Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mullions on some glass doors and not on others?

Posted by khallock (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 9:04

I am having 3 cabinets in my new kitchen with glass doors. 2 will be upper cabinets. One is a lower cabinet that will house cookbooks.

Is it OK to put traditional mullions on the lower cookbook cabinet? And then leave the top cabinets plain? My cabinets will be a shaker recessed panel with 3" styles.

I'm thinking the mullions will help to hide any messiness in the cookbook cabinet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mullions on some glass doors and not on others?

Mullions divide windows...muntins divide panes of glass...

I would be very concerned with glass front on a lower cabinet with or without muntins as they are more likely to be kicked or kneed accidentally.

Muntins or not, the level of obscuring is more in the glass than in the wood. Also keep in mind that where you want your shelves may not necessarily line up with where the muntins are....if they don't line up and the glass isn't obscuring, it could look odd.

In our bathroom we wanted to put the shelves where we wanted them so put in obscuring glass so you don't notice as much that the shelves don't line up. But in the picture, if you look closely, you can see that they don't.

o

I share Annie's concern regarding glass in a lower cabinet. I have two sons and my house is full of boys all the time. I would not but glass in a lower.
I also do not think I would like muntins in some doors and not others, it would look a bit mish-mashed to me.

o

What age/style is your house and kitchen? Single pane or wood uppers and divided lights in lowers were pretty common in 1920s kitchens, especially where the lowers served as twin dividers between the kitchen proper and the breakfast area. I've known many, many, many people with glass lower bookcases and not a lethal laceration among them. You'll need tempered glass, though.

o

I've had glass doors in a lower cabinet before. It wasnt an issue. I didnt have kids then either though. But this island does not have seating. I feel like you'd have to run up to it and deliberately kick. Does that happen?

o

So I am envisioning something like this. But my cabinet will be 48" wide and I am having natural maple 3" styles with a recessed door

My house was built in the 90's, it looks like this. The downstairs has an open floorplan.

And this is the current kitchen. The new island will not be diagonal. the bookcase will face into the seating area.

o

Ok, trying this again.

Will it look wierd to have traditional mullions on a base cabinet bookcase like this

and then have mullions like this on a couple of upper cabinets??

o

In my opinion, yes, however I do think you could get away with having muntins on the bottom and none on top.

o

Those muntins are two completely different styles born of two completely different eras. Yes, they look bad together.

o

My thoughts...If you have 2 glass cabs on the top, why does DH want glass on the bottom. You lose so much ability to store whatever, whichever, however when you make that cabinet such a focal point and I found that bottom level storage is such a premium due to the lack of reaching, I wouldn't want to have to keep it for just "show". We included a 12" deep cab on the end of our island, and it is so handy to store things because it isn't deep and it's so convenient because everything is easy to find.

o

Thanks, my initial thought was no. But Hubby thinks its ok.

So with a 3" style recessed square panel door, which would you choose? I am thinking traditional on the lower and nothing on top. Or I could do traditional on top too.

o

"I feel like you'd have to run up to it and deliberately kick. Does that happen?"

Yes, that is a distinct possibility with young children. I am also picturing that green and yellow vehicle being driven straight into a lower cabinet. We have nearly full height glass panels in our pantry doors, but they are tempered glass since the glass is in reach of the kiddos.

Personally, I like my cookbooks behind solid wood doors so they don't have to be organized neatly for display.

o

Yes, that is a distinct possibility with young children. I am also picturing that green and yellow vehicle being driven straight into a lower cabinet.

Sometimes it's best to let Darwin do his thing.

o

We have a mullioned cab at the end of our island and I really like it. Holds some little knickknacky things in our case. I don't have a good current pic of it, but below is one from our reno in progress so you can see the effect.

Bottom line, I don't really think it will hide your cookbooks much because you can really see into it quite clearly still. So if hiding them is the goal you should perhaps consider some sort of wavy glass. Oh, and I think that if you do mullions below then the mullions in your uppers should match for consistency.

photo DSCN3301sm.jpg

o

II think the glass should be the same for the upper and lowers, and if you twisted my arm to make them different I would say the most ornate should be on top, however you'd really have to torture me to OK that! :>)
Regardless of style I think glass on the bottom to "hide" cookbooks is a bad idea since they wouldn't be hidden. They aren't attractive and do you really want to see them from the seating area? Too utilitarian. And the cabinet is 48" wide? You mean that's how wide the cookbook area would be, covered by approx two 24" wide doors? That's a lot of visible clutter. I'd rather put them behind solid doors and have the option to hide whatever I wanted in there.

o

Now you guys made me look up the mullion vs. muntin thing. The really confusing part is that these terms are sometimes used interchangeably by sites which should know better, like window and architectural places. They really are different terms, but a little confusing. Then I found this:

and this:

o

Thanks everyone. That was an old picture and we don't have that green and yellow car anymore..so no chance of it being ridden into my cabinet. DH wanted the lower glass cabinet and DH is getting it.

I went with a totally different style door. It was the one we had in our last house that we both liked best..

And I would have liked to "hide" the cookbooks behind wood doors. But DH says no messiness and clutter and supposedly I promised to be neat and clean. So there shouldn't be a mess to hide.

o
RE: Mullions on some glass doors and not on others?z

Thanks everyone. That was an old picture and we don't have that green and yellow car anymore..so no chance of it being ridden into my cabinet. DH wanted the lower glass cabinet and DH is getting it.

I went with a totally different style door. It was the one we had in our last house that we both liked best..

And I would have liked to "hide" the cookbooks behind wood doors. But DH says no messiness and clutter and supposedly I promised to be neat and clean. So there shouldn't be a mess to hide.

o

I cringe at taggie's picture....doesn't need to be a 3 or 4 yr old child....my DH would be more than apt to knock that ladder leg right into that glass pane!

To me, it's just not wise to put glass under a counter where people's feet and knees are.

If you want to hide the books, then hide them behind solid doors. If you are going to keep them neat and don't mind displaying them, then leave the bookshelves open. But glass IMO is just an accident waiting to happen, esp when it's under a counter where it's not directly obvious to your eye. At the very least, if you want something like glass that is obscuring, then at least look into plexiglass...maybe get a frosted look....

My cookbooks are in open shelving on my island...we thought we'd never have anyone sitting there as there is no overhang on the ends, but when the party gets large enough, someone pulls a stool up and they sit. If there were glass there, yikes!

IAC, I agree with the others that the muntins should match within the space.

o

mutton chops

leg of mutton

mutton sleeve

o

But DH says no messiness and clutter and supposedly I promised to be neat and clean.

At least some degree of messiness comes from not having places to put things without doing a 3-D jigsaw puzzle every time you want to take out/put away stuff. To a certain extent designing your new kitchen so that things have an accessible place to go is a big help. The other thing is paring down your belongings - you don't really need a half dozen 2 qt saucepans.

-says the person who has a quilt project all over the peninsula that's been there for 3 weeks.

o

"But DH says no messiness and clutter and supposedly I promised to be neat and clean."

Wow.

o

Do cookbooks really get that messy on a bookshelf? You put them in, you take them out...

o

Never mind!

o

Annie, no one sits at the glass cabinet door!! The dog does go Barreling through the passageway though, and I do mean Barreling with a capital B, but I guess we just like to live on the wild side, lol. We also have a curio cabinet at the end of the aisle. He hasn't crashed into that yet either. (i hope i didn't just jinx myself!!!)

Pic attached ... you should probably close your eyes because if a cab door is cringe worthy then a curio cabinet might be in heart attack inducement territory. :-)

photo DSCN3078_zps29fc710d.jpg

o

I won't have anyone sitting at my island either. No stools to worry about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here