Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kodak1_gw

Corner sink question

kodak1
14 years ago

Does anyone know what is the maximum size sink that can fit into a 36" corner cabinet?

Comments (15)

• friedajune
    14 years ago

I am sorry Live_Wire_Oak but I disagree with you. I have a corner sink in my kitchen for the last 4 years. I love it! I wouldn't do it any other way. Really, in any future kitchens I have, I will want a corner sink. The advantages are:
    - leaves uninterrupted expanse of countertop
    - allows tons of room under the sink for disposal, plumbing, storage, etc.
    - allows room behind the sink for single handle faucet
    - uses what otherwise would be a dead space.

I'll address some of Live_Wire's points:
    As to the idea that only 1 person can stand in front of the kitchen at a time, that is true, but honestly, it rarely comes up for me that two people need actually to stand there for any length time, and if someone needs to use the faucet while I am working at the sink, OK, I stand aside for 30 seconds, no biggie.

Regarding weight/support/scooping - I do have a stainless steel sink which is light and easy to install--it would be tough to install heavy fireclay or enameled cast iron in a corner but it has been done successfully by several on this forum. My cabinets were semi-custom. I have a 33-1/2" corner cabinet base, which was notched, plus there is some filler cabinetry on either side (my cabinet company and GC took care of those details, so I am sorry I am not sure exactly what they did, but it looks great). My sink is 27" wide (interior). I have 4.5" of granite countertop in front of my sink (plus an ogee edge overhang), and it is my understanding that you need 4-5" of countertop in front of an undermount sink REGARDLESS of corner installation or not, for the integrity of the counter. I have my sink filled with water all the time, and nothing has ever happened.

Also, it is important not to have the dishwasher directly next to the sink, or you will be "trapped" by the dishwasher door. I have a trash pull-out to the right of the sink, then the dishwasher, and it worked out perfectly.

I agree that you need a skilled experienced cabinet installer and skilled experienced countertop installer for a corner sink installation to be done properly. But frankly, don't you want skilled people working on your kitchen regardless?

As to the OP's 36" cabinet and what size sink--OP, can you talk to your cabinet company or GC about this question, and get their opinions on largest sink you could fit?

• kompy
    14 years ago

99.9% of the time I agree with Live_Wire's posts. But I have to agree with akchicago on this one.

If a kitchen is small, it can totally make sense to do a corner sink. Like akchicago said, it allows you two nice lengths of counter space.

>They're also completely unsuited to using with a laminate countertop, so they aren't budget friendly choices.

I'm curious why you think this? Perhaps this is true with a rolled edge laminate, but a square or beveled edge, it works fine.

I usually use an angled sink front....not the entire cabinet. You will have to scoop the adjacent cabinets just a little bit. I disagree that this will cause structural problems. The WEIGHT on the cabinet is distributed at it's 4 corners....not on the sides of the cabinet. Will it void a warranty? Possible on the two cabinets that were cut. But I've been in business for 27 years and have yet to have a warranty issue on cabinets falling apart. Most of my warranty work is replacement hinges or drawer guides....and very few of those. I have also done 100s of corner sinks in a little plat neighborhood here with small kitchens. So far, in 27 yrs., not one has failed or had a disastrous outcome.

What I do agree with LiveWire on....is if your kitchen is on the large side...a corner sink is not the best design. I reserve corner sinks for small, space challenging kitchens.

• rlkamp
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting the arguments for and against the corner sink. We are currently finalizing our plans and are trying to decide whether or not a corner sink would work for us.

Kompy - We do have that small awkward kitchen that you consider a candidate for a corner sink. It's 10X12 roughly. So it's good to know that we may be on the right track.

My DH's big concern is whether he can live with a single bowl or not. I know that I can but I'm not the cook.

Akchicago - I would love to see a picture of your kitchen sink

• kompy
    14 years ago

I should also say that my comments above were referring to framed cabinets. If you're doing frameless cabinets....you should not 'scoop' the sides of the cabinet. In that case you need to do a larger sink base.

Also, if you do a top mount sink, you CAN fit a double bowl sink in a 36" or 42" corner sink space.

• kodak1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for all the information (pros and cons)about corner sinks. I am in the planning stage of my kitchen and I've spoken to a few kitchen designers about my kitchen/dinette space(approximately 23' X 13'). Cabinets will run along 14' of walls on each side of kitchen and I'm hoping to fit an island or peninsula in. One KD suggested a corner cabinet so I can get a longer run of counter space but I'm still waiting on some designs to come back. Hopefully, I'll be able to post a design soon and see what everyone thinks.
    I would also like to see some pictures of your sinks and know what the dimensions are.

• annie.zz
    14 years ago

I have a corner sink and I love it for my small space. I don't find it awkward to work at one bit. I have a ticor S405 D shaped sink. My installer shaved a tiny bit from the cabinet sides to fit the overhang using this sink. I could have fit a similar D sink without shaving anything if I'd gone with a slightly smaller sink made by Blanco. (I can't remember the model but the overall width was about an inch smaller than the ticor.)

In my old kitchen I had a corner sink with a laminate counter - it had been there for 10 or 15 years and there were no problems.

If you want to have 2 people working at the sink at the same time then the corner isn't great for that, but my space is so small and that was never possible anyway.

• kodak1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bump

• phyl345
    14 years ago

we have a corner sink in our renovation plans - will it make a difference if the 42" cabinet has a 5" *step-back*? (i don't know if that is the correct term )

we really would prefer the diagonal counter line go straight across instead of being indented, as the k.d. is suggesting - now that's a confusing sentence, isn't it! - can anybody understand what i'm so awkwardly trying to describe?

thank you,

• remodel-mama
    14 years ago

We too have a small kitchen and are considering a corner sink. Here is an image I found online that might be helpful for those of you thinking of using a corner sink.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Buehl
    14 years ago

What do you mean by "step back"? Do you mean recess it back similar to Marandall's sink? See the link to her sink pictures...

Do you mean a diagonal front vs 90o corner? Diagonal is better, IMHO, b/c it's easier to work at plus it brings the entire sink closer to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marandall's Corner farmhouse sink

• phyl345
    14 years ago

kodak - thanks for sharing your post --

buehl - I suspected *step-back* wasn't the correct term - probably *recessed* would be a more apt definition -

marandall's corner sink seems to be an example of BOTH - (*recessed* in with the pullouts) - and then straight across diagonally (pilaster/sink/pilaster) -- whoa, how excuriatingly confusing was that run-on sentence!

the example of the farm sink that remodelmama posted is what I was THINK I am talking about.

hope I haven't caused extreme dizziness in anyone try to decipher my rambling -- thank you --

• janetcic
    8 years ago

I need help!!! Our kitchen is small the kitchen sink is in a corner it had laminated ugly countertop which we tiled. Also we changed the sink for a ceramic type 32 in. After reading all these comments I have no idea how was that set up but I live my deep big sink. Now we are redoing the whole kitchen there is no way to out back that sink. We can find cabinets that fit in a corner I'm so disjointed because most cabinets are up we are in a very tight budget i can figure it out how did they install the previous sink. We just came and changed. I don't want one bowl shallow sink mine is deep and has double sink by the way although the the cabinets were original and was coming apart the sides we never had a problem holding on or caving in. It has already the hole for the faucet in the sink itself so I'm assuming is over the top whatever the term in. I'm so stressed out over this. My husband is not involved in this project just me he left it out to me and I'm trying to save as much as I can and use what we have. Thank you!!!

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

I think you'll get more responses if you start a new discussion as many will read the OP, see how old that post is, and just move on. Also, photos and a diagram of your layout with measurements would help. Something hand-drawn is fine, preferably on graph paper.

• Buehl
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Ditto what FunkyCamper said! Do not resurrect old threads (or hijack current ones) with your questions - most people will ignore a thread when they see how long ago it was started.

If your questions are not answered after a search of the Kitchens Forum, then start your own thread with your questions. Be sure the Subject is clear what you're asking for - but be brief. (in your case, you will need a new thread because I do not think you will find the answers to your particular situation elsewhere.)

Another suggestion: Your message is very disjointed and difficult to read. Please use paragraph/new lines for new thoughts and periods/commas where appropriate. I'm not actually sure what you're asking about - how to install a corner sink? whether to install the sink overmount (on top) or undermount (it will have to be overmount if the counters are done)? Something else?

Read Me thread: New to Kitchens? Read Me First!