Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to put the microwave?

Posted by khallock (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 8:44

Originally I planned to just put the microwave on an open shelf in the kitchen. I might still do that. But I like the idea of hiding it behind doors or something. I only use the MW for reheating small things or for making popcorn. Our current MW will be replaced by something that looks a little nicer, especially if we put it on an open shelf. I am thinking of maybe a GE Space Maker so that it sits in a 12" deep shelf pretty easily.

I love this idea

But I realized that since I'm just going with Kraftmaid cabinets, although I might be able to replicate the look, since i wont have inset doors, the garage door style door will not stay open on its own while I use the MW. Bummer!

So could I just put it on the bottom shelf of a regular 30" cabinet? One without a middle style of course. Or should I go the open shelf route?

The other issue I am finding is that I cant seem to find a Kraftmaid cabinet with a microwave shelf that is 39" tall (like the rest of my uppers were going to be). What is up with that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to put the microwave?

I went with KraftMaid also. The option for a microwave shelf (not something customized) is just an open base lower cabinet that is finished all all sides on the inside. They did not offer a garage door for it. I originally wanted to put mine on a lower shelf in my peninsula since like you - i only use it to reheat coffee and little things - and pop popcorn. But, when I realized i was losing prime cabinet real-estate where I could put a 30" drawer, I decided to re-locate it over the range - where I didn't want it in the beginning but it does make the most sense for me. Also, I have 3 kids - my youngest is 3 and with the microwave at his height - I also feared he woudl constantly play with it and push buttons, etc. Good thing we put it up - because since demo started, our microwave is temporarily located on a table at his exact height and he IS constantly opening and closing the door, and pushing buttons. So, it all worked out for us.

o

How about in the pantry (if you have a walk in one). That is what I am doing....so, I will have my Kuerig and Micro on a shelf in the pantry....
Pam

o

I really hate using counter space for a microwave, so we opted for a GE Profile micro hood over the cook top.

It has worked fine now for 11 years, and we have purchased a new home and will use that as a solution.

Suzi

o

We put our ge spacemaker on a shelf.

photo kitchen9-5024_zpsb67586c3.jpg

Here is a pic of the shelves. The mw is now on the lower shelf. We painted them black. They were too expensive from shenandoah and didn't want to bother with custom blend stain (which is an option).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here