Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindar2540

Cabinet Color

lindar2540
10 years ago

Hi, I am looking to paint my cabinets a cream color, does anyone know of a nice cream color for cabinets. I have researched pictures but most don't give names.

Thanks in advance.
Linda

Comments (7)

• Kooops
    10 years ago

I am getting ready to paint mine. We are having a small addition placed on our eat in area in the kitchen. As soon as the dust settles, I'm painting!

I went through TONS of samples and did a test paint job on a bath vanity cabinet. I went through many "nice creams" to land on one that I think I like. I say "think" because I may still change it. You will have to get samples and try them in your kitchen with your counters and lighting and walls etc.

In the end I'm going with BM Linen white- tinted 2 times. Sounds crazy but it was the perfect color as the actual Linen White was a bit too light.. It was actually an accident as the paint store mixed it wrong in one of my sample cans.

I also tried white dove, mascarpone, simply white and a few more I can't think of right now. All BM

I'm going with Cabinet Coat paint (from BM). I loved the way it went on and how it hardened up.

Good luck- the world of white is vast and you can get lost in it!

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/color-gallery#&ce_vm=2&ce_fam=11

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

I think there are a million threads on the color white, let alone 10 million threads with "Show me your..." involved. Then, of course, you have the Reveal threads, where people list their choices, products, COLORS, etc.
    Try a search on those words.

Maybe that will help you more quickly.

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

Also remember that the perfect white in someone's photos may not be the perfect white for you. First there's the photo thing, so it's hard to tell any fine differences, but also the light in your kitchen can make a huge difference.

Do check out what people have used here that they love, but then it's time for a trip to the paint store. Find sample strips which have the ones you think might do the job, but also pick up some others that strike your fancy. Tape them to your cabinets and mull them over. Discard the ones that are obviously wrong. Keep culling until you're down to a few, then back to the paint store. Buy some samples or quarts and paint some boards and prop them up in your kitchen. My paint store carries some specific use boards for this purpose, but I suppose any number of things will work. When you have the boards in place, you'll be ready to say, "That's the one!"

I used a white called Bavarian Cream (BM) for the trim, which started in the kitchen but we liked so much we've used it for the whole house. As far as I can tell, no one else here has used that color. It works well in this house and I'd use it on cabinets if we were doing white. On screen, Bavarian White looks very yellow to me:

but on my wall, it doesn't look yellow at all:

I think this happens a lot, hence the importance of taking colors home and trying them out.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Boy Suzanne, have you a point!

My monitor resolves anything tan, taupe or khaki as pink.
    Your pictures are resolving as blue.

I'm using a gorgeous Glidden color 'Natural Linen.' Depending upon the room -- because I've painted it all over the place -- it is a grayed cream, a distinct sage-y gray, and even a pinkish gray. My home is extremely bright, so the shadows change everything.

I'm also using a former Duron (now SW) color 'Tinderbox' on some cabinetry. It's definitely a sagey-gray. However, sometimes the 'Natural Linen' is a distinct match. I also find Valspar's 'Colonial Beige,' BM 'Sag Harbor Gray' and Valspar's 'Natural' to be completely compatible in some rooms, and glaringly off in others.

In the room where I'm building cabinet doors right this minute, they all look exactly the same and I have to label the backs so I don't mess it up. Take a finished door into the kitchen and the contrast is incredibly distinct.

How does one make a decision, anyway!?!

• lindar2540
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the answers, I am selling my house and just trying to update the cabinets since that seems to be the consensus of the buyers. I want a creamy warm color, I was looking at Mayonaise in Benjamin Moore. My house does have a lot of light and I don't have to worry about the countertops because I am putting in new granite ones and a new backsplash. Just want to pick a neutral color so the buyers will like it, I just didn't want a white wanted to be a little warmer since all the colors in my house are warm. My walls are a dark brown, and we just put in a new floor with shades of grey and browns.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

I used BM Frappe. This swatch does not seem quite right to me, but that just reinforces that you really have to check them out in person in your light.

more pictures of my kitchen painted cabs

• vedazu
    10 years ago

I have one kitchen in BM Ivory Tusk, and in a second house I used Mayonnaise. Mayonnaise is quite light--Ivory Tusk is much warmer--really a cream. My favorite!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES