Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rainflying_gw

Suggestions on adding cabinets

rainflying
11 years ago

Hi All,

This is my first post here and I really appreciate your input. We bought a townhouse with a pretty small kitchen. Since the cabinets are limited, we want to add more of them in the dining area. We really need more cabinets and countertop area to hold my kitchen appliances (coffee maker, mixer, bread maker, etc.).

Here is my remodeling idea in sketchup. I don't have any experience on this and I am worried that this may not be practical in real life. Any ideas?

Thanks,
-rf

First picture is the original kitchen cooking area.

Comments (19)

• rainflying
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dining area:

• rainflying
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I want to extend cabinets along with the fridge, and add a small bar table under the window.

• rainflying
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the view from upside. The dining tablet is ~45" diameter. I want to buy an extendable one in case there are guests. Usually we just have two people.

• rainflying
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a picture for the corner where I want to add more cabinets and bar table.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I am having trouble understanding why you want to have the bar seating right next to the dining table. Why would you use one vs. the other on any given day?

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

I think you would be better served by putting a banquette with storage under it at the window. I'm also concerned about your clearances. Do you have a scale overhead diagram with measurements that you could post. I think that a small portable cart would add a lot to your current prep space as is, but there may be a more efficient tweak to be had, if we can see the overhead with measurements. Also, including the adjacent spaces and their measurements (whole house diagram) would be helpful in order to see traffic patterns.

• smiling
    11 years ago

GreenDesign's idea for a banquette under that window is a great addition to that space. It looks as if the window looks out to a fence, so a table height instead of a bar height could give you good light, but avoid looking straight at the fence. You could also add a few cabs next to the fridge, and mabe turn the corner with a short penninsula that divided the kitchen and dining area, which would give you a serving counter there. Is that a cork floor?

PLEASE explain how you got Sketchup files to show in your posts!! I cannot figure out how to load them here, and I will be deeply, truly grateful for an explanation! Do you somehow export your file to a third party site the way it's done with photos? Many Thanks in advance for any help.

• rainflying
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Angie_DIY. I want a bar table there because usually I prefer the bar for drinking or drinking while working. And we use dining table is for meals and guests. However, I realize that it is hard to make them live together in a tiny room.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

You might have room for some type of bar seating, but we'd need the layout of the entire space to see what can be planned. Seating facing against a wall, even if it's at a window, is very awkward. Very awkward.

If the photograph is the actual space, it looks reversed from your drawings. But, a small peninsula out from the staircase wall can let you have your counter seating and still have room for the table with the banquette in the corner.

• rainflying
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks GreenDesigns and similing. I will try to make a overhead diagram as soon as possible. The floor is concrete.

To get sketchup pictures, I use "File->Export->2D Graphic", and you have to rotate to the right angle beforehand..

• rainflying
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi GreenDesigns,

You are very clever, yeah the real world picture is the reverse of my room. There are many units for that building so I download one with the same layout as ours (but mirrored).

I think seating facing window is very natural. Looking through the window is our backyard. And here is where I got the idea from:

Please let me know if I am not allowed to post links.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/12th-street-residence-contemporary-kitchen-san-francisco-phvw-vp~298189-of-kitchen-through-rear-door-modern-kitchen-san-francisco

https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen-modern-kitchen-new-york-phvw-vp~1209414-modern-kitchen-new-york

• rainflying
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here comes the overhead view. This is the first time I made such a floorplan. Let me know if something is not clear to you.

I am thinking of making the planned cabinets to regular cabinets (without countertop, use table top instead). And also a possibility is to make it smaller (instead of standard 25 1/2 inches, maybe it is good to shrink to 20".

thanks,
    -rf

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I'm the last person who'd be called a layout expert, but your fridge seems to really cut up your working counter space. There's very little prep space between your sink and stove, yet a sizable chunk on the other side of the fridge. Any chance of moving the fridge over to give yourself more prep space?

• rainflying
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am afraid that it is very difficult to move the fridge because it is built into wall. Also it is brand new and I don't want to knock it down.. maybe after a couple of years ;)

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

What are the wooden appearing items in your diagram in the upper right and upper left of the floor plan? Is that a kitchen counter? Do you have a real world pic? I have an idea for you that will really help to bring the space together better, but I need to know what those items are, which way they face, and what is the room beyond. Is that a solid wall, or is it open to another room?

• rainflying
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi GreenDesigns, those are stairs. One is to the outside, one is to the upstairs.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

Something like this. You place a peninsula out from the wall opposite the refrigerator so that those who want to sit can do so close to the action in the kitchen. You create a banquette with storage underneath for the table, and it can still have leaves added to expand into the space diagonally from the banquette. The area next to the fridge becomes a badly needed small pull out pantry, and the space next to the banquette on the window side becomes the spot for you to have the small appliances and additional storage. To keep costs down for this you could pick up a free standing piece for this, and use Ikea butcherblock and cabinets to create the peninsula.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

OK, after viewing the photo, I realize that the small appliances where I suggested them won't work, because that's the landing for your stairs. But, you have the whole stair wall there instead for cabinets for appliances. A 12" shallow storage area could work there and still give you room to do a peninsula with some seating.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

With the stairs restored and the peninsula moved down. You can house the small appliances on cabinets next to it, and do a shallow display/dish rack next to it so that it doesn't move over so much to crowd the table.