Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can a new counter top be installed w/o replacng tile backsplash?

Posted by momotom (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 19, 11 at 8:43

Trying to update my kitchen. I like my tile backsplash, but hate the Corian counter tops. Does anyone know, or may have tried to replace an existing countertop with granite without ruining an exisiting backsplash?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can a new counter top be installed w/o replacng tile backspla

The tiled backsplash usually sits just off the countertop by an 1/8th inch or so and the gap is caulked.

The caulk can be cut away and the countertop should be able to be removed without damaging the backsplash.

That's in a perfect world.

Some installers set the bottom course of tile right on the countertop. Less clearance. Depending on how the countertop is attached to the cabinets below, that can affect things.
The shape of the counter. A straight run or and "L" shaped? Are the ends open or captured? How the countertop is constructed? A slab of stone? Or a tiled-in mud bed?

Sometimes the countertop needs to be sectioned out in pieces.

In general, the backsplash can usually be preserved, but getting the countertop out might be ugly, especially if it's piece by piece.

So..."it depends".

o

I removed my countertop (Wait DH removed our countertop)
without damaging the backsplash. I kept my BS, I like mine
too.

He had to be really careful not to damage the BS when
taking out the old tile counter and plywood base. It can
be done but just be careful so you can save the BS.

Your counter installer can figure out how to either go
under the bottom of the backsplash or next to when they
install your new counters.

Check out the links,
~boxer

How to Remove Old Countertop

http://ideas.reliableremodeler.com/Article.aspx?Title=How-to-Remove-Old-Countertop&AC=7&ID=351

Changing countertop but keeping backsplash?
http://forums.weddingbells.ca/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3078736

Here is a link that might be useful: Remove the counter keep my BS

o

Thanks to both of you for sending me this information. I guess the only real way inquire about this possibility is to have a countertop installer come to the house and access the situation. I just hate my Corian, blah and no shine.

o

It's possible with a very careful fabricator. But---and it's a BIG but, I don't know of any fabricator that will guarantee that they can do it. And most would charge extra to even try because it takes a lot more time. The most likely scenario of damage would require that the bottom row of the backsplash would need to be replaced. If you have more of the tile, that shouldn't be such a big deal, but if you don't, and it's damaged, then perhaps it would be fixable by choosing a coordinating accent tile to run across the base of the backsplash.

o

If the backsplash gets damaged but not too much, you may be able to avoid replacing the bottom row by putting pencil tiles or something like that all around the bottom edge.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pencil tiles

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here