Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pedimom

desperate for ok, good and great granite seam pictures

pedimom
15 years ago

I was challenged by my granite company to find a better seam then the one they did. I have polished absolute black with a very noticeable and rough seam.

Please help me and post your photos so I can prove that I'm not crazy and I do know what a good seam or decent seam CAN look like.

Comments (25)

• Stacey Collins
    15 years ago

Well, I just noticed this one because seams were on my mind due to your earlier post. I THINK it was from a granite fabricator's site, so this must be an acceptable seam or he wouldn't have posted it.

It's not black, though. HTH

{{!gwi}}

• pedimom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you. It looks smooth to me at least.

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Here's a dark granite seam I pulled off the web. It's just under the second blue electric box.

Do you see it?

Really it's there.

Keep Looking.

O.K. here's the in progress pic.

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Also, I'd check out tsdiver's finished kitchen. She has a seam down the middle of her island that's practically invisible. She has soapstone, not granite, but soapstone is very dark like absolute black.

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

I grabbed this one of the web, too. This is a very dark black granite, I'm not sure which variety.

• vrjames
    15 years ago

those are excellant examples.

I am sure there are plenty more.

Pedimom... your guy is a hack, since he has responded this way to you.

Dont pay him and move on.

• vrjames
    15 years ago

THAT machine costs a couple of thousand dollars.

Hacks don't use them.

• katiekitchen
    15 years ago

Pedimom - I can't see your pics!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Here they are...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pedimom's Pics

• Buehl
    15 years ago

OK...I took some pictures of my polished, Absolute Black seam...the "very good seam"

First photo: look closely to the right of the cooktop.
    Second photo: includes the edge so you can see the seam better

If you want the originals, click the link below. These are the 4000x3000 versions (much too big to post here! I post 400x300 versions!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Full Size (4000x3000) pics

• danielle00
    15 years ago

The seam should be invisible. I can't believe your counter guy dealt with you that way. It isn't your job to go around town and show him a proper seam... he should know what one looks like.

So sorry!

• iris16
    15 years ago

laxsupermom or anyone else What are they doing with the machine to make the granite seam fit closely?

• pedimom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you so much to everyone who is being so helpful.
    the granite company called again wanting their final payment- i said i would pay when the job was completed right i'm so mad right now. i'm gonna send these pics to my hubby to print.

buehl- thank you for always bailing out my failed photo links.

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

pedimom, he didn't use a black epoxy? That's outrageous. With such an evenly colored granite, yours should look like buehl's very good seam.

iris16, to be honest I don't know the technical answer for what the gorilla grips do other than hold the joint tight. I do know that a good seam starts with good prep and templating. vrjames or some of the other granite fabricators can better answer that.

• nutbunch
    15 years ago

Now I'm thinking my seam isn't so good, looking at all these others.

It's noticable, I have Impala Black granite. The seam isn't white, but is a line in the counter. I must grab my camera and come back.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Nutbunch...you should see the seam I didn't post here...I had to fight to get it the right color, it still isn't the same height on both sides of it, from the edge you can really see the difference in thicknesses, and they cut the pieces too short so I have large gaps (filled with brown caulk or whatever) b/w the counters and the cabinets...and that's after I made them come back to make it look better!

When they came back a third time to install the cooktop pieces...it was a completely different team...the head manager/supervisor came out with them and oversaw the entire process. I suspect it's b/c I made such a fuss over the sink counters that I got better workmanship this time...even the head guy admitted our sink counters were not the best.

I would never recommend my granite fabricators to anyone! [I mentioned MIA and SFA to my fabricators and their response was that they were too strict in their guidelines...RED FLAG! (It was too late for me.)]

• vrjames
    15 years ago

The Gorilla Grip is a small compressor and a vacuum pump that draws the pieces tighter together than any person could do.

It then holds the grip until the epoxy cures. Then they can remove the device.

Pedimom, Show the guy Buehl's pic and hold your ground.

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

All seams are visible if you look hard enough but when a seam is done correctly, you just don't notice it. Your seam isn't even filled with the correct color filler. What could they be thinking? Do not pay them. Tell them you're getting in touch with the Better Business Bureau and filing a complaint against them if they don't fix it to your satisfaction. Make a stink. That is shoddy workmanship.

I'm so sorry. But I am happy you owe them money because it will be the only way that you may get that seam fixed. Good luck.

• flseadog
    15 years ago

peidimom, I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this but very happy that you have not paid them in full. Stand your ground and don't accept this awful workmanship. I don't know if it will make you feel any better but I just returned from Arizona because DH had to go there on business. While he was trying to earn some money to pay for our granite I went to an open house just to pass the time. Asking price was 18 million dollars. I'm not kidding. In this economy---18 million dollars and the granite seams in the kitchen were the worst I've ever seen. Everyone in there at the open house with me was just amazed at the awful workmanship (not to mention the terrible kitchen layout). Maybe some fabricators were able to get away with this type of shoddy workmanship when everything was booming but it's sad to think that a company even in the best of times would think they could get away with what your fabricator is trying to get you to pay them for.

• pedimom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks for all the pictures and advice so far. have a friend who does commercial granite and have asked him to come and take a look. DO you think this can be fixed without taking off my counter?

• Buehl
    15 years ago

The color of the epoxy can be fixed w/o removing the slabs--ours was. As for the "chips" along the seam...you'll probably have to live with them like I do w/my other, not-so-good seam.

• harriethomeowner
    15 years ago

Here's our one seam:

It's pretty neatly done, fairly smooth, not 100% perfect, but okay. They did a nice job tinting the epoxy, I think.

• Michael
    5 years ago

I'm a decade late on this post, but I just had absolute black countertops installed and was trying to figure out if the seam was acceptable.. it's all I see.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    5 years ago

I am a fabricator. "Invisible" is the wrong word and wrong expectation for a seam in stone or quartz. "Inconspicious" is more accurate and, properly done, is very attainable excepting the presence of a grain transition at the joint that can make even a perfectly tight seam easily visible. It takes experience, time, and the proper tools to do a good job.