Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malhgold_gw

Can This Island Be Saved?

malhgold
15 years ago

I know this "look" isn't for everyone, but I am going for an industrial, slightly unfitted look. I found this stainless island on ebay and am considering using it. It is 6' long, 33" deep and 35" tall. The shelves are 12" apart. The seller said it is just dirty, not rusted. I would definitely consider a different countertop because I would like to have an overhang for seating. I also have to see what the situation is with the sink pipes because the sink is definitely in a strange spot.

Do you think this frog could turn into a prince? Have I lost my mind?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (9)

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

My advice would to be to keep looking. This one looks like more trouble than it's worth.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

malhgold... I've seen a ton of these things available on ebay and I'm betting you can find them on craigslist too. Was this a local listing? There are restaurant supply vendors who have these. Also, as sad as it is to say; I've been seeing alot of listings from restaurants selling off their equipment due to lack of business. I love the concept but would keep looking.

• budge1
    15 years ago

I like it, but as others have said, I think it might end up being more trouble and expense for something that is not your ideal.

My dream island is sort of industrial/unfitted. Here is a pic.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys....I sort of figured I should keep looking, but I'm so glad I posted because Budge1....

I JUST LOVE THAT ISLAND!!!!!!!

That may be THE inspiration pic that can get me moving on this project finally. Looks like it has all the elements that I'm looking for.

Off to make an appointment with cabinet guy to see what he can do with this.

Thanks sooooooo much!!!!!

• timber.j
    15 years ago

I have been toying with the idea of topping my island with stainless, so I like the thought. That one looks like it would be a challenge, though-the weird position of the sink, in particular. If it was really, really cheap, though, it might be worth playing with. I know absolutely nothing about working with stainless steel, though.

• budge1
    15 years ago

Oh, I am so glad you like it and may use a similar design - almost as good as getting it for myself.

I found that pic right after I finished my own island :-( I still love our island, but in my next kitchen...

If you wanted seating you could just have cabinetry at one end and the other open for seating. Thats how we did our island and it works well. You can kind of see what I mean in this pic. You could probably continue the drawers in the apron all the way around.

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

The sink is set back so far - it'd be kinda a pain. I had the ikea stainless frame w/stainless top and integral sink as a temp kitchen setup. It was wonderful and well worth the money - it's getting re-installed in the basement.

BUT the sink was set back from the edge and the further back the sink is from the edge, the harder it is on your back to use.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Buy it now price is $500, or Best Offer. Would any amount be worth it? Then there's the truck rental, 3 hours there and back to get it, and then possible/probable adjustments of which $$ is unknown.

• Fori
    15 years ago

no no. Don't get it. They should pay you to take it off their hands. I think you can do better for $500!