Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark_rachel

Tell me about Laticrete Grout

mark_rachel
11 years ago

I want to use the Laticrete Spectralock grout. I want the grout to be nearly the same color as the tile. So I'm thinking mushroom. I picked the color from the plastic slide stick board. Will the color actually dry that color? Should I go darker, should I go lighter to get the correct color?

Comments (17)

• mark_rachel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not a great picture, but here are my options. The top one is ant. white..... Middle one is mushroom....... Bottom one is latte. Am I thinking too much about this? I know the are all very similar.

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

I'd pick the latte-is that the one on the right?

• jerzeegirl
    11 years ago

I used Laticrete mushroom on my floor and it is lighter than I expected but I really like it. Since my tile has a range of colors in it, it was difficult to match to one color and we wanted the grout to be on the lighter side.

The problem is not the color. The problem is how dirty light grout gets. But on a backsplash that should not be a problem at all.

• mark_rachel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, if the pic is turned.
    Right- latte
    Middle- mushroom
    Left-antique white

• catbuilder
    11 years ago

I would do the one on the right. It sounds like you want it to blend in, and a darker shade will do that better.

• katy-lou
    11 years ago

Sample it up. Will cost about $10/10lb bag of grout and some time but then you'll know and won't second guess yourself

• mark_rachel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laticrete cost more then $10/ 10lb bag. I'm not against sampling it, but I would like to get it right on the first try.

• enduring
    11 years ago

This is how you "sample it up":
    1) go to Lowes
    2) buy ONE tub of the spectralock they have, around $20. This will be parts A & B.
    3) buy the number of cartons of color about $4 each, that you want to sample. These are part C. I'd buy the latte for sure and another one or 2.
    4) get your plastic spoons out and plastic disposable cups. All this will be thrown away when done.
    5) get 2 strong clips, I use the spring steel type with the handles that fold over, that you find in office supply sections of Target or Walmart (to reseal the epoxy bags between test if you want to try again later with other colors)
    6) Read the instructions carefully to get a feel for the process, the supplies needed, etc.
    7) Have your dried tile sample board made up and ready. Have room to apply several grout samples and room for labeling which grout you have in that location.
    8) spread out your protective cloths and arrange your ingredients. Label your cups for the colors you will use. Get your sample board nearby and have areas labeled if needed. Open the cartons of color.
    9) you will measure exactly the same amount of each spectralock A & B ingredient into each sample cup. So, using one spoon take the same amount of spoonfuls out of bag A and fill each sample cup identically. You can leave the spoon in one of the cups to use for stirring later. You will have time to work each sample before it dries so don't worry about time. take the clip and fold the bag shut and clip. Next, take a new spoon and do the same for part B.

1. Mix the small batches each having its own spoon, until it is consistent in color, all the amber color is now mixed in. Leave the spoons in the cups.
    2. now add just enough of each colorant to it's corresponding sample cup. Mix to consistency of peanut butter or a bit softer.
    3. Now apply the grout to your sample board in the locations determined.
    4. have a bowl or plastic tub with a couple of cups of water with a couple of tablespoons of vinegar in it. It is great at cleaning this stuff up.
    5. allow to dry for 24 hours before you determine if you like the color or not.
  • a2gemini
    11 years ago

My tile guy brought 2 different bags and we did a "dry" run and I went with the AW even though I thought I wanted the darker one.

He had both bags and we put the dry grout in with the tiles - and yes, AW was a winner for me.

I like the mushroom

• luckymom
    11 years ago

Lowes, at least in 100 miles radius of us, has quit carrying the Spectralock. Closed it out months ago, but ymmv...

• corgimum
    11 years ago

Enduring- that is an awesome tutorial! Saving it for when I get out of the ABB club.

Teachertile- I like the latte color. On my phone I can't see a difference between the other two colors.

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

I like the mushroom. But I agree - do up a sample of each. Be sure to let it dry for a day or more, and put it under your under cab lights. GL.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

For a backsplash rather than a floor, you want more of a contrast element with the tile so that you can notice the pattern. I'd go either lighter or darker, not the "same". How much lighter or darker will depend on the other elements that it's coordinating with. But, you want enough of a color difference to "see" the tile.

• mark_rachel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've selected a busy granite, so I don't want the backsplash to look busy. The granite goes in tomorrow so i can get a better idea then. I just want it to blend into the background. I'm leaning toward the latte now.

• mark_rachel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've selected a busy granite, so I don't want the backsplash to look busy. I just want it to blend into the background. I'm leaning toward the latte now.

• corgimum
    11 years ago

I think you will notice the tile since there is some variation in it. A matching grout will look good.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

I used spectralock epoxy grout for a small DIY marble floor tile pad at my back door. It's not something that I would try myself for a large area. The rinsing regimen is scary, the grout does not get hard until it does, all at once. So you are rinsing (and rinsing) around very soft grout. Most pro's I know will not go near it.
    All those cons, but if it is done right it is bulletproof. I spilled oil stain on it and the tile, and it wiped right up! Marble tile yet!
    Casey

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus