Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimt_oh

Does anyone line their cabinets?

JimT_OH
13 years ago

Well the cabinets are in. In the past I have always lined my cabinets with contact paper. The new cabinets seem to have a coating on the all the shelves and bottom of the cabinet. The shelves seem very durable. Is it necessary to line cabinet shelves these days?

Thanks!

Comments (34)

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I have lining under my glasses and in my silverware drawer. In the silverware drawer it keeps thins from sliding around too much. No place else though.

• katsmah
    13 years ago

I lined most of the shelves and drawers.

• maryann_m
    13 years ago

For those who do line their shelves, what do you use? My cabinets were just installed last week. I'd hate the idea of adhering contact paper to my new wood cabinets, yet I don't want to ruin the finish through everyday wear and tear either.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

My mother lines hers and mine every time she visits. I rip out the liners the day she leaves. Yuck yuck yuck! Honestly cleaning wood is easier than cleaning a liner and that sticky stuff....horrible! It ruins the cabs.

• billp1
    13 years ago

I am sure most people with new cabinets do not use the sticky back paper any more. There are liners made from plastic that just sits flat on the shelf on there is rubber type liners that does the same..We got ours at Costco but the big box stores have it as well as Bed & Bath and lots of places on line.

• stacieann63
    13 years ago

I line my cabinets especially the bathroom and under the kitchen sink where I keep cleaning products. I use contact paper in those places and a spongy mesh liner in the other cabinets and drawers. Silverware, knives and stones can scratch the bottom on the cabinets. However, my cabinets are sugarpine and are softer than most woods.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

I only lined drawers/pull-outs, and not all of them. I used Cushy Cupboards based on all the recs here when we did our kitchen (2007).

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi Jim..

I didn't line any of the cabs that hold dishes, pots, glasses etc...They are easily dusted every now and then...I even vacumed out my deep pot drawers the other day.

The only shelves I protected were the ones that hold drippy, sticky stuff..such as the pantry shelf that houses all the oils, vinegar, honey, syrup...

I just put some old baking pans on that pantry shelf and placed all the oils, etc...on top of the pans.

I also laid old towels under my sink and that's where I put cleaning supplies for my kitchen...on top of the old towel.

I find this to work great for me!

KA:)

• hungryheart
    13 years ago

I lined a few (pantry, shelf for glasses) using LifeLiner which I got at Bed Bath and Beyond. It was recommended on this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: LifeLiner

• laughablemoments
    13 years ago

We just lined a bath cab with the vinyl that was left after laying the flooring. Durable and scrubbable. And inexpensive. Tacky? Maybe, but it's the kid bath, I honestly don't mind. : ) I read someone else's idea once of doing similarly with peel and stick tile. I thought this idea might be helpful for someone who is unable to reno right away. This could extend the "shelf-life" of aging cupboards considerably.

• vitamins
    13 years ago

I was told by the KD NOT to line the cabinets -- at least not with anything like contact paper.

• cardamon
    13 years ago

I use a cork liner from Williams Sonoma. Blends right in. It is not sticky, it just lays there. Still looks fine and it has been a year in both cabinets and drawers bottoms.

• plllog
    13 years ago

I have some cork (for looks) and some Cushy Cupboards (for function). The cork is okay, but the Cushy Cupboards is fantastic. Not only does it keep leaks from dripping, and is very easy to clean--I think I read that you can even put it in the dishwasher--you can scoot it out a little to get at something pushed too far back, it pads everything, did I mention how much easier it makes cleaning???

I'm going to cut up the scraps for separators for dishes, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

By making a template first, my father was able to help me get each of the corner upper shelves (which do, as is common, have a diagonal across the very back) out of a single piece.

There is no cost advantage to getting the 12", and the same amount of cuts, so the 24" is more versatile and all you need.

Gosh, I sound like a commercial. No stake in the company. It's worth doing a good estimate for how much you need and getting it at once, as the single roll postage can be high, but it's pretty reasonable by the box. There are stores an hour away from me that carry it, but it cost less for postage than the gas would have been.

• sayde
    13 years ago

We use Pimpernel placemats -- they have cork backs. After they get old and nicked they become shelf liners.

• bethohio3
    13 years ago

The only cabinets I've ever lined were my DD's first apartment. I wasn't very good at it, but the crinkled contact paper was way better than the sticky shelves she started with.

I didn't even consider lining my current cabinets or the kitchen I did before building this house.

If I ever regret it, and the cabinet shelves don't hold up, THEN I'll cover them--but I don't expect it to happen.

--Beth

• melissastar
    13 years ago

I have lined the shelves with our everyday glasses on it...in large part because I'm lazy about making sure all glasses are completely dry when put away from the dishwasher...and last time....I got rings on my beautiful new wood shelves.
    I've used some kind of cushy stuff, made by rubbermaid, I think.

• katsmah
    13 years ago

I used a combination of LifeLiner and the IKEA shelf liner that looks like the LifeLiner.

• atd_oc
    13 years ago

Another Cushy Cupboards fan here! Contact paper has many problems, it is so hard to position and then hard to remove.
    LifeLiner has ridges that hold particles and has to be removed to clean. Rubber liners come out with the pots and pans, they don't stay put.
    Cushy Cupboards is easy to install, has no ridges and is not rubber so it will stay in place. I love it!!
    It is expensive but I buy it at Denaults True Value when it is on sale.

• function_first
    13 years ago

I lined every drawer and shelf -- while I've gotten a lot of great advice from this board, Cushy Cupboards, for me, was not one of the good ones. I found it to be a functional disappointment -- it slides around in the drawers, and scrunches up in the back constantly from the movement of the drawer, and once it's "scrunched" it does not "unscrunch" but remains permanently misshapen. I have some other Duck Brand liners that I prefer, ironically I bought the Duck stuff while I was waiting for the Cushy Cupboards to be shipped to me, as a stop gap, but they're the ones I prefer now. the Duck ones are a smooth, squishy vinyl and they stay put very well for me (here's a link to the product on amazon, but it's cheaper at Walmart or Home Depot). I ended up cutting up the Cushy Cupboards and using it between stone wear pieces in one of my drawers. It works fine for that, but not as a drawer liner. At the price it costs I wouldn't pay for it again, there are better options for separating stone wear.

Here is a link that might be useful: Duck Smooth Top Non-Adhesive Liner

• cessnabmw
    13 years ago

We just lined our new kitchen cabs and all vanities in the new home with these:

http://www.duckbrand.com/Products/shelf-liner/non-adhesive-liners/select-easy-liner.aspx?IDH=1100732

Love it! They are soft and keep all the stuff from moving. Bought the rolls from Costco (in Canada) for $9.99 - saw the exact same rolls at Wal-Mart for $22!!

• susanka
    13 years ago

I line only the under-sink cab, where something might spill and leave a stain. My spices and vinegars, etc.,are on round twirlers in the corner upper cab, so no problem there.

• lisadlu
    13 years ago

After my new cabinets were in I lined all of them (drawers and shelves) with the rubber mesh stuff. I ended up taking about half of it out because when I lifted up pots, glasses, plates, etc the rubber stuff stuck to it a little and it drove me crazy. I did keep it in some of the drawers where things would otherwise slide around (cutlery, etc).

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

This will sound crankier than I intend it to, but can someone fill me in on how using liners is cleaner than no liners? They've always kind of grossed me out. I just can't imagine how a sticky dripping plasticky clump is easier to clean than just swiping a wooden shelf with a damp cloth? And what about all the crumbs etc that fall during normal usage - don't you have to peel up the liners every time you clean?

• function_first
    13 years ago

circus peanut: I can't speak for all, but my reasons for having the liners has to do with (1) cushioning the blow as I put away glasses and other chippable/breakable dishes, (2) gripping everything that sits drawers so everything stays put when drawers are opened and closed (3) sound -- to me they soften the sound of things being put away (what can I say? I guess I like it quiet when I'm unloading the dishwasher).

As far as cleaning goes, when it's time to wipe out a shelf or drawer I empty it anyway, so it's no more work to lift the mat and wipe it in addition to the drawer or shelf (one more swipe, no big deal), I've not found any of the liners to be drippy, sticky or clumpy, so not sure what type of liner you have experienced in the past -- maybe someone lined your shelves with graham crackers? ;-)

• irishcreamgirl
    13 years ago

A friend of mine told me about a liner she purchased for her Ikea cabinets that she purchased at Ikea. She said it was made just the right size to fit the depth of the cabinets so she only had to cut for the width.

I do not have Ikea cabinets but I found liner just like she explained at Bed Bath and Beyond. I don't remember the name but it is transparent and has ridges in it. It is not sticky but is thick enough to lay flat and because its transparent it is not obvious like some liners.

The ridges are nice because they allow air to circulate up under my glasses if they did not dry completely in my dishwasher.

I have been very pleased with it.

• dakota01
    13 years ago

I lined every drawer and cabinet in my new home.

Under the laundry, kitchen and bathrooms sinks - I purchased some leftover vinyl flooring material. I like it since it is durable and stays put. I get alot of drips from laundry soap etc.

I put a thicker shelf liner in my other areas and I HATE IT !! I purchased it at Lowe's thinking - thicker is better. It's not. It puckers and slids, I spend a lot of money on this liner but I am tempted to take it out and buy something thinner.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Kris_Ma's response surprises me because one of the things I love about Cushy Cuboards is that it's really really stiff, almost like cardboard. I'm trying to figure out how it got all squished up. As to moving around, I was really careful (and my father helped with the hard stuff) to make sure it fit really well, to less than 1/8" so it can't move around.

What makes it easier to clean? Well, when other (nameless) people put the laundry detergent in the cupboard, they seem to let it dribble all over the place so that it pools all around the bottle. And they spill the powdered additives. In the cupboard over the dryer. It's a LOT easier to empty the shelf, carefully pull out the Cushy Cupboards liner so that the loose stuff doesn't fall off, dump it in the sink, wash it, let it dry and put it back, than get up on a ladder and scrub the cabinet. It dries a lot more quickly too. Same for when a can leaks in the pantry. I keep orange soda for company, but eeeewwwww to the icky sticky a whole leaky can made. I had to wash everything that was in the same rollout shelf, and the Cushy. The Cushy was very easy to clean up, especially compared to the stuff that usually sits on it. Could have ruined the finish in the ROTS without it.

For cleaning where the dishes are, I agree, it's an extra thing to clean. I have a good, hard smooth finish on my shelves, which is very spongeable, so I have it there for just for the cushy. Part of the joy of the friction is that when I'm pulling a dish off the top of a stack that's too close to the next shelf up, the stack I'm pulling from doesn't scoot forward, like it does with no cush.

• Kimmi Thompson
    6 years ago

In my drawers i used some cotton check napkins... They catch crumbs and are easily removed when its time to launder them. Also they keep things like utensils and silverware from sliding around

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

I may have to look into the Cushy Cupboards. I use the spongy mesh stuff for silverware and glasses - but it's hard to clean. I didn't use liner anywhere else, and my cupboards have suffered from it and now have various stains, particularly under the sink where I keep the soaps. I did use liners in the baths, and those are so easy to clean!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I have always lined the shelves and drawers in my kitchen cabinets. I used Contact paper in the past as it was pretty much all there was. Would NEVER do that again! I like both cork and the ribbed vinyl from BB&B.

I also use scented paper liners for my drawers in my bedroom. Always have.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    6 years ago

I line my drawers, but not my cupboards -- The drawers are lined to keep things from sliding with the movement, and to minimize the noise of placing items down and while opening/closing (particularly for the large drawers with pots, pans, and lids in them). It's definitely non-adhesive....I used Duck Brand Select Grip Easy Liner (cheap on Amazon and with the features I wanted).

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

I also use scented paper liners for my drawers in my bedroom. Always have. Awww... reminds me of the lavender I'd collect and put in my drawers... sadly all my lavender has died.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

I line everything. I think it looks pretty. Scented paper in chest of drawers, pretty liners in kitchen cupboards and drawers- always. A huge pain to do, but feels right to me.