Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barista9

Mixing modern pulls with boutons

barista9
10 years ago

Hi,
we were in a dead-end about choosing the cabinet hardware when our KD strongly suggested us to use this one everywhere. They're 6.5 inch long, stainless steel with a brushed nickel finish. I will have painted white shaker cabs with kashmir white granite countertop. I'm thinking I'll feel overwhelmed with all the handles (although I like them a lot) , our kitchen is in the small side (12x12). Can this type of handle be mixed with boutons. I'd use handles on the drawers and buttons on doors.

Comments (12)

• barista9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm thinking about mixing with something like this, any thought, should I just stick with the handles everywhere?

• User
    10 years ago

Does your kitchen lean toward a modern style? If so, I can see using all pulls.
    For me, if there were a lot of cabinets in a relatively small space it would feel frenetic and I'd prefer mixing pulls and knobs.

• User
    10 years ago

All pulls. Period. More ergonomic and cohesive.

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

I agree with hollysprings. That's what we did and I love the look.

• User
    10 years ago

I too felt that pulls on the doors would be too much in my small kitchen, especially since I have six 12-13" doors on my range wall.

Those are really nice pulls but they don't go with the traditional knobs. Does the manufacturer make a matching knob?

• barista9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Funny thing I noticed, on the "artistic" rendering made by the cabinet maker or our project, they did put knobs on the doors. I'll scan it when I get home tonight.

I'm thinking maybe I should go with same handles but shorter on the cabinet doors. The hardware manufacturer doesn't have knobs in the same collection as the handles but it does have some knobs that don't have any details on the front with the same finish, I guess that would match more the modern styling of the handles.

For sure the handles would not look out of place as my fridge and range have the same styling (Jennair pro-style, and DCS range before they went with the square look).

• barista9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the perspective, with knobs on doors. The island is missing, but it will only have drawers, so there's no issue there.
    Will it look too busy with vertical handles from my original post? I'm thinking specially for the upper cabinets over the pantry and fridge.

• xc60
    10 years ago

I think all pulls, it's a gorgeous kitchen.

• User
    10 years ago

I like it as shown and even think you could do all knobs, depending on the size of the drawers to the right of the stove and whether the pantry is a pull-out. If this is a small home with charm, I think knobs have their merits. The long narrow uppers and the small drawers would look cute with a knob, and trash pull-outs can be knobs. The long drawer near the corner would need two knobs, as would the island drawers, I'm sure. So that would be the trade-off. I don't find knobs hard to use. I have them on dressers and an antique sideboard.

Plain English comes to mind. I love the knobs on the slab drawers. Is this a style that works with your kitchen? I see subway tile in the drawing, but I also see a modern chimney hood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plain English

• barista9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The pantry is not a pull-out, just made of 4 doors.
    In the end the style is transitional towards modern, lots of stainless steel, including a commercial espresso machine near the fridge. I like the pulls, just afraid they will stand out too much on the upper cabinets.

• barista9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I'm still hesitating about having pulls everywhere given my modest sized kitchen. On top, I'm just back from Ikea and they have a very similar handle that they where using on 3 or 4 setups...

How about this button, would it match nicely? it is more modern:

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

I used all pulls in my kitchen, and orientated them all horizontally. I don't have as many uppers as you, though. More than two years later, I still love the look, to me, mixing pulls and knobs is what gets frenetic. Too much, especially in a small room. YMMV. I looked at hundreds of kitchens before deciding. I feel that the all-pull look leans a little more modern. Here's how mine looks if it helps. (Sorry for the very old photo.)