Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajard

how easily does fireclay sinks chip?holding up cabinet order

ajard
14 years ago

I am holding up my entire cabinet order from going into production now because I cant decide on the franke oceania sink or the white shaws sink that I love. I am giving up 2 inches with the shaw sink , but I already decided the visual is worth it... but how easily to they chip?? I use heavy cast iron pots for my induction cooktop.. I have 4 boys? How durable is this sink?? ANYONE regret getting it... all the old posts regarding this are not available. I am on a another posting with all of you that love your sink but any bad experiences?

Comments (19)

• growlery
    14 years ago

Year and a half. Cast iron pots. No chips. No regrets.

• Diane Clayton
    14 years ago

I have to order my last two sinks today. One is a prep sink in a peninsula between kitchen and living room. The other is the laundry/mudroom/office/emergency guest bedroom (Antique Murphy Bed) on a cattle ranch. I want to use a fireclay or apron type sink for my laundry room. Do you have links to the Shaw or a model so I can google? Never thought sinks would be the hardest.

• astridh
    14 years ago

I have two Franke fireclay sinks in my kitchen. I like the look and ease of cleaning, but I did get two very tiny chips in the main sink, which is PRK-120. This sink has an unusual shape with a ridge half way down the bowl onto which you can place a grid (which I don't). Unfortunately, this ridge may possibly make it more prone to chip if you're not careful. I think it got chipped when someone carelessly washed a heavy grate from the range top, and didn't look closely enough to see the ridge. That is where the chips are. Anyway, what surprised me is that the chips are DARK. I had assumed that the fireclay would be white all the way through and would show a chip less than a cast iron sink would, but that is not the case for my Franke. Shaw may be different. That being said, I really like the sink and would buy it again, but I do need to be a bit more careful than I thought.

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

I have a Whitehaus fireclay sink and love it. It's glossy smooth and very easy to keep clean and sparkly white with barkeeper's friend.

I have gotten one chip after 2 years; it's on the bottom and likely from one of our castiron skillets which we use daily, but it's white underneath, so not very noticeable. We bang those heavy skillets around and wash the castion grates from the range in there -- and so far so good.

I think ALL sinks have their own specific drawbacks (stainless are cold and scratch or can be loud; enamelled iron can chip badly or craze; silgranite & corian can stain or look plasticky) -- so it's really about going with your first love, I'd say. But I have never regretted my fireclay at all and will definitely get another if I ever do another kitchen.

• ssweeney56
    14 years ago

circuspeanut, how long have you had your whitehaus sink? That's the one I've about decided to order. Do you have a garbage disposal hooked up to it, and if so, did that work all right?

Thanks.

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

I've had the Whitehaus 501 almost exactly 2 years now. I have the Insinkerator Evolution Compact hooked up to it. Didn't need any extra flange, all went smoothly -- no cracks, juddering, etc. Can warmly recommend both sink and Insinkerator Evolution, it's very quiet and powerful.

• wascolette
    14 years ago

I have a Shaw fireclay sink, and while I love it, it does have 2 chips that I got very early on. We do have some patch it stuff, but my dh has not got around to filling the chips. Once he does, I'll post the results.

• tresgirls
    14 years ago

circuspeanut - Your Whitehaus 501 is beautiful! That's the sink I had planned to order, but unfortunately it's been discontinued. Does anyone know where I could still find one? My search so far has been fruitless.

• ajard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wascolette.. thank you, I would surely be interested in seeing how it patches.

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

hi tresgirls,

Hmm -- I purchased my Whitehaus 501 over the phone from BlueBath for around $600 or so, in 2008. They used to have a web site but it doesn't seem to be functional at the moment. They also have an eBay store, which I link below.

Wouldn't hurt to phone and find out if they still have one in stock? I know they look flighty with that wonky website right now, but I had a perfectly professional experience with them using my AmEx card and FedEx shipping. Very fast and extremely well packaged.
    tel. (213) 265-2519 email sales@bluebath.com

Crossing my fingers for you!

Here is a link that might be useful: BlueBath ebay store

• ILoveRed
    14 years ago

I have a few tiny chips in my Rohl 36". I was heartsick.

I didn't know you could patch these chips. I will be watching for your husbands success wascolette.

I got the grid immediately after I noticed the chips. Wish I had gotten the grid sooner.

• tresgirls
    14 years ago

circuspeanut - Thanks for the info about BlueBath. I called them, and they're also out of the 501. So it looks like I need to find a different sink.

• Julie B
    14 years ago

We installed two Rohl Allia sinks about 1 1/2 years ago. Both got small chips within the first year. I would not pick the Allia if I could do it over.

• Lisa B.
    14 years ago

tresgirls-- I am about to have a Whitehaus fireclay 504 installed, it is almost identical to the 501 except for a 1 3/4" "lip" around the top, very pretty. Same dimensions as the 501. I got it from American Home Plus, they still have in stock for about $670.

Glad I read this thread, looks like I have to think about getting a grate for the bottom of the sink. :) I've had a porcelain over cast-iron sink for 13+ years and have never had a chip or crack, so fireclay will be a new experience for me, too!

• tresgirls
    14 years ago

cupcake78 - Thanks for the info about the 504. I've looked at that one, but it's a little smaller on the interior. The 501's interior is 24"W x 18-1/4" x 8"D compared to the 504's interior of 21-7/8"W x 16-1/8" x 7-1/2"D. I think the 504 is too small for what I need. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

• Lisa B.
    14 years ago

Tresgirls, I didn't realize the sizes were that far off... but I did find the 501 still available for sale at faucetdepot.com for $930. If it's got the dimensions you really want, may be worth paying the extra for it. They have a toll-free # and free shipping. Good luck finding the one you want (or one close to it!)

• ajard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

For those of you that got small chips would they have been prevented if you had the grid? What about yours justmejulie?

• Julie B
    14 years ago

We have the double sind and the round for our prep. The double has the chip on the divider so a grid would not have mattered. We just purchased another house I will be trying out the Silgranite this time.

• tresgirls
    14 years ago

cupcake78 - Thanks for suggesting faucetdepot.com. The 501 is still showing up on their website, but I called the sales departement this morning, and they actually don't have the sink in stock anymore. I think I'm going to end up going with the Whitehaus 530, which is about 3" wider and a little narrower and deeper. I wish I could find one to see in person, though.