Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

The Pantene Ad is Dreadful

oldbat2be
11 years ago

Especially dislike experiencing it multiple times in a row. Not a good consumer experience.

Comments (31)

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I agree.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

When it hits I close the browser and leave gw for a while.

• kaysd
    11 years ago

I typed up a 3 paragraph post on Lighting a few days ago, then a stupid ad froze the screen when I tried to submit. After 30 minutes, I had to shut down IE to fix the problem, so I lost everything I had typed.

I am never buying Pantene again. All of the changes have made GW less fun. I'm noticing a lot fewer responses to threads these days.

• sprtphntc7a
    11 years ago

pantene ad is so intrusive...it ran 3 times in a row - after i would click on a thread...had to leave GW

really do not like the new format either....

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

Ditto. Ads on the side are fine. Ads covering the entire screen are not.

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Me too.

• juliet11
    11 years ago

If you use Mozilla Firefox as your browser and get the Adblock Plus add on you won't see any ads. I use that and it works great for me on GardenWeb - no ads. It's free.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adblock Plus

• Kathy Rivera
    11 years ago

And when I'm on my phone, the X won't work to close it! VERY annoying!

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

Why aren't you using AdBlock on your browser? No ads on GW at all.

• suburbanrancher
    11 years ago

Agree, it also made every link I clicked on go to the Pantene website! I made sure the pop-up blockers were on and that took care of it.

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

It blocks the whole page on my iPhone so I have to shut down gardenweb and reopen in another window. : (
    So annoying!!

I wouldn't mind glitches if I thought they listened and would fix the problems.

• Kek10
    11 years ago

Totally agree on the Pantene ad!! Clicking on the links and going right to the Pantene website is the worst - I am starting to wonder if they hacked GW.

• mermanmike
    11 years ago

I agree these ads are crazy frustrating. Juliet--I just downloaded that ad blocker you linked to. Amazing--it downloaded in seconds and didn't even restart Firefox before it started working. Literally seconds later and I don't see any ads on GW, including in the sidebars! Thank you!!

• rkb21
    11 years ago

It's terrible. When I was on my phone, I had to click off 4 times to avoid the pop-up :(

• annkh_nd
    11 years ago

Juliet, you are my new best friend! No ads!

This must be what Heaven is like.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Pantene is a wretched product.

My laptop and desktop (OS X) are ad-free. iPad, not so much. I can deal with ads down the side in the vertical third that is designated for that. But over what I'm viewing or writing? Totally unacceptable!

Has anyone heard directly from GW on this?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Linelle, for the iPad you can try the Atomic browser, which helps some. Personally I don't think it's worth it since it's a sub-par browser otherwise, but it does let you stop some of the worst ads.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

I wonder if the ad companies ever tote up the loss of goodwill for their product?

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Thanks, writersblock. I kinda hate having to change browsers just for GW. I'll just confine by GW time to my laptop. I'm a latecomer to the iPad and, while it's small and relatively light and you can read books on it, it doesn't hold a candle to my laptop. I need a real keyboard!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

> I need a real keyboard!

There are plenty of cases with keyboards or you can use a bluetooth keyboard, but after you get used to it you may find that it's easier to type on the ipad than to lug a keyboard around. I find that after typing on the ipad for a while I get annoyed that my computer keyboard doesn't have a .com key. :)

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

AdBlock

• Karenseb
    11 years ago

Thanks for the Adblock plus. It works very well.

• deedles
    11 years ago

ditto adblock. ditto pantene being an awful product.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I'm on an ipad with the "block ads" option in Settings turned on and instill getting the Pantene ad. Thought about Atomic, but don't want to mess with that just to view GW.

I'm turned off enough lately with all the "improvements" made on Black Monday that I'm not visiting or posting as often anyway. Like Kay mentioned, I'm also seeing fewer postings on threads.

Opening the ipad to GW every morning and evening used to feel like a special treat for me, a quiet and fun escape from real life with kids. I'm not enjoying it nearly as much now with the visual mess I see on the forum. I still don't like the font, the white background, the thread title colors, the tiny photos, and the ads that now invade my screen.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

I see nobody in this thread has mentioned that mac users who prefer safari to firefox can install glimmerblocker (glimmerblocker.org).

EDIT It installs as a system preference so it stops ads in all your browsers (haven't tried it with chrome, so I don't know how it works there).

This post was edited by writersblock on Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 12:36

• bacin0
    11 years ago

Will NEVER buy a Pantene product after this!!

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

I could not believe that they would allow such an invasive ad. It covered all of the posts and I couldn't close the ad once I got taken to it by clicking on a completely unrelated link
    Does anyone know how to put ad block on Google Chrome, which is the browser I'm using?

• Bunny
    11 years ago

writersblock, I have a Bluetooth keyboard and have tried it with my iPad. It's kinda meh. I'm an old-school speed typist so typing ".com" with four keystrokes is nothing to me. :) Cutting and pasting is a pain with the iPad. Next month I'm traveling to Israel for three weeks and I'm taking both my iPad (books mostly) and my laptop for real stuff.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Anything to use if you have IE on a laptop?

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Forget IE. I just changed to google chrome. I really don't like chrome but will use it just for this site. I added adblock. They are all gone!

You know I never minded the ads before. I understand that is how this site is kept free. It just got out of hand.

So now no ads. Brilliant business strategy.

• catbuilder
    11 years ago

Ads were totally covering the posts on my computer before they changed the format. I couldn't ready anything. Now I don't have any problem. Except yesterday with Pantene.