Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bostonpam_gw

what granite edge did you choose and why

bostonpam
14 years ago

Templating took 5+ hours over 2 days and now I have to finalize my edges. What did you choose and why? I'm thinking semi bullnose on the wall runs (less cost) and ogee or dupont for island.

Comments (106)

• marcy96
    13 years ago

I went with 1/2 bullnose on my namibian gold granite counters.

{{!gwi}}

• marcydc
    13 years ago

I used an eased. We thought it went better with the cab style. Like kitchenaddict, it's 2cm with a seam. We might have done mitred had we not had curves!

From remodel

• OttawaGardener
    13 years ago

Does the thickness of the granite or quartz make a difference to your choice? I have ordered a 2cm quartz with an ogee edge (which only added $1.50/inch) but it seems overly fussy to me, and I may switch to a 3cm quartz with the plain (eased?) edge. The kitchen person I dealt with at Lowes didn't recommend adding to make the edge bigger, because of the seam, but that is what every single countertop display has! Will 2cm seem wrong in a kitchen?

• irishcreamgirl
    13 years ago

I went with an eased edge. I like the clean simple lines.

I guess you would say my style is classic. I have glazed white cabinets with simple raised panel doors.

• fiddleddd
    13 years ago

Thanks for this wonderful discussion of countertop styles. I'll soon be ordering my countertops, and there is much to consider! :-)

• amysmith1979
    13 years ago

Our style is modern/contemporary. We are debating between the 1/4 bevel or the eased edge. I think we might do the 1/4 bevel just to give it that teeny little bit extra, but still have the modern look. I have to make up my mind soon, but its hard! lol

• Dana26s_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone
    I'm new to gardenweb and love all the discussions; what a fabulous forum this is. So here's my question.... Liking so many styles is it okay to go with a double-ogee cut on island with granite but use a straight edge cut/caesarstone on perimeter?

• roots1234_aol_com
    12 years ago

why does my fabricator say that he can't do an ogee edge because of the shape of the island??

• celineike
    12 years ago

Bumping- would love to see if anyone will post more pics.
    What's the diff between eased and pencil edges?

• janealexa
    12 years ago

I like the crescent edge after reading this forum. Then I'm going to price out ogee on the island...

• LakeLodge
    11 years ago

Anyone have pics of the CHISLED EDGE that can be uploaded? Is it a snagger for clothes or rough to the touch?

• niblickchick
    11 years ago

Bump! because I'm hoping for more pictures of edges :)
    Does anyone have the Normandy or Double Cove edge?

• vsalzmann
    11 years ago

I chose a mitered edge. Our quartzite is 2cm, but it's built up to almost 3 inches. One thing I bargained for-it had to be built up around the sink too. I hate it when you have a thick edge and then they use only the 2cm at the sink to betray the buildup. I wanted people to think we really had a massive slab! With the miter, you can make it look as thick as you want and the seam is invisible. .

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Learning a lot from this discussion and hoping for more pictures for inspiration so I'm giving it a bump.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Thank you Island for bumping up this thread as I have been trying to find updates to learn more also about the granite edges and what they look like. Beautiful granite counters and kitchens in this post. Thank you everyone for sharing.

• niblickchick
    11 years ago

nice counters, vsalz! so pretty! when you were pricing your mitred edge, did you find that it was pretty pricey compared to an edge that doesn't add more material? what kind of stone is your counter? Looks like a silver travertine? Whatever it is - it is gorgeous.

• vsalzmann
    11 years ago

Niblickchick- my quote was for whatever edge I wanted, so I don't know if there is a price difference. The stone was marketed as fantasy brown granite but it's classified as a quartzite. It's white, grey green, and brown, but reads fairly white. I loved it the instant I saw it. I had originally planned for antique brown (Maron Cohiba), which I had in my last kitchen. But went light instead. No staining or etching so far.

• ellelw5
    11 years ago

boxerpups and jeanteach what is that darker grey granite with white veining that you used. Love it and I'm shopping one like it; Paradiso Silver. Please let me know. Thanks!

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

I chose a 1/4 bullnose on the perimeter and small sections; ogee on island and a furniture-like cabinet. We have bianco antico and like bee, agree the ogee really sets off the stone.

Fabricator recommended 1/4 or 1/2 bullnose over the eased edge, because the eased edge being a bit sharper can chip if you bang something into it.

LOVE how ours turned out!

• aimzy
    11 years ago

Vsalz-- I've been looking for others who have used fantasy brown in their kitchens and was so excited to find your picture. My slab has the same colors but the swirls are different. I would love to know how it's been holding up. My slab is on hold but I am so nervous about staining and etching. We are definitely not on top of cleaning the counters right away...

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

No pics, but I chose the eased edge.

It was their standard one, and it will match the butcherblock counter edge.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

This is timely as there have been a few counter edge questions. Bump.

• boymom23
    10 years ago

Holly-Kay, thanks for bumping this up. Very helpful!

• scooper25
    9 years ago

Hi would any one have any pictures of Fantasy Brown/ Terra Bianca love to see photos of edges. I have just purchased my slabs and I'm getting ready to get the fabricating done want to pick a good edge to show off its beauty!
    Thanks

• Ashley Grace
    9 years ago

Bump! Chose my granite slabs (Bianco Antico). Now to choose edges! Y'all have been helpful over the years.

• Dany
    9 years ago

We went with full bullnose and regretted it immediately, but they charged $400 to change it. After a year of living with it I still regret it but all the times I've hit my hip on it have made me appreciate its roundness :)

• lilacinjust
    9 years ago

The thing about edges is that you'd better be very sure your material will show it to the greatest advantage. I remember wanting a more intricate edge, but when I saw our finished product, I'm so glad we didn't spend the money.

My granite just wouldn't have been taken up another notch by fancy edging. Other materials and granites really do shine and are worth the money if you have it.

• Susan Scearce
    9 years ago

We did ogee on our island, but an eased edge on the surrounding countertops. I'm very happy we mixed and matched, but we also used did color counters for each.

• Tsilu Ntsicoshinii
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments... I think I am going with half bullnose for the kitchen countertops and 1 1/2" single Bevel for the Island...I'll post a pic once they are done...:)

• nic529
    8 years ago

This is a very helpful thread. I have to choose our edge as our granite counters (Ivory Fantasy) are being installed next week. We really like the way an eased edge would complement our shaker style cabinets, but have been advised they will chip more easily. Has anyone regretted choosing the eased edge? 1/4 or 1/2 bevel was suggested instead.

• Jancy
    8 years ago

I have eased edge for over a year now and love it. No regrets and no chips.

• kahoosbt
    8 years ago

I was surprised to get the notification of new posts on this subject. I posted above almost 5 years ago! :-) We chose an unconventional edge: chiseled. And stacked, 6 mm, at that. We have lived with it for well over 4 years now, and still LOVE it. Not everyone would, but then, that's why there are so many choices! :-) We saw one sample of it (a different fabricator than the one we used) which we would never have chosen. It had the look we wanted, but was rough to the point of being sharp. Our fabricator smoothed it, so it has the look we like, but is not rough at all. We were the first in our area to choose this edge. The fabricator like it so well, he and his wife put it in their own home. Here is a photo (our granite is Niagara Gold):

• nic529
    8 years ago

kahoosbt, that is beautiful!

• mrspete
    8 years ago

Is it weird that I have an opinion on, well, everything ... except stone edge patterns?

• James Shkurko
    8 years ago

We are shopping for granite countertops for out kitchen - we have diamond white cabinets with gray glaze and debating between Bianco Antico and Alaskan White granite. Any advise? Also seems like we need to go with a 1/2 bullnose or 3/8 eased edge to avoid chipping, is that correct?

• jason7370
    8 years ago

kahoosbt, anymore pics?

I'm looking at Granite now, and am trying to find what's going to look best,.

• phiwwy
    8 years ago
    I have the ogee edge on the island and eased edge on perimeter. Bianco antics does not do great with the ogee edge, and I have a few chips. I was not aware of this but 2 years later it's holding up well. I think the initial chips were just that and I have no new ones. Knock on granite!
  • Barb
    7 years ago

Julie94062- how thick is the front edge on your typhoon Bordeaux? And what size is your overhang?

• Angel Martin
    7 years ago

is there a difference between a pencil edge and a 3/8 roundover i'm so confused?

• rebeccamomof123
    7 years ago

We did bullnose not because I love it but because my 3 year old's face was exactly the height of of my counter edges when we did our kitchen and they way he flies around the house, any sort of edge that wasn't rounded was stitches waiting to happen. I would have done ogee if that wasn't an issue. And that bookend that someone posted SO luxurious looking!

• Siân Davies
    7 years ago

I'm just redoing bathrooms I've ordered pencil round I feel the ogee is so dated now . My fabricator offered any edge inclusive .

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

If you want constant chipping that is difficult to repair, put a sharp ogee edge on a heavily-used countertop.

• Caroline Hamilton
    7 years ago

I think it depends on the style of your kitchen. In my primary home which is more formal and traditional I have an Ogee on the island (not sharp) and eased everywhere else. My entertaining kitchen in the basement which is part of a masculine looking bar has a half bullnose. My beach house kitchen is much more informal and relaxed, I did an eased edge there.

• nursetammi
    7 years ago

I have a traditional kitchen that I did 7 years ago in Ogee and only have one chip and it is not even on the Ogee, its on the sink area so I think part of it is your lifestyle and what you have going on in your kitchen. I agree its more of the style you'd like and how well you're able to take care of it.

• pchisholm
    7 years ago

This is a fabulous thread; so helpful! Colonial White granite is getting installed in a week. Thinking of going with an eased edge on perimeter, but completely undecided on island. Ogee is too fancy for us...any suggestions? Dupont maybe? Too many decisions to make!!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Avoid any edges with a sharp 90 degree corner such as a Dupont. It's not a matter of if it will chip, it's a matter of when. Sometimes I have to make the chips bigger to get enough bite for filler.

• pchisholm
    7 years ago

@Corlett, I did wonder about that. We had a home that had countertops with a 90 handle and it was chipped to point it would put tiny little holes in my shirt when I was at the sink. Def don't want that again. As a matter of fact, I truly want a flat polished edge, but worry that we'll have the same chipping issue.

Any suggestions for something that would go well with an eased edge?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

pchisholm:

I'm assuming you mean what type of material would go well with an eased edge? I know it's probably not helpful, but in my business, the rounder the better on any material.

• Dale Hadley
    7 years ago

Im probably going with an eased edge but love the chiseled look. I have four small grandsons & leary of the chiseled bc of them bumping into it. Has anyone had a problem with chiseled?

• Francie Palmer
    5 years ago
    We chose a hand Chiseled edge on 3 cm granite. No problem with rough edges, or snagged clothes. I love seeing all the various edge choices!