Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharkdiver_gw

Is this how the tile backsplash should end?

sharkdiver
13 years ago

Hello,

The installation of the tile backsplash started yesterday and I am just not sure if this looks right at the end of the cabinet run. Our installer ended the subway tile so that it lines up with the upper cabinet. While this gives it a nice line, look how much granite does not have tile on top of it. I'm not sure if this looks right.

There is a 1 3/4 overhang at the end of the cabinet which is big to start with so that is leaving almost 3 inches of granite without tile above it. I know the overhang is huge, but here's what happened. I noticed that the run on the other end of the "L" had a 1 3/4 inch overhang while this overhang only had 1 inch. I thought it would be better to be symmetrical so the granite insaller removed the slab to the right of the stove and made it have a 1 3/4 overhang too so both cabinet ends are now symmetrical. Oh boy, what do i do?

Thank you for your feedback!

Comments (17)

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

Well, the tilesetter needs to pry off the end tile (is it called a listello?) and the cut subways, and finish the tile to the end of the wall or to the end of the countertop. It doesn't looks right as it is.

• annettacm
    13 years ago

There are two schools of thought on that. Some like it ending at the cabinet, others like it ending at the countertop.... since this doesn't look right to you, I'd say you are a countertop sort. I'd have him change it or it would bother you forever.

• annettacm
    13 years ago

There have been a few posts about this already... maybe this one will help? Again, both ways are fine; personal preference....

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous thread on where to end BS

• maryann_m
    13 years ago

Aside from the issue of where the tile ends,... your tile looks beautiful!

• sayde
    13 years ago

I prefer it the way it is. If you run the tile to the end of the granite it will stick out beyond the upper cab and required a wraparound with the listello-- afraid it will not look good, and will leave only a very skinny margin for the painted wall at the end. It is better the way it is, IMO.

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

I prefer it how it is. But I like it lining up with the uppers if you just have to pick one point to line it up with (that's what we did on ours).

• momtofour
    13 years ago

I would keep it the way it is, too. I like it lined up with the uppers! Nice tile, btw!

• prill
    13 years ago

I would take it to the end, but as others say, it's a personal choice. No right or wrong. If you think it looks funny, you should have them change it.

I have a larger section at the end than you, but here's a pic of mine going past the cabinet.

• vpierce
    13 years ago

You could also have them put an edging piece along the seam between the wall and countertop to make it look more finished.

• blubird
    13 years ago

Yours looks exactly like mine with the vertical pencil. I think it looks just fine.

Helene

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I thought this is how mine was too, so I pulled up the only photo of that end! I need to take some pictures. You can see it in the background!

{{!gwi}}

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I like it the way it is. Prill's looks nice because the counter continues.

I think it would look bad to have the tile floating out there on it's own, like a stubby thing. Neither way is wrong. It's just what you prefer. Looking good!

• Fori
    13 years ago

I kinda like it.

• John Liu
    13 years ago

If you take the tile all the way to the edge of the countertop, then you have to figure out what to do with the exposed ''shoulder'' corner of the backsplash. Does the pencil edging (listello?) stop there? Does it wrap around to a short bit that terminates at the cabinet side? It can't actually bend, so there will be a separate short stub that has to be mitered. Then how does it end at the cabinet? Just butted against the wood? You're going to be calling attention to that detail - is that what you want? You'll have to clean it too. Is there an equivalent situation on the other end of the counter run? Will you handle it the same way, is there room, or will the difference bug you?

Now look at the subways and how they are laid out. If you want to extend the backsplash by an inch, there will be awkward little 1'' slivers of subway tile against the pencil/listello. Some people (me) will look at that and think there's a tilesetter who didn't lay out his tile competently.

A lot of stuff to think through - I like it as is, personally don't think the look will be improved by extending for another inch, and also think this needed to be thought about before tiling began. At this point, I'm not sure there is a graceful way to add an inch.

• annettacm
    13 years ago

I agree completely, johnliu. I've seen it done (and have done it) both ways, and I think if maybe there was a wooden door frame, I'd go all the way to that. But with this set up, either way you end it, it will be arbitrary (to the cabinet "end" or to the counter "end") and someone will see it wrong. As it stands, the tile lays out very nicely, and it looks like you planned it that way, and that is never wrong.

• mountaineergirl
    13 years ago

here is mine, it goes out past the upper cabinets, to the end of the counter. But yours looks good the way it is.