Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flush-Mount, Cast Iron, Apron Front Sink?

Posted by LisaHE9168 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 8:28

Hello,

I have been reading these forums with great interest, and this is my first post.

We are doing a kitchen remodel, and are committed to having an apron front sink. I have been planning to buy the Kohler Whitehaven 6487 enameled cast iron with tall apron, undermount installation. However, my husband really dislikes the look of the sink mounted underneath the countertop (specifically, the "cut-out" look of the front of the apron. He prefers the front of the apron to be flush with the countertop height creating a continuous visual line.) I called Kohler, and they advised against installing the Whitehaven flush mount.

So, now we're looking for a cast iron apron front sink that can be flush mounted. I have only found fireclay sinks that can be flush mounted: Porcher 35020, Franke FHK710, Blanco 518540, and the Whitehaus WHQ530. The Blanco is too big for our space (we'll have a 30" sink base). And I'm very hesitant to go with fireclay due to all the cracking issues I've read about.

Has anyone found/installed a flush mount, enameled cast iron, apron front sink? I'd love any advice or suggestions!

Thanks in advance,
Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flush-Mount, Cast Iron, Apron Front Sink?

Check out the Ikea Domsjo sink--it's not cast iron but it generally gets great reviews, and you can't beat the price!

Here is a link that might be useful: Domsjo

o

Hi Lisa,
I came here and joined to ask the very thing you did! I'm wondering what you ended up doing/finding? I have not found any flush-mounted or drop in (zero hole) farmhouse style cast-iron sinks. I cannot stand the gunk-trap our current under mounted fireclay sink has between the sink and countertop. The caulk gets eaten away and junk accumulates regardless. We are leaving it behind for a new kitchen in a new home and I am also looking to flush-mount the Kohler Whitehaven 30" sink. If you remember, what reasoning did Kohler give for not recommending that installation? Hope you are still active here and wouldn't mind giving and update about your solution!

o

Hi Smoking Ponies,

Thanks for bringing me back to Garden Web. I had planned to post an update about what I ended up doing, but of course got sidetracked.

I could not find a cast iron, apron front sink that could be flush mounted. I can't remember exactly, but I think Kohler said that the sink wasn't "finished" on all sides. They recommended only mounting the Whitehaven undermount. So, I decided against the sink.

I posed this follow up discussion about the Alfi Fireclay sinks:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0317094023838.html

I ended up buying the Alfi AB511, and I absolutely love how it looks! We mounted it flush. I'm still nervous about the fireclay and am not sure how it will hold up, but so far, it's gorgeous and gets a lot of attention.

Good luck! Let me know if you find what you're looking for!

Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here