Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Grout Boost vs. Bostick Urethane Grout

bbstx
10 years ago

My backsplash is going to be re-done. It will be white subway tile with light gray or maybe even white grout. I worry about staining the grout with grease and such, especially behind the range. The tile guy says he can add Grout Boost to the grout and it will be stain resistant or he can use Bostick Urethane Grout. Anyone here with experience with either?

Comments (9)

• msrose
    10 years ago

My tile guy also mentioned the Grout Boost. I read the reviews on the HD website and some people love it and some people hate it, so I'm afraid to use it now. I would be more tempted to try it if I was using white grout like you are, but I read a couple of posts where they said it made their brown grout pink! If you have the option of urethane, I would definitely go that route.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Brown turned pink...eeek! Wonder what it would do to a light gray?

• scpalmetto
    10 years ago

I have used the Bostic urethane grout for several projects and swear by it. I live in a humid damp climate and we constantly had to clean mildew off the shower grout until I renovated one bathroom and used the urethane. Nothing has stained that grout in several years now. I also replaced the grout around the tub in the master with it and am constantly amazed at how clean it always looks. I used white grout in those projects and recently did another bath using sage green grout. Just be aware some tile setters do not like using it because it is a little harder to work with, they can only do a small section at a time before stopping to clean it.

• lam702
    10 years ago

Yikes! I hope it doesn't turn my grout pink. We just finished our backsplash, we used antique white color grout and added boost to it. So far its not pink, maybe over time it will be, I certainly hope not. I will say, the boost does lighten up the color of the grout a bit, but in our case, it looks perfect. Time will tell if it change color, or whether the boost keeps it from staining.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, SC. The tilesetter I'm working with suggested the Bostick Urethane Grout. He is a sub to the GC. I need to question them both closely about the tilesetter's experience and whether or not he is up to the task of using the Bostick product. He seems quite eager to use it, but he thinks it is a new product. From what I could tell from here and from John Bridge, it looks like it has been out for at least 4 years. That gives me pause...

• msrose
    10 years ago

hpny - I think you're fine with antique white. I think it was the darker grout colors that had problems

• kinei
    10 years ago

I think the bostick grout is either trucolor or color quartz. From what I was told is they are basically the same grout but they each had slightly different colors. Not sure how true that is. Both are urethane grouts though. It can be a lot harder to work with and will leave a haze over the tiles if the installer is not careful. You can also look into using an epoxy grout. Some people swear by those as well.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I asked the tilesetter today if he had ever used urethane grout. He hasn't. When I told him what I had read about it being a little difficult to use, he decided that maybe we should just go with Grout Boost, especially if I am not going to use white grout.

• Myra Nissen, CCH, RSHom(NA)
    4 years ago

Let's see an after picture