Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Backsplash: carrera arabesque?

Posted by alison0707 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 7:05

Hi Everyone,

I have found so much great information for my kitchen reno by searching these boards.
Was hoping I could push my luck and ask your assistance with a backsplash choice I'm having trouble making.
We are installing white painted shaker cabinets on the perimeter of our kitchen. Perimeter counter will be ceasarstone concrete. Floors will be a very lite gray porcelain tile that has a wood grain look. I want to add some interest with the backsplash but my aesthetic is pretty simple and leaning towards contemporary. For some reason I'm drawn to the arabesque tiles. I've seen pictures online - but can't find anyone who has actually done one in carrera. I've attached a picture. I'm also getting samples of the same pattern in a larger tile which I thought might be a bit less busy. Thoughts? Has anyone seen this done in a kitchen? Another option is the same tile in white - but I do love the marble.
We have a rather large space but are installing an entire wall of windows in place of some upper cabinets so it will limit the amount of backsplash. Will be going under hood.
I'd so appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Backsplash: carrera arabesque?

I personally love it, very classic look!

o

Stunningly beautiful!

o

Thanks so much!

o

I've never seen it in a kitchen, but I think it would be gorgeous!!!

o

I think it will look fabulous.

o

Love it! In the same situation preference wise. I think it will look great.

o

I love that! Can you tell me where you are ordering your samples? I would like to see if that would go with my cabinets, too.

Thanks!

o

I love it! I too would love to know where you found the tile.

o

Very pretty. All your choices look great. Please post pics.
Edit: love the Concrete Quartz countertops.

This post was edited by romy718 on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 16:53

o

It's beautiful. The only thing that would make me hesitate is the recent thread where someone's arabesques weren't lined up well on the sheet, resulting in lots of gaps and uneven lines. If those are on sheets, talk to your tile installer about whether he'll need to cut some off the sheets to reset and how that will affect the cost.

o

Very beautiful. I too was thinking of marble tile behind my range but you probably should seal it, like a counter because I don't think the wall tiles come sealed (I tested some I got from glasstilestore.com and they were not). Grease, etc., might cause staining over time.
The guy doing my marble countertops swears by this nano tecnology stuff called Akemi.

o

oh that looks amazing! I hope it's the look you go with so we can all drool over the finished results.

o

Those are just gorgeous!

o

Absolutely beautiful! If I had seen these when doing my kitchen, I would have really considered them as well. SInce the tile maker has selected a low contrast (veined) Carrara, it won't be busy at all. I have a relief Arabesque on my fireplace, and it was a challenge for the tilers (i.e., time consuming and expensive). It turned out great, however. I have subway Carrara behind my range and I keep it well sealed. After nine months there are no stains or even an etch. I tend to wipe splatters up immediately, however.

o

Thanks so much for the comments everyone. We are still about a month out from starting but I will definitely post pics of the finished project.

A local tile store (apex in parsipanny nj) loaned me a sample to keep at home for a bit.

We contemplated doing a marble island but with two young boys just decided it wasn't a smart option for us. Although I know a backsplash can also stain (we will seal it) I'm ok with taking that risk.

Thanks for raising the point about installation. I will definitely check with my contractor.

Thanks again for all the great feedback!

o

It looks like some other vendors are starting to get it in stock --- does this look pretty similar? Looks like something similar....

o

Wow, that is just beautiful! I think the materials all look really nice together. I'm a huge fan of arabesque tiles, but I'd never seen them in marble before--what an elegant combination.

o

Stunning combination of materials! Please post pictures when the project is complete

o

Hi All,

I just wanted to post a follow up here since I got so many great tips from this board while doing my kitchen renovation. It is finally complete and we love the way it came out and having our kitchen back! We ended up not using the arabesque because my husband was not a fan and I ended up feeling as if this staggered marble subway tile was a better fit for the space. Maybe I'll convince him to use it for a future master bath reno! Anyway, thanks again to all for the input.

o

here is one more -

o

I came very close to using that for my backsplash, it's gorgeous. In the end I decided I didn't want something that fancy but I still love those tiles and am pretty sure I'm going to use them in my laundry room.

o

The tile you did choose (and the whole kitchen) looks great!

o

Your kitchen looks gorgeous! May I ask what kind of floors you have? Thanks!

o

Gorgeous! Love the bay window!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here