Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Price check please - Backsplash install?

Posted by pbx2 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 8:51

We're getting our new build bidded out for ~53 sq ft of backsplash.
Simple ceramic gray subway tiles.

Highest part is to bottom of range hood. Otherwise, height around perimeter is no more than counter to bottom of cabs.

Total bid is $2100. Reasonable?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Price check please - Backsplash install?

A smaller project costs more per foot than a larger one, plus you probably have a change order fee incorporated into it if that wasn't what was planned from the beginning. My good tile guy charges around $15 a foot for a simple backsplash. Even with the change order fee of maybe $200, plus the GC's fee on top, your quote seems out of line for ceramic. Glass would be more, but not even that much!

o

We are not new build, but are demoing existing backsplash 60 sq feet, re-dry wall, new backsplash install labor and dry wall materials is 950.

o

My BS was about half that size, and I used 2x8s in a herringbone pattern (lots of cuts). It came in at 1000, which I thought was an excellent price, especially since the tile setters I used do very high end work.

o

Gee, between my kitchen being small and my location I must be doing good on labor! I don't have a breakdown, but considering the work to be done and the price, my 30-ish sf must be less than what's above.

My contract says ceramic tile of my choosing, but I want a mosaic in 1sf sheets, MOP. That's easier to do than individual ceramics, right?

o

$2100 sounds a bit steep for ceramic. I have 35 sq feet and was quoted $985 for full backsplash and design above range for Durango Creme Travertine installed at 45 degree angle. I haven't installed my BS yet, but am now considering glass subway tile. Are you able to get 3 bids?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here