Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY Butcher Block Countertop Installation..Need Help

Posted by suzenla (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 11, 10 at 6:25

I am considering using butcher block on all countertops in my kitchen and have been researching installation techniques. My concerns are with moisture/heat issues around sink,dishwasher, stove and installation of sink. One butcher block company states it weakens the counter to cut out the opening for the sink ???? I would appreciate input from you DIYers out there. Thanks, Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY Butcher Block Countertop Installation..Need Help

Just on the sink cutout-well, of course it does. But so what?

Promise me that you and your descendants will not tap dance in the sink. That should take care of the weakened issue.

o

Promise that your husband won't try to clean an engine block in the sink.

Seal the BB with something like poly on the bottom and around the sink cutout.

o

We are in the process of doing the same thing. There is so little information out there on these things, but I did find this site while researching and it gives pretty good instructions for installing wood countertops. They address the dishwasher and stove issues.

http://devoswoodworking.com/Installation.htm

We are going to use pure tung oil to finish ours. Food safe and non toxic and water proof. Just make sure it is pure and not from the big box stores if you use this. Boat builders used it for centuries and if it waterproofed boats, then it ought to handle what water there is in a kitchen!

o

We put Waterlox on our IKEA butcher block counters. Also, IKEA recommended installing their FIXA diffusion barrier (a narrow strip of something like plastic sheeting) on the underside of the counter over the dishwasher. This was supposed to be additional protection against moisture/steam from the dishwasher. It cost, I think, maybe $3 if you're near an IKEA. Or I'm sure there are similar products elsewhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here