Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Positive and negative sink reveals

Posted by lucy0214 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 9:08

I have a whitehaven and needing some help on either a positive or negative reveal. Which is the norm? Can someone point me in the direction of the old threads, I can't find them. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Positive and negative sink reveals

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0507060418062.html?8

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1120534210631.html?3

Those are a couple : )

o

Honestly, it all boils down to where you prefer to have your "gunk" collect in the sink area. Undermounts are more popular with hard counters (granite), whereas overmounts are more practical for more fragile surfaces that chip easily and surfaces that aren't solid (formica). Because a large percentage of folks are using granite these days, you'll read a lot about undermount sinks on this forum, but it's by no means your only choice.

In terms of the reveal itself, I wrote a post in this thread with photos illustrating the relative "gunkiness" of each type of sink mount:

Sink Mounts & Gunk

o

And don't forget flush mounts, which is my preference.

photo sinkreveal.jpg

o

Circus- I loved your gunk post!

I went with a negative reveal as my DH liked the look. We couldn't do a flush mount with our sink.

Now that I have used the negative reveal, I think I like the positive better.
Gives you a larger sink space is the main reason.

Gunk has not been a problem :-)

o

I went with the positive reveal and I think it looks so much better and it is easy to clean. The granite installers will try to talk you out of this as it is much more labor intensive. If you like the look, hold your ground. There is no right or wrong here, just personal preference.

o

My apron sink is flush on the sides (m/l--it was DIY), with enough of a reveal on the back to accommodate a cutting board. I don't have gunk on the positive reveal, but I make a point of wiping it down whenever water collects there. I tried it flush on the back, without caulking, before deciding on the cutting board option, which I prefer.

o

I have a positive reveal and I'm glad. I don't like unseen gunk and I heard the negative could cause more dish/stone collisions. I don't use the ledge for a cutting board. My fabricator/installer said I could have a positive or negative reveal, but not flush. I assumed it was because it required them to be more precise (perfect) with the sink cutout.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here