Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drkona

SingleDad's Backsplash--DONE! and oh so sexy!!

drkona
16 years ago

Here it is---I am sooo pleased. I had folks over last night and the kitchen was da BOMB! Many gushing comments about the 'splash:

Note I added new outlet covers...also from Lowes!!

thanks to all for great comments and suggestions. The kitchen is officially DONE!!!

DRK

Comments (27)

• cpang74
    16 years ago

Great job! Congrats

• jrmom
    16 years ago

What a beautiful job...it's amazing!!!

• mnhockeymom
    16 years ago

It's gorgeous!

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

Oooooh, now that IS sexy! Congratulations on being done! Love my slate backsplash with ubatuba, too...mine's just a little more, er, petite?

• amcofar
    16 years ago

Everything looks fantastic!

• don_chuwish
    16 years ago

Y'see, that's where I'm hopeless, I'd never find something that works so perfectly in terms of color and texture. I like what I see, but could never have come up with it myself! Congrats, job well done. Did I miss the details in another post? What's the tile?

- D

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

I love it! It's beautiful and classy. Congrats on a great, great choice.

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Single dad, sexy backsplash--what a killer combo! Watch out ladies.....! LOL

Looks beautiful! Enjoy the lovely space you've created!

• drkona
    Original Author
    16 years ago

don_chuwish,
    Here is some background info in this thread:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0317011219677.html
    I too had a hard time----gave up for several months. Then walking through Lowes...not EVEN looking for tile--there it was!!
    DRK

• ci_lantro
    16 years ago

If you get bored with a finished kitchen, here's one itsy bitsy little upgrade that you might want to consider. :)

Your kitchen is awesome, BTW! I love it!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gray Electrical components

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Just beautiful. Now you need to echo it somewhere else in the house...:) (aka project creep)

ci, do you have any pics of those gray components installed? I'd really love to see them in place to see what kind of difference they make. We have several satin nickel receptacle covers and I'm wondering...

• drkona
    Original Author
    16 years ago

flyleft,
    Oh, boy, project creep! I renovated the entire house @ the same time--everything is new over entire 2 stories. Only thing left is outside--looking to the gardens.
    DRK

• muscat
    16 years ago

LOVE IT!

• ci_lantro
    16 years ago

Flyleft--No, I don't have any pix & can't find any. Just vaguely remembered seeing the outlets for sale somewhere (Lowe's, maybe?)

You might take a cover plate with you and try it w/ a receptacle in the store & see if the greys blend OK.

• momto4boys
    16 years ago

Wow, looks GREAT!

Hey, ever think of changin' your sign on name? Since every post you start with "singledad" :) :)

• kcinkc71
    16 years ago

It looks great! It really pops and looks amazing with those cabinets!

• arleneb
    16 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I ordered a sample of those same tiles months ago and they're currently resting on the bathroom counter while I decide if I like them well enough to use in place of my wonderful, unreplacable current accent tiles. Your project clinches it . . . I do love them.

• boxiebabe
    16 years ago

Beautimous! Congratulations!

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Bravo!

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

drkona, Hmmmm...a garden...

I see it now: a slate patio visible from the kitchen. In the same slates, just a slightly different pattern (how about that fabulous random pattern muscat's doing?)

• brmjandme
    16 years ago

Fantastic! Love the tile colors.

• kristenfl
    16 years ago

I have to tell you, although I basically loved your backsplash when you first posted pictures, their was one tile over the stove that bugged me. It stood out black while all the others blended together. Maybe it was just the picture, but I didn't have the heart to say anything.

Since it has been sealed, I don't see that at all! I officially love it all! You've made so many wonderful choices in your remodel, and this is just one more.

I'm sure the outside of your house will be beautiful, too, with your incredible taste!

• tgpdd
    16 years ago

Love it, love it, love it. I've been thinking of using the same tile, and have similar style cabs ordered.

Did you do anything to seal/enhance the tile?

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Pretty sweet!! Nice work, Doc!!

• mysterymachine
    16 years ago

Nice, I like it - your kitchen has a lot of wood and this offsets it very nicely. Good choice!

• drkona
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the great comments--it really did turn out spectacular. I could have done a lot of other selections for a backsplash, but I am sooo glad I WAITED and just didn't RUSH into a decision. This was a very inexpensive decision vs. glass tiles I was considering. Just lucky I stumbled upon this tile in Lowes that day.
    Someone asked if it was sealed/enhanced.....yes, twice. Sealed/enhanced before grouting, and then after grouting/cleaning it was done again. The look is totally different after enhancing.
    DRK

• gshop
    16 years ago

WOW!! It looks great! It compliments your granite and appliances so well. It really pops and look professionally designed! Congratulations on a job well done!