Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ayerg73_gw

A fun pop of color...?

ayerg73
12 years ago

So, I'm thinking I need more pizazz in my tile choice.

What do you all think of a fun green? Maybe not exactly this color, but close. I think it pulls the green out of the veins in the soapstone. Also, my dining room that will be open to the kitchen after the reno has a green, cream and black color scheme. (I JUST realized that and thought I should tie it in - DUH! Shows how much we use that room, huh?)

Again, please excuse my sloppy photoshopping....

I just discovered Fireclay Tile and I'm totally loving their debris line!

Comments (27)

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

that looks nice...search out some more green shades and see what you come up with. It makes it look really fresh...curious about other shades of green.....maybe a tad softer so you don't get weary of it.[depends on total surface area you are thinking of]

• jjdcl
    12 years ago

I love green glass subway tile. I'm not crazy about that shade of green, but I get the direction you're going. I think it will look great.

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree the color is a little overwhelming. But it was a great photoshop worthy picture I used! :)

Here are some of their greens. I'd love to know what you all think might work because I'm going to call and have samples sent to me today.

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jjdcl - forgot to mention that this is a ceramic crackle subway, not actually glass. The Debris line is made up of over 60% recycled material including granite dust from a neighboring business. Love that!

• Bunny
    12 years ago

One of my local tile shops carries the Debris line and it's beautiful, with so many colors. Unfortunately, it's out of my budget. Out of the ones you've shown us, I like Sage and Fennel, but only putting them next to your counter material will reveal the winner. I'm going with crackle myself, so I'm partial.

• Missy Benton
    12 years ago

I love the green and I especially love the sage.

• docmamma
    12 years ago

I think green is a great way to go with the back splash. I love the sage too. What about the kelp?

• chiefy
    12 years ago

I think that's a gorgeous tile! I'm adding it to my list of ones to look at.

It's hard to give advice as to what shade to go for without pics of the adjoining space. On my monitor the "sage" seems rather gray although it's pretty, doesn't read as a "pop" of color.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

I think that line is scrumptious. Put me down for another "sage" vote with the soapstone. (Of course, I am biased; I have been planning on sage for my SS.)

One of my local tile shops carries the Debris line and it's beautiful, with so many colors. Unfortunately, it's out of my budget.

Can you spare me the heartbreak? About how much per sq. foot are we talking about here?

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Glad to see you guys think I'm on the right track! I do like the sage a lot. And the kelp too. I'm not sure what color is in my original picture above because they didn't specify which green it is. I am going to be sure and ask that when I call them too.

As far as pricing, when I called the closest store that carries it, they told me that the tile runs anywhere from $11 to about $24 sq ft.

There is an express line that Fireclay keeps in stock. They sell these for about 25% less and they take less time to get, since all the others are made to order. I forgot to add those colors to the mix...

I'm kind of partial to that Pacific as well. So many choices!

He quoted me for the moss color just to give me an idea and told me that was $13 sq ft for the 3x6 subway.

Compared to some of the other brands I've loved and priced out, this one is less. But I don't know what will happen when I quote other colors!

My dining room has Sherwin Williams Artichoke as one of the paint colors...

I'm trying to figure out how to link right to their site to show the color, but not sure how.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I'd use a darker grout (maybe a gray?) so you don't have the white grid...too distracting with the soapstone...but I like the idea of the green tile backsplash :)

• Bunny
    12 years ago

Angie, it's about $24 sq.ft. The Express line is slightly less. I'm a firm believer that one shouldn't let a couple hundred dollars keep you from the tile you love, but I decided that I could find what I liked for less.

• gregincal
    12 years ago

I'm pretty sure we're going with Fireclay debris for our backsplash. The tiles are manufactured about 20 miles from us, so it feels good to have something local, plus they're beautiful.

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lavender lass - I agree. That grout is too distracting with the soapstone. Nice call

linelle - what tile are you going with?

gregincal - I'm very jealous! I would love to wander around their showroom. What a great company! I'm loving all of their deco tiles too and will probably use some of those for my fireplace.

• Bunny
    12 years ago

ayerg73, I haven't put my money down yet, but I'm planning to go with Sonoma Tile Creamy Crackle @ $11.70 sq. ft. (non-contractor cost). I was looking exclusively at colors that would work, but limiting myself to $20 and under.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I love it. Love a bit of green for pop.
    ~boxer

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I know this is not the same style, but I just wanted to show you how much the green pops, with the darker grout. This is lovely tile and I'm hoping to use a similar backsplash somewhere...maybe around the vanity, in one of the bathrooms.
    {{!gwi}}From 1920s kitchen project

• Bunny
    12 years ago

I love green and originally planned to have something sage-y for a backsplash. Unwittingly I chose other elements that wouldn't support the green, so I will love your backsplash vicariously.

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys! You are making me feel a lot better about making a bolder choice than I originally planned. Every tile I've looked at up until now has been a problem for one reason or another. I think we've finally found our direction and I'm so happy!

I've got 6 greens coming from Fireclay. Can't wait to get my package!

Lavender Lass - that is very pretty tile. Funny thing is that Fireclay makes a shape very similar to that one too!

Boxer - thanks!

Linelle - I'm glad that you found a tile that works, and at a great price too! Green wasn't my first choice - probably because my kitchen is painted green now. But this tile is a huge upgrade of what I've got now!

• chiefy
    12 years ago

Sherwin Williams Artichoke - Dining Room Color

Sherwin Williams SW6179 Artichoke at MyPerfectColor

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, chiefy76!

With both colors on the same screen, I'd say that Artichoke is very Sage-ish...or, maybe Peabody-ish. You think?

Can't wait to get those samples!

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

(ayerg, sorry for a brief threadjack.)

Lavender, I noticed that last picture (@12:55) is in your album titled "1920s project." I am intrigued by the tile pattern, viz., "ogee drop" in the Fireclay catalog. My question is, do you have any knowledge or reason to think that that pattern was used in the '20s? I would love it if it were. Also, do you know where that picture is from?
    Thanks!

• sixtyohno
    12 years ago

Here's my green tile. It's pretty light, but it changes with the light.

• enduring
    12 years ago

All these pictures are gorgeous. the greens will look great I think. Lavender's tile picture is a killer. Love that look!

Here is a sort of green tile, but I bet they have a greener version or could do one. This may be a little out of character for your space, but isn't it lovely? It comes from North Prairie Tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: North Prairie Tile in Minneapolis

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sixtyohno - beautiful combination!

enduring - that IS lovely tile. The pattern is very cool!

• KristinF2012
    12 years ago

I absolutely adore the kelp with what you've shown us. I don't care for the sage quite as much, but with your dining room paint color I think that might be my choice.

I really like the tile - I'm still stuck on my own backsplash so I think I'll have to check it out for myself as well :)

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Kristin. After the call to the tile store, I found out that the color in my mockup is, indeed, Kelp. It's kind of growing on me too. I know it's a strong statement, but I think a different colored grout would help it to fade into the background a bit and the color just makes me smile.

I figure I can always repaint the dining room or tweak things if the color for the kitchen doesn't flow all that well.

Have you found anything from Fireclay that you love? They've really got some awesome stuff!