Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgs7691

Do you have Upper Cabinets at 90 deg. angle? Pictures?

jgs7691
13 years ago

In our current kitchen design plan, we have two cabinets meeting at the 90 degree angle, with one running into the corner with "Dead space" (about 12" x 12"). I am not a fan of the diagonal upper cabinets (which we currently have) because everything seems to get lost in there, if it's not on the bottom in the front. I'd like to keep a 90 degree angle, but am worried about losing things in the dead space.

Any other ideas?

Can anyone share pictures (or descriptions) of what they've done in upper corners that they love?

Thanks!!

Here's our overall design:

Here's a close-up of the corner in question:

Here's a 3D mockup of the corner:

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome! Thanks for your help!!

Comments (14)

• brianadarnell
    13 years ago

jgs, I went to the kitchen designer yesterday to ask this exact same question. I am still in the midst of deciding. Here are the points that I have considered in attempting to make a decision!

Pros of corner angled cabinet- softens corner and proportion of the cabinet is close to the same as the other cabinets
    cons of angled corner- the opening was about 12" wide, so nothing wider will fit. The lazy susan in the upper only has about 9" of clearance between the lazy susan shelves. The angled cabinet takes up prep room.

Pros of 90d corner cabinet- shelves inside are adjustable, opening is nearly 15" wide, everything is more visible since the shelves aren't too deep. The 90D corner also allows for more head room while prepping in that corner
    Cons- the two smaller doors are "off" proportionately compared to other cabinets and appear tall and skinny.

I'm torn too, but leaning toward the 90D. Anxious to see some pictures of what others have done.

• jgs7691
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, brianadarnell -- I appreciate that info, and wanted to share another thread where I saw a photo that might be interesting to consider. (I have seen something similar in a kitchen showroom, now I wish I took a photo.) This would be a corner cabinet with hinged doors allowing one to open, or both, allowing access to the entire interior.

I'm still torn -- I like the hinged door idea, but like you said, it leaves the doors out of proportion to others on the wall. Of course, if you're going custom, there's no reason that both sides of the hinge have to be equal in length. Just a thought!

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Forum post re corner cabinets

• brianadarnell
    13 years ago

The picture (posted by desertsteph) is exactly what I was referring to for the 90D cabinet. I'm doing Brookhaven which does allow the corner cabinet to be accessed by two doors that open (left and right) from the center out. The problem with this, though, is that the knob is in the corner. I didn't think this eased accesibility any.

What do you mean about both sides of the hinge not being equal in length? How would you accomplish that?

• jgs7691
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, let me think of how best to describe this. . . imagine the open cabinets in desertsteph's photo. Let's say that is a regular corner size upper (24" on each wall) -- that would give you two 12" doors connected by a piano hinge, and then connected to one cabinet by a regular hinge. You could open to access one side -- pulling first knob but not pulling the hinge away from the cabinets-- or both -- by opening and then pulling the hinged doors away from the cabinet. (The hinged door would open much like a hinged door for a corner base "lazy susan" cabinet.)

With this construction, I don't think there is anything special about the symmetry of the doors, so now try to imagine a corner cabinet that is 36" along one wall, and 24" along the other wall. This cabinet could have a similar hinged door which would be 24" wide on one panel, and 12" on the other panel. It would open the same way -- first one side, then the entire corner.

Does this make sense?

I like this option, although in my space, I would either have really large doors (and I wouldn't trust the piano hinge not to sag over the years) or I would have small cabinets on either side of the corner cabinet, which would interfere with symmetry on the rest of the wall. However, depending on the wall space that you are filling, it might work for you.

What do you tnink about that idea?

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Oh, at first I thought you meant an OUTSIDE corner. I've got one of those but...never mind.

My old kitchen had an angled inside corner cab. We used lazy susans to access the depths. The whole lower shelf was spices, condiments, etc. Top shelf held things used seasonally--guts for the ice cream maker, Christmas tins, dusty stuff.

45 degree angle is much easier to pull open than reaching into a 90 degree corner, esp for kids.

• debbie1031
    13 years ago

I don't mind the blind corner cabinet at all! In fact, we are redoing the kitchen now and everyone wanted me to go with the corner angled cabinet and I said no. I think the diagonal cabinets have infinitely more unusable, dead, space for things to get lost in. I use my blind corner cabinet for cereal, oatmeal, lunch snacks, etc. The bonus to the "blind" section is that the "newer" cereals, treats, etc I slide in there to the left and the opened ones are right in front of the kids. It's like product rotation for me!

• blubird
    13 years ago

Here's a picture of mine both closed and opened. I didn't want that diagonal corner cabinet because I felt that much of that interior was inaccessible. It's true that (in my case) the right-hand door is smaller, after it's up you don't even notice it. I had debated putting a handle on for show, but decided against it. I figured that would cause confusion to anyone unfamiliar with how the doors open.

Helene

• User
    13 years ago

This past thread shows a couple of different corner options including mine which I copied from a previous gardenweb member and love!

Here is a link that might be useful: corner cabinet options

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

We have a corner cab that goes straight back:

We mostly store bags of coffee beans, extra mugs, back-up coffee filter (new) and back-up glass carafe for the coffee maker (new) in the "dead space." It works for us--allows for a full-size cab on the adj wall.

• lala girl
    13 years ago

Just like Cat Mom, ours goes straight back too - we did it to get the full size cab on the adj wall.

We have glass shelves and lighting so it's easy to find things back there - I use it for vases, and serving stuff I don't use often. HTH!

{{!gwi}}

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

My blind upper cabinet is annoying, but not as bad as the bottom ones. While I've never had a cabinet like this, I think I would really like it. I saw this at a store display and thought it would be really handy.

{{!gwi}}

• jgs7691
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the ideas and pictures! @athomeinva -- are your doors cut on a mitre on the edge, or do they close with a gap? @Blubird -- love the way you did your corner cabinets -- it looks like the space is very functional and accessible. @debbie1031 -- I love your product rotation idea for use of the blind space!

• User
    13 years ago

Neither, the door on the right closes first and is longer so that the door on the left overlaps it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Joy, I have those. HATE them. I have lazy susans ordered right now to put in them. that two height shelf is a PITA! If you must, get the shelf that is one piece. BUT you will be leaving a trail of bread crumbs to get anything out of the bottom shelf. If there's a pull out or anything at all available to bring the contents out of the cab, seriously consider it.

I also have the diagonals on top. I've put lazy susans in there already. I WISH I could change them for the kind blubird has. I'm going to check the price when I'm in Mason Saturday. If it's not take your breath away expensive, I might do that this year.