Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hobokenkitchen

Need Tile Decision Help Again Please! Please Vote!

hobokenkitchen
11 years ago

So we're going on for our third bathroom remodel in 2 months - yikes!
Bathrooms 1 and 2 are waiting on shower doors only so it's time to start on 3.

All we are doing in bath 3 is replacing the tile floor, tub and wall tile. Everything is staying where it currently is. We are keeping the vanity.

Here it is:

We have polished limestone on the countertop and need to find a floor tile which works.

I think the wall tile will be a simple white beveled subway either plain or crackle finish.

Here are our floor tile options.

The flower tile I love (pic borrowed from grlwprls)

Or the simple basketweave.

Basketweave sitting on top of the limestone.

The basketweave colors seem to work well with the limestone and the red dot picks up the veining in the limestone nicely, but I think the floral is so pretty! Just maybe not as a floor tile?

Please vote for:

1: Basketweave
2: Floral.

Thanks!!

Comments (19)

• catbuilder
    11 years ago

You do know this is the kitchen forum?

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes.

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

the flowerish tile or something akin to it....I think she used quite white grout which I probably would not do on a floor.So the darker grout would change the look a bit but that would probably be okay. Maybe there are a few sample boards of that genre-slightly different sized/colored/or a tweak of the shape of the "flower". I like that idea generally tho. Is it in the "floor tile" durability class?

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes I think it is.

Honestly we are totally out of time and I have been procrastinating terribly on ordering our tile so I think these two are our finalists unless everyone hates them! ; )

The other flower ones are lovely but pricier.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Hobo - check the coefficient of friction since you plan to use on the floors. You don't want to end up with a slippery floor.
    We are heading to BR next...

• jansin62
    11 years ago

FWIW, I would choose neither, although they are both very beautiful. That's going to be a lot of grout to clean! I would go for a larger tile with less grout lines.

• natebear zone 10B
    11 years ago

Neither one appears to be a good canidate for a bathroom floor. I'm also nervous they'll be slippery. However, I prefer the basketweave.

• localeater
    11 years ago

I love the flower tile and think it will be lovely on the floor. You MUST check that it is rated for the floor however. I also think it would be fun to do it as a "mat" in front of the vanity or in part of the room and use plain field tile for the rest of the space.
    Sort of like this:

[Traditional Bathroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by San Francisco Architect Gast Architects

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Basket weave because it looks less fragile and picks up the colors nicely from your counter with a darker contrast color.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Definitely basket weave. However, way too much grout for the floor IMHO. I'm with jansin62 and would look for a large tile with less grout lines.

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

I'd vote for the basketweave (and not just because I used the floral on the wall in my kitchen).

Mosaics generally aren't slippery - the grout lines make them grippier than a lot of large(r) format tiles. I have these crappy white 6x6's in every bathroom in this house (ugh) and you could like to kill yourself on those with wet feet.

The issue with the floral is that onyx can be fragile. I got a pretty decent lot, but I also hand inspected every single sheet, removed the "uglies" and used two sheets to replace the rejected pieces. The marble also has some very distinct gray (which does not appear in your limestone) but does appear in my Corian, so I'm not bothered by it.

And yes, I did use bright white grout and no, I would never use traditional white sanded grout on a bathroom floor. At a tile shop you'd likely have more choices in the white/cream family.

I just think that overall the basketweave is a stronger choice for your space. If you got a very grey lot of the floral you'd be even more behind on tile - and stuck with it to boot.

Lisa

• williamsem
    11 years ago

I second the vote for a flower tile rug. That would look great, and allow for bigger, cheaper tiles on a large area and therefore less grout overall.

• smiling
    11 years ago

Two such beautiful tiles, each will give you a completely different look. I vote for the basketweave because I think it fits better with the vibe I see in your photo. Maybe this is a case for the epoxy grout?

• Laura517
    11 years ago

Oh I disagree with everyone- go for the flower tile, as long as you make sure it will not be too slippery. I love that look! And of course there will be more grout to clean but you know that already! So choose the one you really like! It's gorgeous and unique!

• Linda
    11 years ago

What is the over-all style of your home? And is this a guest bath? Main bath? Kids' bath? I would tend to agree that the basket weave seems more appropriate for a floor (although with the same reservations concerning the amount of grout)

• deedles
    11 years ago

I'm incapable of voting for anything else when that floral is an option. Grout to clean? Yup, but seal the crap out of it. Especially if that is a guest room, flower tile. Does your DH like the choices. btw?

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Basketweave
    I wouldnt worry about the grout just keep it sealed.
    The basketweave is a linear and seems to "ground" the room a bit especially with the dark center square.
    Although the floral is drop dead gorgeous it might be better suited to a wall. Maybe "save" it for a really special accent wall. Seems a bit fluffy for a floor.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Don't know about the slip or fragility factor, but based on look alone basketweave for sure. It's classic and the other tile, while pretty, reminds me of a country quilt.

• Megan Lopez
    11 years ago

Basketweave