Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dglmichelle

Under sink storage

dglmichelle
15 years ago

Now that our kitchen is nearing completion, I looking at all the storage ideas that I can implement after the fact. We now have a 36" sink base and even with everything installed, there is still a lot of room under there.

Is there any kind of pull-out for sink bases? What do you store under your sink? Pictures please if possible!

Comments (13)

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Hi,

There are tons of pullout options for the sink base. I bought a wire mesh drawer from Linen's N things and I tried to find it online for you (Can't remember the manufacturer's name- and it's not on the shelf anywhere), but no luck. I just love this simple solution for where to put all the little things that accumulate under the sink. I bought a wire towel rack with hooks for about $3 from HD, and on the other side have my trash on the door- it's made by Sunbeam, and I got it from Lee Valley.

My under the sink area has stayed neat and tidy now for over a year. I also have a bin at the back of the garbage side for extra bags/rags.(You can just see a tiny corner of it in the pic.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Raehelen, if you check back here...what are the dimensions of that trash bag holder? I checked Lee Valley & only some dimensions are stated (12"Wx19"H...but what about depth?)

I'm looking for something like that for under my prep sink...but it's in a corner sink base so the space is limited in both width & depth.

TIA!!

• lascatx
    15 years ago

Mine is 36" and has my trash and recycling (there is another trash pullout on the far side of the island, but I opted for a second DW over a second trash pullout on the clean up side). The photo linked shows the bins pulled out. When the two smaller baskets (DW detergent, sponges, liners, brushes and more) are pushed back, the bins go sideways across the front.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Fori
    15 years ago

Would it be silly to stick a full size (shallow sided) pullout under there? Obviously tall items would have to be on the sides so as to not collide with plumbing, and spots might need notching for clearance, but I'm thinking of doing it.

Added benefit: if it's plastic, it'll catch leaks from DIY plumbing mods.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Interesting idea, Fori!

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Buehl,

The trash holder is 9" deep.

Fori,

We are having a 6" high full extension pullout shelf made for the bottom of our basement vanity. I'd originally wanted a bottom drawer (with the sink base doors above it), but the carpenter pointed out that to balance with the 11 1/2" deep drawers on the two sides of the base, it would be mighty tight fitting in an undermount sink and plumbing, etc. DH is DIY all the plumbing, so he will make sure it's high enough to clear the shelf. No pictures yet, as the vanity hasn't been completed. I will line the pullout with Life liner as I did under the sink in the kitchen. We've already had a wee link (some connection was loose), and the life liner caught it! Whew!

BTW, now that I've finally ordered my custom made vanity, it seems like there are vanities popping up all over the place with bottom drawers under the sink!!! Where have they been for the past year? I was just a little ahead of the game!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Thanks Raehelen! This may solve my "no trash pullout in the prep zone" dilemma! (I tried an iTouchless...it's now in the PR startling long-legged people who sit down on the commode!)

Sorry for the hijack Dglmichelle...now back to the rest of the "under sink storage" story!

• dglmichelle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No problem buehl!

I was thinking that someone made a sink base pullout that had one long pullout on the bottom and two side pullouts to go around the drain.

I thought I saw a picture of someone's NeverMT on some sort of pullout - off to search!

Thanks for all your help

• sprengle1
    15 years ago

I saw this article online at The Family Handyman and I think this may be the way we will go so we can make them the sizes that will fit under our particular sink!

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY under sink storage

• atlbeardie
    15 years ago

I put two full size pull out drawer/shelves under the sink at our lake house garage apt., and they work very well. As you said, you can't put tall things where they interfere with the plumbing, but it makes good use of space for shorter items. I didn't think of this in time for the cabinet maker to supply them, so I went with some aftermarket ones that I got at the Container Store. I'll take a photo for you when we are up there this weekend.

• atlbeardie
    15 years ago

Picture as promised is below. This is a 34 inch wide sink base.
    {{!gwi}}

• Fori
    15 years ago

Thanks, Lakehouse--it almost seems like it'd be better to DIY it after everything is in place and you know what you need instead of having the cabinet maker supply them.

• chefkev
    15 years ago

I have a 33" sink base and was able to fit a rev-a-shelf trash pullout (sideways) under my sink.