall treatment. I would never use such materials for a BACK SPLASH but they're fine for a wall where they won't get misted in grease aerosols. You notice in your picture that the cooktop has a BACK SPLASH and the counter, as well, but they are not the masonry."

Ooooh, I am following ya! So...yay? Yes, I do see now the backsplashes on the countertop and the stove. I mean I "saw" them before, but now I "get" it. ;)

Okay....so I do not do a lot of greasy cooking. Would similar backsplashes be enough to warrant such a wall treatment? Not sure I will have the room for it, but it would be nice to discount it now before I get TOO attached. I have significant inspiration stockpiled, ha ha.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Well, there are plenty of kitchens in Europe that have stone or brick walls, so if you have something similar to this backsplash behind the cook top/range, I think it may be fine. There are products to remove grease form stone/brick.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

That is a wall of mortar with stone. A wall of stone with mortar looks much better.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"That is a wall of mortar with stone. A wall of stone with mortar looks much better."

Maybe. I actually really like the proportion of mortar to stone in that photo, although I am usually with you. This is probably in my imagination, but I think that done this way gives the wall visual weight without being overly heavy.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

That's lovely!
    I have to say I don't ever, ever fry any thing. I'm not even sure I would know how anymore.

However, grout, mortar, matt-finish tile or paint not sealed is an effing nightmare. You ever tried to clean splashed spaghetti sauce out of those rough surfaces? Vegetable soup?

If you decide to do that finish, seal, Seal, SEAL it!
    Maybe with plexi-glass...