Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloe_s_mom

Progress pics: backsplash learning experience

chloe_s_mom
15 years ago

Okay, so I swam against the tide (and both common sense and good design sense, it would seem) and choose a hot chocolate coloured tile for my backsplash (thanks again to all those who weighed in on my choices - I also ordered a slab of granite for behind the cooktop).

I've also taken advice offered here and bought a wet saw (still in its package, I'm working up courage).

Here are some progress pics (pre wet saw) of my backsplash tiling adventures.

Behind the sink - used a narrow 2 x 12 chocolate tile and interspered it with glass tiles. Having issue with switch plates (got a quote for mocha stone colour - a bit pricey - white looks odd, and the oak is a bit chunky):

The short side of the l-shaped counter. I'm particularly fond of the blue painter's tape holding things together and the gecco's hiding poor cuts....

Comments (16)

• 59 Dodge
    15 years ago

Hello again chloe_s_mom
    I don't know if you have a Home Depot near you, but I purchased the Brown coloured outlets, and the Burnt copper plates to go around them. I wanted a little more burnt copper to match our faucett and The Burnt Copper Light that I installed over the sink. Still Love your granite, and I wudda done the whole backsplash with it---but some might say I have "GraniteItis" (LOL) and they are probably correct---but at least I didn't have to wage a battle trying to figger out what would go with the Granite?
    Downstairs bath is next and Your Granite is definitely high on my list for a vanity top.
    Continued good luck on your Project.
    I will post a close up of the Brown recepticles in the Gallery Section.

Gary

• 59 Dodge
    15 years ago

Hello again chloe_s_mom
    I don't know if you have a Home Depot near you, but I purchased the Brown coloured outlets, and the Burnt copper plates to go around them. I wanted a little more burnt copper to match our faucett and The Burnt Copper Light that I installed over the sink. Still Love your granite, and I wudda done the whole backsplash with it---but some might say I have "GraniteItis" (LOL) and they are probably correct---but at least I didn't have to wage a battle trying to figger out what would go with the Granite?
    Downstairs bath is next and Your Granite is definitely high on my list for a vanity top.
    Continued good luck on your Project.
    I will post a close up of the Brown recepticles in the Gallery Section.

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: Brown Electrical outlet

• ncounty
    15 years ago

I LOVE your backsplash....gorgeous and doesn't look like everybody else's. I don't like the clunky wood outlet cover and the burnt copper described above sounds like it would look great with your tiles. The white kitchen sink is not quite in harmony with everything else to me....stainless steel or black matte fireclay sink or granite sink, maybe? Fabulous look with your backsplash.

• vetchu
    15 years ago

hi there....

we have some SS outlet covers.....those would match your appliances =0)

• chloe_s_mom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I went to Home Depot yesterday and did see some oil rubbed bronze type covers - I'll explore again. Do I keep the plugs white? Vetchu, are your ss outlet covers a pain to clean, like appliances? I suppose that only the light switch plate would get a lot of traffic.

Ncountry, I agree, in hindsight, I should have picked a different colour for my sink - maybe brown! But alas, I bought it before the granite, and before the tile. though at it doesn't seem to like when I wash up the grout, and I'm on track to staining it a cocoa colour if I'm not more careful.

• 59 Dodge
    15 years ago

The outlook plug itself is just the same as the white plastic ones, execept it is a dark brown. Actaully there are a number of colours that you can get. Lutron offers these as well as dimmers in a range of colors.
    Check out www.lutron.com to see your choices.The dimmers are kinda neat in that if you hold the button in for a sec or 2 it does a delayed off , so you have time to walk into the next room before the lights go out---particularly handy in the bedroom, you have time to crawl in the sack before the lites go out.

Gary

• krissd
    15 years ago

The tiles look nice. Good job.

• nats-md
    15 years ago

As you saw in our kitchen, I love a unique backsplash. Yours has loads of personality, and goes well w/the cabinets. I love the brown, with the small glass tile inserts. I bet it will look amazing grouted w/a lighter color. (Not too light -- a tan). Go for a darker outlet cover, and maybe even change out the plugs to a dark brown if you like the look.

• chloe_s_mom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So I had gotten a price quote for the Lutron, in Mocha Stone. Still a much lighter colour than my tiles, but better than the white (and better than the clunky oak). I noticed on their website that they seem to have custom colours? I've asked the electrical supplier about that.

Thanks krissd and nats-md!

Below is the link to the Lutron colours - the Sienna is very dark, very red. I like the Terracotta - quite pink, matches the glass tiles. But I don't know if I'll lose interest in pink plugs over time!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lutron

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

I saw Desert Stone receptacles/switches at my HD on clearance - but they were only 15A. Had some GFCIs and some regular (decorator) receptacles, and 2 switches all in 1 package. Might be too light for you, though. I'd think basic dark brown would be easy to find (or don't they make those any more?).

• debsan
    15 years ago

May I suggest that you look for the paintable outlet covers. They are usually available at HD. It might cost a bit to have a quart of paint color-matched to your tile, but I think the end result would be well worth it. I suggest that you consider using BEHR flat or satin enamel for maximum wearability.

• ncounty
    15 years ago

what were your thoughts about topmount (as you chose) versus undermount sinks? I am in the process right now debating it. beauty of topmount is that it is very easy to change out; undermount is easier to clean around?

• chloe_s_mom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ncounty, is this for your outdoor sink? I saw your post on that (and was going to suggest that you have my white sink, so that I can get another colour - hahahah!) I chose this particular sink (Kohler, SmartDivide, Irontones) bec it is the best of both worlds - it can be installed either self rimming OR undermount (how cool is that??) It doesn't have any holes for faucets, so it can be installed with the smaller basin to the left or to the right (also very cool). But back to your question, I knew that I wanted the sink, but shied away from undermount in the butcherblock as I was nervous about how well we'd be able to cut out the hole for the sink (and with good reason - it is pretty rough), and, when I read the instructions, it said that I'd need a 36" cabinet for undermount, and I have 32". Turns out that we hacked into the adjoining cabinet anyway.

I've also read that some of these deep sinks are even deeper when installed undermount on a thick counter (3 cm granite or thick butcher block).

If I ruin my butcherblock and replace it with the same, I might consider undermount as I find it to be a bit of a pain to oil between the soap dispenser and faucet and the sink. Plus, my faucet turns on with a simple touch, and manages to surprise me each time I try to wipe in such a spot.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

I would think you could find dark brown receptacles at any HW store. But you might want to consider these - I think they were required in all new construction beginning last year?

Here is a link that might be useful: brown sliding outlet cover

• desertsteph
    15 years ago

the slide cover one looks like it might really blend with your tile. i don't like tile alot anywhere but looks like you did a good job putting it in! the grout would drive me nuts.

I was going to suggest also that you paint some the color you want them to be. I think they just stand out like a sore thumb now and ruin you nice sleek look. once they're changed out it'll make a big difference. be sure to repost when you've changed them so we can see the 'new' look.

maybe you could have your sink recoated another color? they do that on tubs etc in bathrooms. but I think the white sink will be fine! I don't think everything has to be matchy matchy.

• boxerpups
    15 years ago

Chloesmom,
    I love the beautiful progress. Keep up the good work.
    ~boxerpups