Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dermnp_gw

Anyone have windows like these?

dermnp
11 years ago

Question for you, do you think if would look ok to have the brown in the kitchen only? We may put it across the opening into the great room but the rest of the windows are white throughout the house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen windows

Comments (4)

• deedles
    11 years ago

If you mean darker sash with lighter jambs and trim, then yes, I'm doing this. Love the look of the dark window sash. The first ones we ordered for the bedrooms and bathroom have the sash and jambs dark chestnut and while it looks nice I've changed our order for the rest of the windows to just the sash in chestnut and the jambs clear coat pine. I was going for the look that you have in that pic and the sash and jambs darker just isn't quite it. I wish I had thought about it a bit more before I ordered but oh well.

Anyway, our trim is cedar and it all looks very nice, IMO. Not sure if you can really make it out but this is the best pic I have of the windows in one of the bedrooms.

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Why not? When you think about it, back when houses had mainly all wooden windows, they were often painted to co-ordinate with the other colors in a particular room.

And, in cases where you want the windows to frame a view, you don't especially want the windows themselves to be making a statement. In other instances, you might want the windows to be a focal architectural feature. So I think that it's OK to approach how we treat them with some flexibility.

That said, you still need to be concerned with how they look & coordinate with the exterior view of your property. For example, I departed with the traditional double hungs (in the rest of the house) when we replaced the windows in our kitchen. The kitchen is in a wing and the windows are on the back side of our property with a view to the woods. I'm assuming that the wildlife back there isn't making any value judgements on my architectural sense (or lack thereof). I wanted maximum light and maximum ventilation and ease of operation. Casements fit the bill and with the bonus of being more energy efficient than dbl hungs.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Ha. I just noticed that the windows in the bathroom of the house on that site are white as are the rest of the windows from the outside at least. So hey, they did it in your inspiration pic house, lol.

• dermnp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cilantro...this just cracked me up "I'm assuming that the wildlife back there isn't making any value judgements on my architectural sense (or lack thereof)". Needed a good chuckle today! And Deedles, you are right about the other windows, didn't think of that. And these windows in our kitchen are facing the back yard, so I am not worried at all about how they will look different on the outside. They have these windows in the Graysons house on revenge, that is where DH and I got the idea about the opening to the great room since we have been trying to figure out something to do there too. Thanks guys!