Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ootm_mom

How to hide water line through backsplash?

OOTM_Mom
10 years ago

Hello, my tile backsplash will be going in in about a week and a half. I fished the water line for my coffee maker through the DW opening and through the wall because I didnt want to put another hole in the countertop. I've searched online and in box stores for grommets, havent seen any I'm crazy about. The water line has a small shutoff valve attached that I didnt remove before fishing, whichis why it is a 2" hole. There is a matching hole below the counter in the back of the DW opening.

Any suggestions for how to finish before tile person gets here?

Thank you!

Comments (5)

• speaktodeek
    10 years ago

I'm assuming the shut-off is accessible below? So you need only a hole in the tile wall big enough for the line and not 2 inches? I'd use a 1/4 inch I.D. Buna N rubber grommet from ebay and have the tiler "tile" it into place using flexible caulk. You want a rubber grommet to take the stress off the line so the line isn't pinched by a hard surface, potentially weakening it.

Here is a link that might be useful: example of 1/4

• User
    10 years ago

Look at Hafele for something stainless.

• speaktodeek
    10 years ago

Also, if the connection between the line and the coffee maker is not quick disconnect, you can cut the line between the appliance and the wall and insert a John Guest type quick disconnect of 1/4 x 1/4. I'd even use one with a valve, that way you don't need to get down below for shut off. These fittings are secure and easy to install - just youtube them.

Here is a link that might be useful: fitting example

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, I have some of the black rubber grommets, I suppose I can paint them with something if they show at all. Just over a week until BS install.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Have him tile it so there is a just a little hole and see if you can find a small escutcheon. They are usually used to cover the hole where the pipes come out of the wall under a sink.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022