Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison0707

Help with Backsplash: carrera arabesque?

alison0707
10 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I have found so much great information for my kitchen reno by searching these boards.
Was hoping I could push my luck and ask your assistance with a backsplash choice I'm having trouble making.
We are installing white painted shaker cabinets on the perimeter of our kitchen. Perimeter counter will be ceasarstone concrete. Floors will be a very lite gray porcelain tile that has a wood grain look. I want to add some interest with the backsplash but my aesthetic is pretty simple and leaning towards contemporary. For some reason I'm drawn to the arabesque tiles. I've seen pictures online - but can't find anyone who has actually done one in carrera. I've attached a picture. I'm also getting samples of the same pattern in a larger tile which I thought might be a bit less busy. Thoughts? Has anyone seen this done in a kitchen? Another option is the same tile in white - but I do love the marble.
We have a rather large space but are installing an entire wall of windows in place of some upper cabinets so it will limit the amount of backsplash. Will be going under hood.
I'd so appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Comments (24)

• Lisa
    10 years ago

I personally love it, very classic look!

• dcward89
    10 years ago

Stunningly beautiful!

• alison0707
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much!

• msrose
    10 years ago

I've never seen it in a kitchen, but I think it would be gorgeous!!!

• badgergal
    10 years ago

I think it will look fabulous.

• KS_Chicago
    10 years ago

Love it! In the same situation preference wise. I think it will look great.

• robynstamps
    10 years ago

I love that! Can you tell me where you are ordering your samples? I would like to see if that would go with my cabinets, too.

Thanks!

• amykath
    10 years ago

I love it! I too would love to know where you found the tile.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Very pretty. All your choices look great. Please post pics.
    Edit: love the Concrete Quartz countertops.

This post was edited by romy718 on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 16:53

• Gracie
    10 years ago

It's beautiful. The only thing that would make me hesitate is the recent thread where someone's arabesques weren't lined up well on the sheet, resulting in lots of gaps and uneven lines. If those are on sheets, talk to your tile installer about whether he'll need to cut some off the sheets to reset and how that will affect the cost.

• Catharine442
    10 years ago

Very beautiful. I too was thinking of marble tile behind my range but you probably should seal it, like a counter because I don't think the wall tiles come sealed (I tested some I got from glasstilestore.com and they were not). Grease, etc., might cause staining over time.
    The guy doing my marble countertops swears by this nano tecnology stuff called Akemi.

• chiefy
    10 years ago

oh that looks amazing! I hope it's the look you go with so we can all drool over the finished results.

• crl_
    10 years ago

Those are just gorgeous!

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! If I had seen these when doing my kitchen, I would have really considered them as well. SInce the tile maker has selected a low contrast (veined) Carrara, it won't be busy at all. I have a relief Arabesque on my fireplace, and it was a challenge for the tilers (i.e., time consuming and expensive). It turned out great, however. I have subway Carrara behind my range and I keep it well sealed. After nine months there are no stains or even an etch. I tend to wipe splatters up immediately, however.

• alison0707
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the comments everyone. We are still about a month out from starting but I will definitely post pics of the finished project.

A local tile store (apex in parsipanny nj) loaned me a sample to keep at home for a bit.

We contemplated doing a marble island but with two young boys just decided it wasn't a smart option for us. Although I know a backsplash can also stain (we will seal it) I'm ok with taking that risk.

Thanks for raising the point about installation. I will definitely check with my contractor.

Thanks again for all the great feedback!

• Gooster
    10 years ago

It looks like some other vendors are starting to get it in stock --- does this look pretty similar? Looks like something similar....

[Traditional Tile[(https://www.houzz.com/products/traditional-tile-prbr1-br~t_1053~s_2107) by Alpharetta Tile, Stone & Countertops thebuilderdepot.com

• nmjen
    10 years ago

Wow, that is just beautiful! I think the materials all look really nice together. I'm a huge fan of arabesque tiles, but I'd never seen them in marble before--what an elegant combination.

• heritagehd07
    10 years ago

Stunning combination of materials! Please post pictures when the project is complete

• alison0707
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here is one more -

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I came very close to using that for my backsplash, it's gorgeous. In the end I decided I didn't want something that fancy but I still love those tiles and am pretty sure I'm going to use them in my laundry room.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

The tile you did choose (and the whole kitchen) looks great!

• firefly
    9 years ago

Your kitchen looks gorgeous! May I ask what kind of floors you have? Thanks!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! Love the bay window!