Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ejbrymom

What range/cooktop do you have? Would you buy it again?

ejbrymom
14 years ago

What range/cooktop do you have? Would you buy it again?

We are beginning to look around for an upgrade to our Kenmore range - it is very functional but not anything special. I love to cook and would love to have a nice range to cook on.

So what range did you get? What sold you on it? Would you buy it again (are you happy with it)?

PICS please too :)

thank you! - jen (ejbry)

Comments (18)

• keptoz
    14 years ago

I have the 30" Frigidaire Professional freestanding gas range. I've only been cooking on it for a few days now but so far I love it.

Here is why I bought it (in no particular order)

- 5 burners with a griddle insert
    - power boil & simmer burners
    - self clean
    - racks - comes with 3 - one is easy glide & one is split, so if you have a tall item, you can remove half of a rack & still fit in multiple dishes - see the pics on their site
    - convection option (which is VERY quiet!)
    - has some neat options like timed baking (oven shuts off automatically) & convection convert
    - has a lock button ( I have a toddler)
    - big oven - 5 cu ft
    - warming drawer with 3 settings
    - stainless is coated to decrease finger prints (my Frigidaire dishwasher has this also & it really does help!)
    - PRICE! I pd around $1300
    - professional look (like the chunky knobs in the front)
    - have always had good luck with Frigidaire appliances
    - good ratings/reviews

I looked at a TON of different ranges & always came back to this one. Mine has a black top, but they make one exclusive to Lowe's that has a stainless top. I thought the black fit my decor better & would be easier to clean...

Here is a link that might be useful: Frigidaire Professional Range

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

Currently have white 5 yr. old Kenmore gas range with self cleaning oven. Works like a charm-no complaints. Has huge interior oven, powerful burners and simmer burner, heavy cast iron continuous grates-cost around $700.

We are empty nesters so just need basic, reliable range to fit our needs. Children gone out of state, not a lot of entertaining, eat out often, no cordon bleu cooking. With that in mind looked at Wolf, Bluestar, Capital, Viking, GE Monogram, Electrolux, Thermador, and several other pricey, pro ranges. They just weren't for us. We ended up getting the Kenmore Elite gas range with self cleaning oven, 5 burners, convection, cast metal knobs, stainless with black cooktop (can't deal with scratches), huge interior oven with warm & ready drawer for around $1500. Big must have for me was that even though burners are sealed the burner caps lift off for easy clean with Easy Off cold oven cleaner. Lots of ranges the caps are screwed down and can't be removed. Range and other appliances won't be delivered until April but hoping they will serve us as well as our previous Kenmore appliances. Also with the money saved from not buying a $6000+ range that we really don't need, we are planning a sweet vacation where DH who has been DIY will be able to scuba dive all day if he wants to as he deserves it!!

My advice to you is to look at your family needs, shop around, read the reviews from this forum and the appliance forum. GOOD LUCK!!

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I have an Amana slide in gas range that I bought for a combination of price, features, appearance, and how much it projected from the face of the cabinets--half-inches were important in this kitchen.

I have had it since 2003 and it has never had a problem. Its not fancy but it gets the job done and is relatively easy to keep clean.

• rjr220
    14 years ago

I moved on from a Kenmore Smoothtop to a GE Profile 30" induction range. A year ago I never heard of induction cooking, but became intrigued. I did not care for the radiant smoothtop, with it's unpredictable response to turning the nob, the large but uneven baking oven, the black top that begged to be cleaned after boiling water.

I love this induction range. The burners are as responsive as gas, the top is easy and a joy to clean. The convection oven is marvelous, I am enjoying the warming drawer. It does the job I need for my family -- DH and 2 teens (one of whom is a 14 y/o boy who is a food Hoover)

• rj56
    14 years ago

After living with an immortal copper colored hotpoint range (electric) which was here when we bought our house in the 80's, I talked my husband into a Whirlpool glass top conventional a couple of years ago. No bells or whistles except a warming area & self-cleaning, but I'm not an avid cook. No complaints about performance except, it's hard to get it to a simmer or low temperature, and it is more work to keep the top looking nice. I did get the black glass, for which I am thankful,but I wouldn't get a glass top again.

• kaismom
    14 years ago

I have a Viking all gas range that I have loved for 10 years. I am keeping it for my remodel. I am having a budget fatigue.

When this range dies or when my budget recovers from this remodel, I will replace it with an induction range. So I will not buy it again.... I am ready to move onto induction.

• joann23456
    14 years ago

I got a Bosch 800-series 36" gas cooktop. I'd definitely buy it again. It's got plenty of power, good burner spacing, cast iron grates, easy-to-clean stainless steel well, very attractive..

• rufinorox
    14 years ago

I have the Figidaire Professional as well and I agree with keptoa. This is a great stove and has some really nice features and has a nice to it as well.

keptoz- I've been cooking on it for two days and love. One question for you ... does your power boiler burner have a cover or is it supposed to show because it is a larger btu burner? If so mine didn't come with a cover.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad40/rufinorox/Kitchen%20Before%20Pictures/?action=postuploadshare

Here is a link that might be useful: 16,500 btu burner

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

Would those of you who had/have an under $800 gas range give some model numbers? I can't make up my mind on the ones I'm looking at and am not at all satisfied with the grates. They are not heavy duty and I don't think they will last. I'm going to buy something next time Sears has a really good sale. I've looked everywhere around here but there is no selection. Best Buy doesn't even carry kitchen stoves! The home stores are asking way more for the same thing I see at Sears. And the home stores don't have it on the floor to look at.

• keptoz
    14 years ago

rufinorox - yes, the power boil burner does not come with a cover. I thought mine was missing also, but then I looked in the book that came with it & saw that it is an unsealed burner. I just posted on your backsplash post that we had the same range. Your kitchen is really moving fast & looking great!

• rufinorox
    14 years ago

keptoz - thanks! I figured the same after seeing the link of pictures you posted. Yes, we're moving at a rapid speed now. just 2 more weekends and we should be complete... well expect for the backsplash! Its so frustrating.

• brickton
    14 years ago

We have a really basic fridgidaire free standing oven. What is the opposite of professional grade? Amateur grade? Rock throwing monkey grade? Whatever it is, that one. Okay, maybe a step up because it has a stainless front.

And yet? We love it. It bakes evenly and consistently. The glass top is easy to clean. It has no special features and yet it does everything we need it to do, all for about $500 bucks.

We will buy this exact same stove again, but this time with auto-clean. Manually cleaning the stove was fine before we had kids. Now, not so much.

• cooksnsews
    14 years ago

I've been cooking on a 36" DCS AG for the past year and a half, and I still love it. However, to be perfectly honest, a 30" would have been adequate. But, I had the $$, and was sooooo disgusted with the old smooth-top I had that I guess I went a wee bit overboard. I seldom use more than 3 burners, and the oven does take longer than I expected to preheat. I'm almost always the only cook in the kitchen, and usually only cook for 4.

But didn't I say I still love it? I know lots of folks who have paid more for their sewing machines, so I'm allowing myself this indulgence.

• rufinorox
    14 years ago

There are a few differences between the two. The Professional series comes in stainless steel only that I'm aware of, they charge you extra for color. It cooks in convenction, has a 16,500 burner that boils in less than a minute, is self-cleaning, has a warmer drawer it also has additional features on the board for example allows you to automatically start the stove at any preset time, has a lock feature for children, allows you to preheat in minutes. Its the top of their line without having to pay electrolux prices. There are owned by the same company. I guess its a matter of preference. I know most people don't care for all the bells and wistles, but for the deal of $900 I happy with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: frigidaire professional

• ejbrymom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great responses. please keep them coming.

• idrive65
    14 years ago

I bought a Capital 305 (four regular burners plus a big wok burner in the middle) a year and half ago. I had just joined this forum and had range envy. Viking was going through some growing pains, Wolf was a budge buster. I walked in as they were uncrating this model at the appliance store and it was love at first sight!

Would I buy it again? That's a tough one. It was a lot to spend for a 30" range, and the economy is down right now, so probably not. I don't cook any better on this range than I would an a less expensive range but I do cook more often because I like being there, in front of my pretty range, LOL. Dh and I have decided that our next range will be induction, which wasn't available to us in a 30" range when we were shopping. I'm 46, he's 53. If this range lasts 15 years, induction ranges will be common and we'll be old[er] and appreciate the safety of them. Plus I won't need as many pots and pans so I won't cringe at having to get rid of all my stuff for magnetic cookware.

• freckles510
    14 years ago

I have a Thermador, 36 ", six burner Masterpiece gas rangetop that I love. It has "star" burners that allow you to boil quickly and simmer very low. Puts out 18,000 BPU.

It is very attractive and easy to clean. I am very happy with it.

I also have a Thermador Wall oven which I am equally as pleased with.

• honeysucklevine
    14 years ago

Pinch_me, check out your local sears outlets where you are if you want to get a gas range at a low price. They have lots where I am at.