Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dholland99

Have your painted cabinets chipped & how long have you had them?

dholland99
10 years ago

In the very early stages of planning our gut renovation which will include an addition and removal of a chimney to open family room to kitchen. I have my heart set on white kitchen cabinets - at least on the perimeter but have been really discouraged with some of the durability issues I've seen in friends kitchen cabinets. Several have brand new kitchens (under 3 years old) and their white cabinets are already showing wear - chips in the finish, dings in the lower cabinets and seams opening after a few winters (high heat, I'm in Boston). One friend's white professionally lacquered cabinets are holding up well to chips but 6 years in they are definitely starting to yellow noticeably. I know there are SO MANY different finish options with the painted cabinets from factory finishing to DIY but I'm just curious -

1. If you have painted cabinets, what was the finishing method? Were they factory sprayed? Oil? Latex? Did you DIY with a cabinet coat like product?

2. Are your doors wood that was painted over or are they a paint grade MDF (which apparently takes the paint better I've been learning).

3. How long have you been living with your painted cabinets?

Thanks all!

Comment (1)