Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaches1980

Backsplash

beaches1980
11 years ago

Hello,

Our countertops have been in for a few weeks and now its time for our backsplash.

I had originally wanted glass subway tiles, but finding them in off white & cream was proving difficult.

Then I found this - it's a mix of glass and stone tiles. Here it is against my granite. What do you think? I want my granite to be the standout, not the backsplash so I am hoping this matches without competing.

Comments (46)

• mark_rachel
    11 years ago

I really like the combo. I think it would blend into the background really nicely with a very light grout. Can you take a picture from further away? I know some people think the long skinny tiles are on their way out, but if you like it, go for it.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I like it too.

• beaches1980
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your replies! : )

I don't have the tile board anymore, I had to give it back to the installer. But here is a picture of our kitchen, still under renovations...

I'm not worried about the tiles being "out" as long as they match and look good.

This post was edited by beaches1980 on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 20:25

• smiling
    11 years ago

The colors look just great on my monitor here!

• beaches1980
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the orginal tile we were considering. It's off white glass. It seems to have a strong green undertone, so I think the mosiac will be better. Sorry for the extreme close up.

Thank you again for your replies!!! : )

• amykath
    11 years ago

Lovely choices! I love your stone! Would you mind sharing more info on it?

What is it called and what colors are in it? Do you have a larger more expansive photo of it?

Thanks!!
    Amy

• purplepansies
    11 years ago

I agree that the mosaic is lovely with your granite. I do see green in the glass, too, so would pass on that tile.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

I think it will look perfect in your kitchen!

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I think the colors and style perfectly compliment your granite and the rest of your kitchen.

• Carrie H
    11 years ago

Your kitchen looks beautiful. I think either backsplash will work but prefer the mosaic myself.

• beaches1980
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for your replies, I feel WAY more confident in my choice now.

The granite we have is called Fantastic White or sometimes called Fantasy White. It is white, cream, a little bit of grey and some flecks of black. Here is a picture of our slab.

Thank you again - I love this forum!

This post was edited by beaches1980 on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 20:26

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

both are nice:I could see the smooth glass, considering all the interest in your floor and then plenty of other wood and patterned granite. does the floor really stand out? can't really tell what the typical view is,or how much the floor is on "display"....it's the first thing my eye was drawn to.

• mark_rachel
    11 years ago

You kitchen is very lovely and not fussy, or busy. I think the mosaic mix will add some character without overpowering the space.

• miffybunny
    11 years ago

Love the mosaic! I think it will go great with your kitchen.

• beaches1980
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi herbflavor - the picture makes the floor stand out, but it really doesn't look that way in real life. It's walnut with some variation, I love it.

Once the tile is installed, I will be sure to post a picture of the finished kitchen. Can't wait! Thank you again!

• blondelle
    11 years ago

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Even with the the tile being monotone and matching grout I still think it's too much pattern and too busy. You have so much pattern on the floor and in the granite, all those textures in the backspash is too much. I would use a larger format glass if you want that in a 6 x 12 tile as it's a cleaner, more modern look. It's not easy to find in those colors but it is out there. Nothing wrong with a green tinge either. Look how pretty a bit of gray/green looks in your photo.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I normally wouldn't like the mosaic but I think it does blend in nicely.
    The other option is for a basic creme/crema style tile or if you want to go bold - back painted glass.

I don't like the glass one that you show - it just doesn't seem to match.

Can you get the sample board back?

BTW - your kitchen looks wonderful and can't wait to see more shots!

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

I like the mosaic. I think the glass looks off in color and any glass would be too much shine beside the shiny granite. I like contrast in finish instead of color in some places, and the mosaic offers that. It will look great!

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Love love your granite and the mosaic tile is beautiful and looks like it matches perfectly in color, but I wonder if it would be too much combined with your granite that has a lot of movement. So many mosaics look great on a little sample, but grouted and in a large area it could be a completely different story.
    Can you get a bigger sample preferably grouted?

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    11 years ago

I love your granite and definitely prefer the mosaic. I think you'll need to be really careful about getting a complimentary grout color. Mosaics can look TOTALLY different with different colors of grout. I'm also very curiousâ¦would you mind sharing where you got your island pendants? I love them!

• beaches1980
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had the same feelings about Mosiacs but I really think this one is going to be a good fit...we are kinda at the point of wanting to just finish our kitchen and move on! We only did minor renovations and we are tired of the construction already. But I am very happy with my choice.

Our kitchen/dining & living room are open concept and the walls are all cream (BM Elimira White). So I think any pattern in the backsplash will be ok.

Thank you for the grout tip. I will test it before we put it up. : )

The hanging pendant was purchased at HD - We get so many compliments on them and it was such an easy/inexpensive switch.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/single-pendant-light-brushed-chrome-g9-with-glass-crystal-and-transparent-g/918296.

Thank you so much. When we eventually get started on our bathrooms I'm going to start at Garden Web!

• blondelle
    11 years ago

The stacked look is already dated and it's just too much. It might look all one color, but when the light hits it the glass pieces will look different against the matte stone and great even more pattern. The scale of the pattern on the tile is also similar in scale to the pattern in the granite which might not work. Another thing is that the pattern of the granite is random and the pattern of the tile is also random. The backspash should be an orderly pattern to contrast against the random pattern of the granite and a different scale. As a designer, all these things need to be taken into consideration.

Crossville makes any of their tile in many sizes of rectangles. A larger format solid tile with a bit of texture would be a cleaner, more modern look.

I do agree about the matte glass. Walker Zanger and Ann Sachs carry glass tile in all colors, sizes and finishes although they are a bit pricey.

You've done such a great job with this I would hate to have you choose something that is almost right just to finish it already. Just my $.02!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I am back looking at your sample - On this monitor - I am concerned with a bit of pink in the mosaic - is there any pink in real life?

• blondelle
    11 years ago

There are also some green tones in the glass in the mosaic. There is a bit of pinky tone in the granite. Look above the "AT" in the CERATEC. The problem is they never come in looking like the sample. The elements are always slightly different from the sample and you need just a bit of unwanted variation to throw it all off.

If you do go ahead with that, make sure you get a sample from the same lot you are buying first to help avoid any surprises.

• beaches1980
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone,

So first things first, I took Blondelle's advice and picked up a box of the tile and it was WAY different from the sample board. I was actually stunned and dissapointed. I would have been crying had I installed this without seeing the actual boxes of tile, so thank you Blondelle for that advice. I am sad that the monotone sample is not what they are actually selling... I REALLY liked the sample board.

So I am back to starting fresh. A warm white ceramic subway might just be what I need... any suggestions?

• karen_belle
    11 years ago

You can search Daltile's website and see plenty of warm white ceramic or porcelain tiles. Here's one example: http://products.daltile.com/series.cfm?series=162&item=2415&c=6

And here's another with a nice modern feel: http://products.daltile.com/series.cfm?series=178&item=2671&;

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Beaches. Wow now thats a cautionary tale for all of us. I would expect it to look different in mass, but not that different from the sample board! Do you think it's because the sample is mounted on black or were the tiles actually a different color? I'm curious to see the difference, can you show us a photo with both?
    Sorry to hear it, but happy that you discovered it before you installed it.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

What about something like 35ftcabo is thinking about using? The photo of the 2nd mosaic that's all one color.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0320350128387.html

Granite looks similar and its paired with dark cabs, different shade obviously, Would pick up the light in your kitchen, as does the glass in the (pantry?) door to the right, and complement the shiny hardware, pendants, faucet and look good with your chairs. Hard to tell if the tone is right, but maybe they have other shades.

BTW, concentrating on the backsplash I initially didn't pay attention to your cabs and they're great. Can you tell me who makes them and the type of wood and color stain? Thanks.

• beaches1980
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a picture of what was in the tile box. The stone is much darker and almost peachy compared to the sample board where it was all one color. I never would have picked a mosiac out that introduced a new color - that is why I like the sample board so much. I'm still so glad I didn't have this installed.

• beaches1980
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Island - thank you for your help. That glass tile is really nice, although a little to white for my kitchen. The simple look is perfect though.

We bought our house resale, so I have no idea where the cabinets came from. They are maple - that I know for sure. When we bought the house I wanted a white kitchen but couldn't paint or take these down, they are very nice even though they aren't what I envisioned.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Oh wow yes it does look more peachy. Nix that!
    Thought Cabo's might be a little too white, but I like how it picks up the light like the glass pieces in your mosaic.
    Back to the drawing board for you. :>). Please keep posting your finds. We all benefit from the mix and match backsplash experiments!

• beaches1980
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update! We ended up picking a plain longer subway tile in cream/off white. It was just installed and I really like it. We grout in a couple of days. Thanks for everyone's help!

Here is a sneak peek:

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Really great choice. Love it!
    What kind of cabinets are these?

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Looks sharp! Have you figure out your grout color yet?
    Who makes the tile?
    Congrats and can't wait to see the final reveal!!

• msrose
    10 years ago

Well, you can't go wrong with subway tile. Looks great!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Love it!

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Beautiful, can't wait to see it grouted.

• tmy_jax
    10 years ago

Wow! It's really fun to watch as GWers go through their decisions.. Love what you ended up with! Looking forward to your follow-up pics & details!

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

It looks beautiful! I adore your granite more than words can say! LOVE... Your cabinets are beautiful and everything you have done is perfect. The backsplash looks great.

Would you mind sharing what kind of sinks you have? I love your kitchen.

This post was edited by gr8day on Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 10:04

• rkb21
    10 years ago

Wow! Beautiful pairing of backsplash and gorgeous counters!

• beaches1980
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the supportive comments, it really means a lot. Now that the tile is up - there is no going back! : )

To answer a few questions.

We picked Alabaster grout. I hope it looks good...we will wait and see!
    The sink is a Blanco Silgranite Diamond - white.
    The cabinets are a dark stained maple. The cabinets were exisiting when we bought the house, so that is all I know about them.

Thank you again! So glad I found Garden Web.

• walmaryl
    10 years ago

Hi
    I just recently renovated my kitchen. I choose the fantastic white granite and now waiting on the backsplash. I choose the backsplash with some stainless steel see picture.

• walmaryl
    10 years ago

Hi

I have the same granite and choose this backsplash.

• Ivan I
    10 years ago

walmaryl, please post a picture or 5 !!

• lala girl
    10 years ago

beaches - that is gorgeous! Strong and simple - it looks stunning with your counter (and I am admittedly not a tile lover) - the BS looks like it just belongs there.

• deedles
    10 years ago

That looks great! Nice, simple, clean. Good choice.