Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly2305

Pics of DIY remodel for 5K

holly2305
16 years ago

So inspired from reading this forum, we just completed a DIY redo on this very dated kitchen.

Granite, sink & faucet cost $3,000.00 and appliances were $2,000.00 on sale.

Painting, beadboard and soffits were DIY.

The painting was a killer, but so worth it after all.

Comments (68)

• amck2
    16 years ago

Love your amazing transformation! Your pictures will be inspiring to the many people who are contemplating...or knee-deep in...a DIY project.

Clean, crisp, fresh, lovely kitchen!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

What a great change! I can't believe you made that change for 5K!!! Ya'll need your own decorating show heh heh

• janwad
    16 years ago

If you'd left off the old picture, this would have passed for any extremely well done 50,000 remodel. Amazing job!

• miaolinwei
    16 years ago

Awesome job, congrats, your cabinets looks brand new after you painted white.

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

That's just fabulous. Anyone can throw money at a project (well, anyone with money :)) but it takes true vision and dedication to create something like what you have for $5K. Even the stools are amazing--they fit perfectly, look substantial, and I like them so much more for learning the price :) Who would think of looking in a Christmas Tree shop for stools? (unless that's just the name and it's actually a furniture store?)

May I ask what wall color you used? The color over on the left--we see just a bit of it. TIA :)

• holly2305
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The wall color is BM Crown Point Sand. It is from the Historic Colors and is one of my favorite, and most versatile, wall colors.

• cooperbailey
    16 years ago

Beautiful just beautiful!

• muscat
    16 years ago

Really nice transformation. I dont usually like bead-board, but your use of it on the peninsula was perfect.

• bungalowdawn
    16 years ago

Amazing. You would never believe you could do all of that on your budget. Very impressive and such a beautiful, sunny, bright kitchen! Congrats.

• november
    16 years ago

it looks fantastic! very well done. I love the beadboard and stools. What granite is that? Everything is just wonderful!

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Wow, that is one beautiful kitchen. Great job!!

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Wow, that's Crown Point Sand? Wish it looked like that in my house :) Thanks.

• holly2305
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The granite is Blue Pearl, although it is hardly blue....more black/gray/silver.
    Thanks for all your kind words. As I said before, this forum was my inspiration!

• holly2305
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The granite is Blue Pearl, although it is hardly blue....more black/gray/silver.
    Thanks for all your kind words. As I said before, this forum was my inspiration!

• klb9596
    16 years ago

Can I ask how you went from exposed hinges to concealed hinges? Did you need any special tools to drill or recess the hinges on the interior of the doors?

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Fabulous!

• amsunshine
    16 years ago

Very nice, money saving remodel! I have Crown Point Sand in my kitchen, too! Love the color -- and it does look great in lots of different settings (my cabs are maple). Congrats and enjoy!

• malhgold
    16 years ago

That is simply amazing and beautiful!!! I love what you did with the soffits. And most people take them out these days. You must be so happy every time you walk in there. Congratulations.

• pharaoh
    16 years ago

Holly,

WOW! You should be in a magazine. that looks terrific. I am always amazed at what DIYers can achieve and that too on a budget. It is one thing to spend 75K and get every little detail down but when you are on a budget, the outcome is so much sweeter :)

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

I love the way you created the "to the ceiling" look! How did you do that? You give me hope...

• mrsmarv
    16 years ago

One word ~ Absolutelybeautifuljustgorgeousholycowthat'samazing!

• mamadadapaige
    16 years ago

you are a genius!!! congratulations. it is truly stunning and just amazing that you did this with $5K

• arleneb
    16 years ago

Ditto all of the above . . . beautiful job! You should be very proud of yourself!

• calisamcn
    16 years ago

Wow, a "high end" look for only 5K! It looks so beautiful! That is what we would've done if our layout was functional in the first place. It wasn't...

It will be an inspiration to those who can't afford new cabinets/labor but has a small budget to update.

Enjoy!

• lascatx
    16 years ago

Great job! And you were smart to take the time and deal with replacing the hinges. That's one of those details that really does make a difference. I think the soffit treatment is another one. I like beadboard, but a little can go a long way, and I think you got that right too.

• gsciencechick
    16 years ago

I am inspired!! This is exactly what we want to do. Repaint cabinets and get blue pearl granite and new SS appliances.

I will take your advice on the hinges.

Can you give more details on how you painted the cabinets or a link that you used as a reference?

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

Incredible transformation!

Jodi-

• boxiebabe
    16 years ago

FABULOUS! Please post more pics! Great job!

---Boxie

• lsst
    16 years ago

Absolutely Beautiful!
    What brand paint did you use to paint the cabinets?

• holly2305
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I used BM Linen White in a latex semi-gloss. My cabs were oak so I cleaned them with TSP and sanded them with one of those Mouse Sanders (you know it looks like a little iron?) The pointed shape of the sander was perfect for getting into the recessed corners of the doors. I used 2 coats of latex primer and sanded and caulked like mad. Then 2 to 3 coats of the paint. I used one of those small foam rollers most of the time, but on the last coat I used
    a good chinex brush (recommended at paint store.)
    I used cardboard boxes (like gift boxes)to elevate the doors wbile I painted so I could get the edges. I had a large table set up in my basement. It took 2 weeks and I worked on 6 pieces at a a time.
    Here are more pics.

• jmzms
    16 years ago

WOW! This looks fantastic. I've painted kitchen cabinets in two homes now, so I can feel your pain on that one.

• starpooh
    16 years ago

May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog? If so please submit the FKB checklist so I can easily categorize your kitchen. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• amberley
    16 years ago

This is amazing! You should be very proud! $5000 is anazing budget to pull this off! BRAVO!!!

• holly2305
    Original Author
    16 years ago

gsciencechick, One more tip.....
    As you can see, I had to change the cab pulls to knobs, so I had an extra hole to fill.
    Instead of wood filler, you can use a dowel that fits ( I found them at the craft store) Mark off the length you need , cut the dowel, wood glue it in, sand and caulk.
    HTH.

• busymom2006
    16 years ago

Holly - you really did an outstanding job. Congratulations on your beautiful kitchen!

How much remodeling experience did you have going into this project? Have you ever remodeled a kitchen before? Your solutions are just so well thought out and creative. I never would have thought to use beadboard the way you have!

Also, did you have a hard time finding blue pearl granite in that deep blue color(all that I've seen has been in a sort of pastel blue color)? Did the yard have to order it
    special for you?

Also, how much time did this all take?

Thanks for sharing your pictures!

• don_chuwish
    16 years ago

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I HATE your kitchen. But don't worry, it's just jealousy. ;-) We had pretty much the same 'before' as you. Now we're already committed to a refacing for a lot more money and your solution is fantastic. We just didn't think painting the cabs could look all that great - we were wrong!

- D

• kylan
    16 years ago

Wow, what a transformation. Beautiful kitchen!

• olchik
    16 years ago

WOW!
    What a transformation!!!!
    You have done such an AMAZING job! I am speechless!

• many_hats
    16 years ago

Holly, I have a couple of questions for you. I have bathroom cabinets in 1980's golden oak I'm thinking of painting instead of replacing. Besides the dowels to fill the old handle-holes, what else did you caulk? Did you use anything to "fill in" the oak grain or is the grain still visible (but just not noticable in the photos)? Thanks!

• tartanhabit
    16 years ago

Having painted many doors with tricky trim in my time, I am so impressed by this job. The whole thing looks beautiful and I know what hard work this must have been. How inspiring!

• jennye
    16 years ago

It is simply beautiful! I love it! I never would have thought 5k...much more than that....Congratulations.

• bellsrus
    15 years ago

Awesome job! We're getting ready to sell this house to move to a house we're building. If we had the time/energy, this is what we should do to our kitchen before we list this house, but we have 2-3 times the number of cabinets and amount of counter, so it would be a lot more costly and take a lot more time (not to mention that we hate to paint!).

Congrats on a beautiful re-do! (Wanna come and do mine for me??) :-D

Patti

• holly2305
    Original Author
    15 years ago

many hats,
    I had to caulk the areas where the center panel meets the trim on the doors. You will see where you need to fill as soon as you prime. My cabs were arches and I had to fill the rough spots on the arch curve. If you really really, really look close you can see a bit of grain on the raised panels, but mostly the many coats of primer and paint seem to level things out. I did do a lot of filling/caulking but it was not that hard to do.
    I worried about the grain on the oak, but believe me, once you change the hinges and knobs/pulls, the transformation will be so amazing that you will not notice it much, if at all.

• marthavila
    15 years ago

This is such a fantastic job you have done! It is clearly proof positive that you need not throw wads of money at a design project in order to emerge with a truly good-looking, well-serving kitchen. Your creativity, hard work and determination are priceless. Congratulations!

• Snbtwins
    15 years ago

Wow, excellent job. I think I have the same cabinets as you and you have inspired me to try to tackle painting them.

I can't believe you got your granite and appliances for $5k, that is fantastic!

Where did you get your pendant light?

• many_hats
    15 years ago

Thanks for your reply Holly. You've inspired me to try and paint one of our smaller bathroom vanities....and if it turns out as well as your kitchen cabinets did then I'll be very pleased and may even do the larger vanity and some laundry room cabinets.... Thanks!!

• scotlandyard
    15 years ago

Wow!!
    Way to go.
    Everything looks so sharp.
    I cannot believe you got all that and did all that for so
    little money.

How smart that kitchens looks.

• westsider40
    15 years ago

It is a mega buck looking kitchen. Great taste. I can only add my applause to all the others. Fabulous. Bev

• louisianapurchase
    15 years ago

That is crazy fabulous!! Like I said in another post, I am amazed at those of you who refinish your own cabinetry!!

• prgal76
    15 years ago

You're an inspiration to budget remodellers everywhere. You should submit your story to Budget Kitchens magazine. Beautiful work!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz