Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ndsa_gw

TV or Computer/Tablet for the Kitchen

NDSA
10 years ago

We were planning on putting a TV in the kitchen, that we could mount on the upper cabinets and flip down & rotate when we want to watch it. (I think there are products that do this, but I haven't actually seen one) But now I am wondering if it would be more useful to put a computer or ipad instead.

Currently we have a TV on our counter that I watch the local news (network stations) when I am making/eating breakfast almost every morning. But it would be nice if it was also a computer so I can use the internet to do recipe search on it too. I am not sure if I can watch network TV (not cable) on a computer.

Any suggestions. And how would you mount it?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• quadesl
    10 years ago

I purchased this bracket for less than 10 bucks and a 13 inch LED TV for a bit over $100. The TV swivels and folds back for when I want to oil the soapstone countertops.

I image you could get a similar sized smart TV if you wanted Internet connectivity.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Bracket

This post was edited by Quadesl on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 9:51

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I just put a laptop on my island (I don't watch tv on it). We planned on mounting a tv in a corner on the wall but just haven't done it yet.

• Kooops
    10 years ago

If you have an ipad or some other tablet device already, I would just use that as needed. They do make wall mounts or under mount holders for them, but when I cook with a recipe I use a Dell Venue 8" tablet and just move it as needed. My cover has a built in stand that I place on the counter.

If you enjoy regular network news channels, I would go with the TV.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

We put a TV in a cabinet with nesting doors over the fridge...it's across from where we sit at the island and above the fridge is hard to reach space anyway.

I have a lap top and an iPad so I can have the computer screen anywhere I want.

• NDSA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Quadesl - Where do you store the tv cable box? Do you keep it in a cabinet and open the cabinet door when you want to use it. Or do they make a remote that will go "through" the door to turn on the cable?

• ilovenaptime
    10 years ago

If you want to watch tv on your iPad you could buy a Slingbox, which attaches to your cable box and then allows you to watch tv (including anything you've DVR'd) on an iPad or laptop. We have one and like it.

• quadesl
    10 years ago

Quadesl - Where do you store the tv cable box? Do you keep it in a cabinet and open the cabinet door when you want to use it. Or do they make a remote that will go "through" the door to turn on the cable?

The small Comcast HD tuner box and the A/C power strip are in the cabinet above. The Comcast box can be synced with the TV so that it doesn't have to be in view of the remote control, a really neat feature!

• calumin
    10 years ago

I've come to the conclusion that it's best to use an iPad (even a cheaper earlier version) to access the Internet, and leave the TV for TV.

We have a 46" TV mounted on the wall, and it's Internet-connected, but we use the Internet connection for things like Netflix, not to browse the web. Tablets are also nicer because you don't have to worrry about where to put the keyboard or mouse.

NDSA -- for the cable box, in my case I pulled cables through a wall and put the box in a cabinet. You also have to remember to have a remote sensor from the cable box to the TV, so your remote control will still work. Either that, or you would buy a custom remote control that can work through cabinet doors. You may also need to deal with venting because cable boxes produce modest amounts of heat.