Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muskokascp_gw

Bumps along the soapstone seam- what does this mean?

muskokascp
12 years ago

My soapstone has been installed for a few months now and I keep forgetting to ask about these bumps around the seam. I did notice them pretty soon after the stone was installed but with all the other things going on they always got pushed to the back. I have googled and searched the internet for some clues but can't find anything to shine some light on this.

Basically there are various sized raised bumps in the soapstone along the length of the seam. They are small for the most part although some are 1/4" in diameter. You can feel them and certainly see them when the light shines along the seam and they extend about 1/2" out from either side of the seam.

Any ideas? This is kinda weird I know for a solid piece of stone.

Comments (17)

• ci_lantro
    12 years ago

Oozed out glue (epoxy) that didn't get cleaned up thoroughly before the glue dried?

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Picture(s)?

• muskokascp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Not epoxy - it is definitely the stone that is raised. Reminds me of a person with hives :) Pictures may be hard but I will try.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

What kind of soapstone is it? On mine (Python), there are small inclusions in the stone that are harder than the surrounding stone (talc) matrix. If I sand it with sandpaper in my fingers, the talc wears away and the harder bits remain "proud" of the surface, making a bump. (If I sand it with a belt sander, this does not happen, because the surface that backs the sandpaper cannot deform.)

The seam is obviously somewhere that sanding would take place. Is it possible the bumps are harder inclusions? Try putting a straight edge across the seam to see if the seam area is lower than the surrounding counter area.

If you have any spare SS pieces, you could try sanding with sandpaper in your fingers, and compare to sandpaper on a wooden sanding block This might tell you if my idea is correct and whether or not you can ameliorate it.

• laranbrian
    12 years ago

I have a similar issue. My kitchen has Cobra, a supposedly harder variety of soapstone. I too beleive it to be from areas being hand sanded vs sanded with sandpaper on a solid block. I would think these could be sanded flush with a series of progressively finer grits of sandpaper mounted on a sanding block until the reworked area has the same feel as the surrounding areas. It should be easy, but with everything going on it's been really low on the list!

• enduring
    12 years ago

Since it's along a seam it sure sounds as if it is ozzed out epoxy that just didn't get totally sanded away. Especially since it is on both sides of the seam. I don't think a fabricator could match the bumps that closely:) Unless of course there are plenty of bumps that are only on one side of the seam. What do you think about my symmetry theory.

• sis2two
    12 years ago

I had some of those bumps too. Recently when floridajoshua refinished my soapstone, he took them right out. He told me what they were from but I can't recall what caused it.

• sandy808
    12 years ago

Floridajoshua is so good I don't have one seam....even in the "L" of my cabinet/countertop run, and I have a large kitchen. He cut everything perfectly so there would be no seams, and there was not one bit of waste when we were done. He's the best there is.

It may be worth a call to ask him what those are from, whether he is in your area or not, and what to do about them. It is Creative Soapstone, and they are in Punta Gorda, Florida.

• florida_joshua
    12 years ago

The bumps are a finishing issue. Angie hit the nail on the head. Attached are pictures of refinish work we did on our last trip, showing the dreaded "bumps". I would like to comment that it is very difficult to get a seam perfect. Some, and very little, texture is going to happen. But it should not be seen, just felt a little. Basically, if someone never said anything to you, they wouldn't know about it.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• teraza
    11 years ago

Sorry, but how do you get the bumps out? Sanding finer? I just got my soapstone installed in my kitchen and it is horrible for bumps.. all over the place!

• Brent B
    11 years ago

I have just had my soapstone installed and I had some of those bumps.
    The bumps could be little bits of stone somehow attached to the top, take a razor blade and at a low angle scrape them off. They come off quite easily.
    Then, wipe with a cloth to remove the little bits and some dust.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

teraza: when you say "all over," do you literally mean that the bumps are distributed over the entire surface? Or are they located near seams, edges, etc?

Pictures?

• teraza
    11 years ago

I will get pictures when I am at the house later, but it is very similar to the first photo by Joshua. My counter top looks like acid was spilled on it and it was bubbling up? I know its the iron bits and I don't think it was sanded flush. My seam is also not so good. I haven't fully paid the countertop finisher yet, so advice is greatly appreciated.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I am no Joshua, but I think the only real solution is abrading it with something that has absolutely no compliance. I would be tempted to treat it like a polished gem: lap it.

Do you have any spare countertop material to test? This is kind of a big project, but you could try taking something flat and hard, and maybe a foot across. You could use a second piece of soapstone, or a piece of polished granite (such as a floor tile or a scrap of countertop), or some plate glass (thicker is better). Then get some abrasive, like aluminum oxide powder. This is available in many different grits. Carefully wipe your test piece to get rid of stray grit, throw some abrasive on your test piece, and make a slurry with some water. Then rub your lapping plate (the granite or whatever) around over this in randomish directions. You may need to use progressively finer grits to get the large bumps out (needing coarser grit) and to get the sheen you want (needing finer grits).

• cam349
    11 years ago

muskokascp: I'm on the east coast and was wondering where you bought your countertops (soapstone and quartzite)?

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I think Angie needs her own TV show.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I doubt I need a TV show, but I did learn something since the time this post was active nearly 4 months ago. I think I have a better solution than the "lapping" idea I posted on May 31 (although I still think that approach would work, too).

I have had really good success with silicon carbide wet-and-dry sandpaper. I have used 320 grit and 400 grit. Take a spare piece of soapstone, maybe 4 or 6" wide, as a sanding block, and wrap the sandpaper around it. Throw a little water on the problem area, and stroke the sanding block around in circular motions. You will soon see a slurry of talc appear, which you can wipe away or leave it be. 400 grit is smooth, and leaves a finish comparable to the finish mine came with. 320 is just a bit more aggressive. It is great for removing scratches and evening out seams.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert