Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hogar_gw

Oil stain in granite

hogar
15 years ago

Hi,

Do you know how to remove an oil stain from granite? My DH did the dishes last night and accidentally left some olive oil on the granite. It doesn't look like a big deal (about 1 inch) but I can tell and It's driving me crazy. Please adivse...:(

Comments (21)

• chris_harper2
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I cleaned an oil mark off of a granite sample with denatured alcohol and a micro-fiber cloth. Please note that the sample was not sealed so I can't say for sure that non-diluted denatured alchol won't break down your sealer, assuming your counters are sealed.

I have heard of 4:1 solutions of water to denatured alcohold being used to clean granite so I assume at that concentration it is safe for most stone sealers.

I should also note that the sample was Indian Absolute Black which is very dense so the stain but not have been very deep. It may not have been a stain at all.

• nutbunch
    15 years ago

I think I'd try a little vinegar mixed with water, on a soft cloth, then wiped dry with a microfiber cloth.

Good luck!

• granite-girl
    15 years ago

Gee- I was going to give you the Marble Institute of America's stain removal information. And I'm not even going to read the above long post, I'm sure he's right & I'd tell you basically the same thing.
    Go to www.marble-institute.com for more info if you need it.
    Good Luck:)

• vrjames
    15 years ago

DITTO WHAT KEVIN SAYS

• boxerpups
    15 years ago

If granite is sealed will you still need to do Kevin's long scary procedure for a stain?

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Depends on the granite and the quality of the seal :) We never worry about our granite, and yes, DH leaves oil out all the time. Lemon juice, wine, etc., he's a messy cooker and our granite is tough as nails (as is the sealer thank god)

• fern76
    15 years ago

Thank You Kevin, great information I am filing away, fortunately our granite doesn't seem to stain... :)

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

OR, you can just leave it alone, and it'll evaporate out on its own in a few weeks. :-)

The reason I say that is because years and years ago, before all the different sealers came out, the best enhancer you could use for stone was either lemon oil or olive oil. But they had to be applied every few weeks, because the oil would dry out of the stone, leaving it looking natural again.

• ella_socal
    15 years ago

Whew, I couldn't finish the post above, but I'll tell you what worked for me. I mixed baking soda and water into a thick paste, cover with plastic wrap, and left it for a few days. I've also used that for small oil spots left by others on my driveway (hence, my dislike of strangers parking on my driveway!). You can also buy poultices, which I used on my marble and worked well after 2 tries.

• azstoneconsulting
    15 years ago

Sorry for the long post everyone - and the typo's...

I just switched over to a Mac and wrote that piece up on "Mac Pages"
    and it does not behave like MS Word which I am WAY more used to...
    (I'm going to install Word soon)

I will have an easier version for you to refer to on Natural Stone 101 very soon

kevin

• hogar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much to all for your willingness to help me out!!! I'll try these procedures on a piece of granite they gave me as a cutting board. I'll keep you posted...

• mom2reese
    15 years ago

good info - I'm filing this away, too.

hogar - you may not be using the cutting boards they gave you, but in case you are you may not want to. Granite is really hard and will dull your knives quickly!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

That cutting board would be better used as a trivet...

I wish I could have gotten my pieces but my fabricator's policy was that they didn't give them out.

• lisalisa2009
    15 years ago

this happened to me in my first kitchen. i made a paste with baking soda and water. let it sit on the stain a few hours then rinse off. it worked for me. (i was told this by the owner and installer)

• azstoneconsulting
    15 years ago

Lisalisa2009-

I have found that IF a solvent is used - or a liquid that will
    break up the oil -other than water - the results will be better -

HOWEVER -

Since I am going to be filming a podcast for Natural Stone 101.com
    this week on doing the oils stain -
    and then - GETTING THEM OUT - I'll try your method too -
    (to see if I've been wrong all this time about using a water based poultice to get oil stains out...)

Should be interesting......

Best Regards

kevin

• stone21
    13 years ago

The mildest method is to mix baking powder and water, form it into a paste and cover the stained area. Once the paste is on, cover it with a plastic wrap and let it sit overnight. Wash it off the next day.

• drdannie
    13 years ago

I used baking soda (not powder) and acetone (finger nail polish remover) mixed into a paste and let it sit overnight. Next morning washed it off with water and the stain was gone.

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

When I had a perfectly circular olive oil stain on a sealed Juparana Bordeaux counter top, the stain disappeared over a period of about three days, as I recall. No poultice, no anything. That was the first time something like that happened, so I remember freaking out and being reassured by Bill and a few other forum members, maybe three and a half years ago or so. Now I don't even think about olive oil anymore. (However, I do think it was a stroke of sheer, but accidental, genius that I chose a granite that matches port, marinara sauce, tomato everything, grapes, juices, various flowers, raspberry vinaigrette, etc.)

• Kate44121
    9 years ago

I mixed simple green and baking soda on my sealed granite - the spot went from a ring to fill the area where the mixture was. I then spread the mixture in an organic way to look like a granite vein. It's not gone but at least it's not a circle and I don't have to re-seal it.

• soumya vishwanath
    7 years ago

I have spilt 1 litre of coconut oil on granite floor

Do you know how to remove the stain