Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farm_wife78_gw

Cabinets being installed, Need opinions on countertop please!

farm_wife78
13 years ago

Our cabinets are being installed this week and my husband and I would like opinions on our countertop choices....we like them both and can't decide. These are Formica 180fx laminate, Antique Mascarello on the left and Golden Mascarello on the right. Cabinets are Polar which is a true white, not cream. Also, I'm still kicking myself for not putting a transom above my kitchen window to match the door.

Comments (31)

• pricepal
    13 years ago

My vote is for the antique, it would look elegant against the white.
    The other seems too dark to me.

• stacieann63
    13 years ago

Nice cabinets and layout. I like the golden mascarello. But both are pretty and either would look lovely. Enjoy your new kitchen!

• redwood15
    13 years ago

I like golden mascarello, love the cabinets!!

• farm_wife78
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! I also wanted to add that our appliances will be stainless....and knobs, pulls, and faucet will be brushed nickel.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

What is your floor?
    I prefer the antique one, but the floor choice could change things.

• bacin0
    13 years ago

I like the way the Antique picks up the brown in your floor.

• jgs7691
    13 years ago

I like the Golden Mascarello much better than the Antique!

I have white cabinets and a laminate countertop with a similar combination of colors to the Golden Masc. in my laundry room and I think it's a lovely contrast.

• farm_wife78
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The floor is a dark brown color. Here's a better shot of it when it was being installed:

• chrisk327
    13 years ago

I like the one on the right.

our kitchen in our old house had true white cabinets and we put sapphire blue on them, which is similar in darkess to the one on the right, and it definately looked good.

but then again, I'm not as big a fan of the tan countertops on white cabinets, so I would lean more towards the darker anyway.

• nevergator
    13 years ago

I'm a short term lurker and have already gained lots of great info from this group. I love the Antique Mascarello with the white cabinets. I have the Antique, but my cabinets aren't painted yet so I'm particularly glad to see it for real! My cabinets will be KM Acoustic White; my floor is a pecan wood laminate and walls are avacado green. My backsplash is beadboard, which is an idea I also got from this group.

Thanks for being so free with your ideas and pictures!!!

• Jodi_SoCal
    13 years ago

Golden Mascarello. I like the deeper contrast.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Since your floor is a deep color, I'd stay with the antique one. The floor will recede visually, and your upper areas will be lighter. Something about it looks friendlier to me and I usually shy away from brown tones (except for antique furniture and hardwood floors). For me to pick a browner tone, it has to be exceptional, lol....

• mskitchen
    13 years ago

I like the golden, beautiful kitchen!

• farm_wife78
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much to everyone for the feedback! Garden Web is a great resource! I have to say, I think I am leaning towards the Antique. But honestly I think I would be happy with either one...I'm just ready to move into this house! Thanks to everyone on the compliments on the cabinets....they are from Shiloh.

• westsider40
    13 years ago

It's a beautiful, happy, bright, light, spacious room and I prefer the one with the dark spots, or darker spots.

• mikomum
    13 years ago

I much prefer the golden esp. with your floors, the other seems so peachy.

• farm_wife78
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again for all the feedback. I love reading everyone's thoughts.

mikomum, I too agree that the antique could come off looking too peachy.

I've spent TONS of times googling white kitchens and reading up on what "goes." On one blog written by a color expert she wrote, "Black goes with white, but in my opinion browns go with cream" After much thought and tons of pictures I realized that most of the white kitchens I love have black toned countertops. Which took me back to my husband's first choice, Formica 180fx in Black Fossilstone in a honed finish:

As of right now, this is the one.

• herbflavor
    13 years ago

the lighter one on the left...reason: your floor has a darker look and the darker counter will compete..when you walk in the room-dk on the floor then as the eye moves up a lighter feel sets in-nicer to deal with...more inviting.

• ControlfreakECS
    13 years ago

Yep, go with the black. I agree with the color expert. Browns beg to be with warmer tones, that's why they do best with slightly warmer whites, like pale creams. If you're going high contrast, it's best to go really high contrast. I think the black fossilstone will look great.

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

I agree with Herbflavor. Don't have two darks taking up so much space in your kitchen. I like the Antique Mascarello by a hair--both of those are nice.

• jgs7691
    13 years ago

I agree with the color expert and controlfreakecs -- go for the black. It looks gorgeous!!

(Of the first two, I preferred the one on the right because the greater amount of black provided a better contrast which, like you said, is what I most love in all the beautiful white kitchens I have seen.)

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

the golden. the light parts in it will be pulled out with the white cabs, the brownish parts will pick up/go with the flooring and the goldish colors in it will give it a pop.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Golden. I think it goes with your floor better. But since Golden is a fairly dark surface, I'd be sure to have undercab lights. Lovely cabs!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Golden Mascarello! :)

• nini804
    13 years ago

Golden, or that black one you just posted!

• ellendi
    13 years ago

I am glad you found that post. I found it, but too late. It was so hard matching a backsplash with Dove White cabinets and very brown toned giallo granite. My advise is to now think about your backsplash now. What is your over all vision?

• farm_wife78
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ellendi, we really would like to do a white subway tile backsplash down the road. Right now, building this house has killed our budget (which is why we are doing the laminate instead of stone.) I hope to replace the laminate with a stone countertop of some kind within the next couple of years at which time we will do the white subway tile backsplash. I have reluctantly agreed to the old 4 inch laminate backsplash until then.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I am so glad I returned to this post.
    I love your black choice.

Have you seen the Basalt Formica laminate? It looks
    like soapstone.

Here is a Laminate with browns in it. I happen to love
    black but if you find browns to be what you and your DH
    love. You can see it can work.

• farm_wife78
    Original Author
    13 years ago

boxer, I'm so glad you returned too! I've been looking at lots of pics of white kitchens/black counters here on GW lately and I've seen pics of your white cabs and black granite and it is lovely! So glad you like the black fossilstone. I'm about 95% sure that's what we will go with. I'm just nervous b/c the only picture I've seen of it in a kitchen is the formica stock photo...and it was not on white cabs.

That pic of the basalt slate laminate counters looks great! I never would have guessed that from the tiny sample we looked at.

• hsw_sc
    13 years ago

I love the Black Fossil Stone!

• DelsFan
    9 years ago

Woops, sorry, didn't notice this thread was three years old... Perhaps my comments will still be helpful to someone else...

For other readers, since you now seem to be leaning towards a black or charcoal based countertop: I could certainly be wrong, but it seems to me that you have your Mascarellos labeled backwards, or it may just be the way the photo is taken; I believe the Antique (with more white, less gold) is on the right and the Golden is on the left (with more... gold).

I used the Golden Mascarello in a house I recently remodeled (photo attached). It went well with the wood cabinets and the beige paint in the adjacent dining room (and the off-white color of the island). I am re-doing my sister's house, so she can sell it, and we are considering the Antique Mascarello because she has white cabinets with brushed nickel trim.

I am a real fan of the Mascarellos. Formica also makes a Crema Mascarello that is white and off-white with gray granite streaks and a hint of tan and brown - we used this color in the bathrooms (of the house we remodeled).

Your kitchen looks very nice; IâÂÂm sure it will turn out well.

This post was edited by DelsFan on Fri, May 23, 14 at 9:37