Houzz Logo Print
caveman_mike_gw

Can blueberries stain Quartz (Cambria)?

caveman_mike
11 years ago

I'm going to get a dark pattern Quartz counter (Cambria) because:

1) I have white cabinets and I want contrast,
2) I've read here that seems show less in a darker patterned quartz, and
3) I'm guessing stains would show less with a darker color.

But then it occurred to me that I'm assuming than food can stain quartz.

QUESTION:
--------------
Can food (like blueberry, tumeric (yellow) spice) stain quartz?

Just curious,

Thanks,
Mike

Comments (15)

• ck_squared
    11 years ago

We've had dark Cambria counters for around 10 years. No stains from anything. Well, other than some, what I assume to be, hard water stains around the faucet (and I've heard they are easy to get rid of, I just haven't tried).

When we remodel, I'll be going for white/light Cambria and I assume it will "behave" in the same way.

p.s. our seams are virtually invisible.

• adel97
    11 years ago

Berries, wine, beets, and all the other "usual suspects" stain my white Ceasarstone. By "stain" I mean spots that do not come off with plain soap and water. But all disappear easily with a tiny bit of Soft Scrub with Bleach. I love the look and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Is there any WHITE counter that doesn't stain with berry juice or beets? My old white Formica used to stain as well and cleaned up the same way with the soft scrub. If having to soft scrub an occasional stain would bother you, definitely go with dark or patterned, where stains won't show.

• annkh_nd
    11 years ago

Here is the Cambria we've chosen to go with our new light oak cabinets. We've had a sample on the counter for a couple of weeks, and haven't found anything that will mark or stain it, though I haven't tried blueberries or beets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cambria Somerset

• smartdesignergirl
    11 years ago

The best thing you can do is read the warranty and the use and care information. That will tell you exactly what you expect from Cambria. I know most quartz brands do not want you using bleach or any bleach product on the countertop.

Product Care & Maintenance
    Maintaining Cambria is easy. Simply wash with a soft cotton cloth and warm water, use a mild soap if desired.
    DO NOT expose, in use or otherwise, Cambria to abrasive or strong alkaline or acid or free radicals or oxidizers or the like (whether high, neutral or low pH) cleaners. Various chemicals are corrosive and/or erosive in their ability to attack any structure including Cambria. Be very aware of these potential damages to your surface.

Cambria IS NOT heat proof, chemical proof or fracture proof in any form. Be aware of damaging exposure to these potential damaging acts upon your Cambria.

"DO NOT use or expose Cambria to such products including, but not limited to bleach, oven cleaners, Cometî, Soft Scrubî, SOSî, products with pumice, batteries, paint removers, furniture strippers, tarnish or silver cleaners, or the like. DO NOT use abrasive or harsh scrub pads. DO NOT apply any sealers, penetrants or topical treatments to Cambria under any circumstances. Such products will wear off and cause the gloss to appear dull or inconsistent. Contact Cambria for further information by calling 1-866-Cambria or complete the customer support form."

Here is a link that might be useful: Cambria Warranty

• adel97
    11 years ago

The Ceasarstone care instructions recommend the soft scrub, which also worked for me when the neighbor's child decided to draw lines with a sharpie on the material! Depends on the specific quartz and resin used by the different brands, I guess.

"Its hard, nonporous surface makes Caesarstone simple to clean. In most cases, soap and water or a mild detergent is all that is required to maintain its luster. If necessary, apply common, non-abrasive, household cleaners such as Soft Scrub Liquid Gel with Bleach or Comet Soft Cleanser Cream With Bleach directly on a damp cloth or sponge and wipe the surface, rinsing thoroughly after cleaning. To remove adhered material such as food, gum, or nail polish, first scrape away the excess material with a plastic putty knife and then clean the surface with a damp cloth to remove any marks left behind and any residual dirt.
    Please understand that HONED, TEXTURED and MOTIVO finishes will require more daily maintenance than our polished finishes. Since there is more exposed surface area with honed finishes, metal marks, finger prints and other signs of daily living will show on honed material. Most of these marks can be easily removed with little effort and non-abrasive cleaning products such as Soft Scrub Liquid Gel"

• Gracie
    11 years ago

Nothing has stained my light beige quartz counter in 10 months. How well the seam is matched to the counter depends on how good of an eye the fabricator has for color. They mix it up right there, so you can watch them do it and give your final approval.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

We have Cambria Torquay and regularly have blueberries, raspberries, coffee, etc. left on the countertop. All clean up nicely with just a little bit of elbow grease. Good luck!

• caveman_mike
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone, and thank you annkh for the link to the Cambria Somerset. I really like that selection.

I can't tell for sure, but does that one have those cool sparklie things that look like diamond chips?

Thanks,
    Mike

• annkh_nd
    11 years ago

It's somewhat sparkly, but not as much as others I've seen.

My hubby ground a blueberry into our sample this morning and left it there - I'll give you a report tomorrow!

• MizLizzie
    11 years ago

>>>DO NOT expose, in use or otherwise, Cambria to abrasive or strong alkaline or acid or free radicals or oxidizers or the like (whether high, neutral or low pH) cleaners.

Do you guys think this would include hydrogen peroxide? I know that will take color from fabrics. Or alcohol? Or vinegar? Those are the three things I clean my granite with, and it hasn't hurt it. I will be switching to a dark Cambria in a couple of months. TIA.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

You don't need a special cleanser for quartz. Soap and water handles it. You can't scrub with an abrasive as it will dull the surface and your fabricator won't be able to polish it out like he would granite.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I've had my dark Caesarstone for over a year and no stains. Honestly, nothing shows on it, including dried messes I didn't see and failed to clean up. I generally can only find them through touch. I was told by the fabricator not to use anything with ammonia (e.g., Windex). All I use is my spray bottle of water with a dab of Dawn. No dulling, and everything smells good.

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

I have Cambria Dovedale, a marblesque type color with caramel type veining instead of gray.

I had a Khoreshte Aloo (Persian chicken stew) disaster where the turmeric sauce spilled all over the kitchen, my 86 year old dad insisted on moving the La Creuset dutch oven from the range to the table. It took a lot of elbow grease and mild soap but got it off.

For the last month or so making blackberry, strawberry, blueberry smoothies/frozen treats in my Vitamix. I clean quickly and easily.

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

BTW Some small drips of turmeric sauce I did not spot till weeks later. Still cleaned up after stain was allowed to "set."