Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Counter top people: question about KD vs. fabricators

deedles
10 years ago

Say, question about this whole counter thing.

I ordered my counter top a couple weeks ago. The KD came out and measured to get enough of an idea what to charge me for material and install. Was told to expect the contract in a day or so.

Then, a week went by and no agreement forthcoming. Took a phone call by me to get one with an apology.

Was told to sign it and send a deposit for about half of the cost. I mentioned to the KD that several items specified during his visit was not on the agreement, i.e. drain grooves, full height back splash. He said "oh that's okay, you just explain it to the guy when he comes to template." I asked was this all still included in the price and he said yes, that it was.

Another week goes by and no call from the templater to schedule. So, I call the KD again and leave a message wondering when I can expect to hear from someone.

KD's wife calls back and says "Oh, it took me forever to find your order... um, the counter you ordered is discontinued." When I questioned that, she blamed the fabrication shop for not telling them. As in "they didn't let us know for some reason". I asked her how she didn't know this when her company had sent me the contract and she said "I guess we didn't notice then".

Okay, 2 weeks in now. I pick another counter top on the phone (thank goodness for all the samples that I ordered, haha).

So yesterday, the guy from the fabricator shop calls and says he's in the area and can he stop by because he heard this is a 'rush job'. Okay.

When he gets here it becomes apparent that he knows nothing about the things KD and I talked about. He shows me his communication from the KD which only shows the measurements of the counter, mentions a 6" backsplash and "optional shelf". He also tells me that the KD estimated 2 sheets of material and said "no way" is that going to be enough.

So. This morning I've sent an email to the KD asking for another amended contract reflecting the counter material change (this new choice is a grade cheaper than the one I originally wanted so I'm thinking it should cost me less, too.) and noting what I've already paid as a deposit.

Now. Since I've signed a contract for a certain amount. If the fabricators bill to the KD is higher than originally thought because of needing more material and more fabrication, can this KD guy come back to me for more $$ or does he eat the difference? Far as I can tell, he's done nothing but have his name in the phone book and isable to get the fabricators to come to my house (they don't deal directly with the public).

Just starting to feel a bit sketchy about this.

FWIW: we had this same KD company do a counter in our other house 6 years ago and they did a great job, perfect and we were very happy which is why we called them again. But, back then they also did the fabrication and a couple years ago the owner dropped the fabrication part and just does KD now. Have no idea if that's germane to the issue but thought I'd throw it out there.

Comments (10)

• jakuvall
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Typically countertop contracts have a disclaimer about price being subject to template or field measure. There is very little profit in counters for KD's in most cases so extremely hard to eat much. Certainly not a full height backsplash.
    Not doing their job- your call what to do.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm. Read through the contract 3 times and not one word price changes pursuant to anything. Guess I'll have to see how it shakes out and deal with something if it arises. I was just wanting to educate myself a bit in advance. Thanks, jakuvall.

Oops. Just found an email written by me that I had forgotten about. Guess I covered my bases last month after all? I put my questions in quotes and his answers are directly below each question.

> Hi (KD name),
    > > Thanks for the quote. I do have a few questions:
    > > 1. "In which group is the Formica Luna Sand solid surface top?"
    Group C color, price would be $2922.92 plus tax for perimeter countertops

> 2. "Does your estimate include installation of the plant on style splash?"
    Installation of all solid surface materials is included

> 3. "I understand the full height up charge is the additional amount for the material only; or is that additional amount including installation?"
    T price includes installation
    > > 4."Where would a counter/splash of the same specs fall cost-wise in Wilsonart Antique White color? I am now also considering that as an option."
    It would be a group B color, the lowest price that I quoted you before ( $2516.28 + 209.43 for the full height splash)
    > > 5. "Is all of this 1/2" or is some of it 1/4" as we discussed?"
    It is all 1/2" as formica does not make a 1/4" panel in your color
    > > 6. "When I decide, how does payment proceed?"
    We request 1/2 down and balance upon installation completion
    > > 7. "What is the time frame for delivery of the slabs after ordering?"
    They would template and it would be about 2 weeks after that when the tops would be ready for installation
    > > "I think that's what I need to know at this point in time.
    > >
    > Looking forward to your reply,
    >(me)"
    > >

This post was edited by deedles on Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 9:40

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

"Just starting to feel a bit sketchy about this."

deedles:

Your sketchy detector is out of calibration, please have it fixed immediately. It should have spiked at the 5th paragraph.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trebruchet: ha, yes. It blipped for sure but really spiked when the guy came yesterday and it seemed apparent that I had been lied to. I didn't really know before then that the fabricators didn't 'forget' to tell the KD that it was discontinued.
    Yeah, well now the deposit check is cashed and the counter guy has made the template (and I got no bad vibes off him, whatsoever) so I guess I just have to see how it shakes out, right? Cross fingers this process goes smoothly after this baloney!

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Initial estimates aren't hard quotes until after the template. Initial measurements are all ''soft'' until then. The customer may change their mind about the amount of ovrhang, or edge chosen, or type o sink or th KD could forget a sidesplash or that desk area. Once the template occurs, if there are no changes, then the numbers are final. Or if there are now 62 feet of counter calculated instead of 65, the customer gets a refund. Of course, if it's the other way around and 65 instead of 62, then 3 more feet needs to be paid for by the customer. Which is why I always rounded up numbers and over estimated slightly. People would much rather get a refund than pay additional.

The KD sounds as though he may have other issues on his plate that are affecting his organization and communication. I say that because you said you used him once and were happy. He might just have lost his office manager or have sick relative or something. But, it's not professional on his part to just apologize and then be just as flakey again. He should be striving to be sure your project is fast tracked, which it sounds as though he's doing. And if it were me, I'd also try to see if I could upgrade your edge or sink or something as well. A heartfelt apology paired with ''good will gesture'' goes a long way towards soothing people's sensibilities when you screw up something.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    10 years ago

I would call the KD and ask for my money back. The statement "...oh that's okay, you just explain it to the guy when he comes to template." would be major alarm bells for me.

seems like you have a real potential for a problem between the fabricator and the KD regarding what is included.

ditch the KD and go direct with the fabricator. The KD is not doing the work he should be to earn his mark up.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Ditto with Oldryder.

This is an accident waiting to happen. Do you really want to continue with this winding, rocky saga? How many warning bells and red flags are necessary? It's exhausting to deal with and you might not catch everything yourself.

• cindallas
    10 years ago

Ditto from what Oldryder and Snookums2 said. What does your contract or work order STATE is included? Hollysprings is right that once templated, then will be firm. But what IS included?? If the details are sketchy and your taller backsplash and drain groves are not listed, then you have no backup that they were even supposed to be.

Typically, they should write in all the notes and special requests like those details and also including standard details like cabinet overhang, the choice of sink overhang, seam placement, backsplash height (or none at all) written in the templating notes. Did you see them? If those are not written in and it's not standard to have them, and you receive your countertops without them, you have no written backup. And yes I agree that things as is are just begging for problems. The only way I would stay with them is if you have the work order or contract INCLUDE all the details of your order. GET IT IN WRITING. Everything. Including the price which is not typically on the templating notes. I'd either do that or ask for a refund before contuining. And I'd also pay by credit card and not a check. Hope you can resolve this soon.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, here is the original contract which does mention the high backsplash... he just didn't put it on the template to the fabricator. It also mentions the the integral shelf but not the drain grooves, which the templater measured for and is making.

It seems the disconnect was mostly between KD and fabricator. I'm going to hang on and see how this shakes out based on my previous excellent experience with this KD. I get the red flag issue and I'll keep my radar turned on but really it looks like the only thing he forgot to write down on the contract was the drain grooves. I did ask for an amended contract this morning so I'd expect to see it Monday.

10 degrees, snowing AGAIN, 101 temp and a headache. So sick of this winter.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

While you had a good experience in the past, people and businesses change. I've seen businesses go from excellent to bad very quickly. I would explain your concerns to the KD directly and see what happens.

Hope you feel better soon. Don't be pushed into any decisions until you are feeling better. Kinda of likw, don't go grocery shopping when you are hungry. You end up buying the first things you see and they are usually not the best choices.