Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692457

1949 cape kitchen misdesign

User
14 years ago

I'm buying an older cape cod that comes with this 12' x 15' kitchen. The fridge faces the stove on the opposite wall. The great part of the design is the conversion of a side porch into a pantry, the red room visible between the sink and stove. There is an 11' run of upper and base cabinets lining the outside wall.

The stove is electric. My immediate concern is limited working counter space. There must be a better configuration for this room. There are so many other projects that need attention in the house that the kitchen will have to wait awhile before major renovation.

In the meantime, I can move the stove and frige and paint the existing cabinets. Any ideas on what to move or suggestions for furniture for the blank areas?

Comments (9)

• brickton
    14 years ago

First let me say that space is awesome. Yes, the kitchen layout is pretty bad, the decor is rough but the space itself, with the windows and the back pantry is great. If you could post a layout with measurements, a budget, and a wishlist (along with any other information from buel's great intro thread) I'm sure that the people here could whip this into a much more useful and attractive kitchen in no time flat.

• marcolo
    14 years ago

Great space. I assume you want to spend as little as possible, and really reno later? If so--

Strip the wallp aper, paint the cabinets white, make sure you don't paint the hardware.

Invest in 3 portab le kit chen islands from Overstock or target or something. Two of them should match, and, ideally, they should look like this, but be longer (or wider, whatever the word is):

{{!gwi}}

Meaning, a surface with an empty space below it, and then storage below that. You may have to look for a table or workbench instead of something labeled an island.

Now, put these two matching islands under the windows. In between, put your stove.

Put the third island--which should NOT match the other 2 exactly--in front of the sink. You have no room to prep there, and you need a surface nearby. This should fit the bill.

Too bad there's a register on the wall to the right of the pantry door around the corner. That would be a great place to put the refridge. We do need more pics and a floor plan.

• growlery
    14 years ago

I actually think the knotty pine is extremely cool, and would not paint it. I know I'm in the minority here, but just had to plant my tiny flag for individuality. If you absolutely can't make them work, don't smash them up, donate them or put them on Craigslist. There IS a market for original vintage knotty pine and other knotty woods!

That "hutch" (hate that word, hutches are for rabbits) is also very cool.

Furniture is easy. Try Ikea too for islands and work surfaces. Houses of this age were MEANT to have kitchen tables. For something taller, do you know what a Hoosier cabinet is, or a kitchen dresser? You may want something like that -- a free-standing cupboard with a worktop and maybe some display space on top, with or without glass or solid doors, maybe some drawers on the bottom. I think a few big pieces is better than a lot of little ones.

The stove definitely needs to move. If you post a layout, there are serious layout magicians here who can give you excellent suggestions. It's a little hard from photos.

Enjoy your new house!

• cawaps
    14 years ago

I disagree about putting carts in front of the windows. The window sills are way below counter height, and I think it will be awkward (nice view though) in the short term. I the long term, you would either re-do the windows, or use that space for a dining table (maybe with a bench in front of the window).

Is that a post on the wall to the right of the range? You also probably have a dearth of outlets, which is going to limit where you can put the range and refrigerator. Is the window wall a 15' wall and the sink wall the 12' wall? That's what it looks like, but since I can't see two corners in any of the pictures it's a bit hard to tell.

I like the cabinets (except for that stray uppper by the door, which I would remove if I could replace or dispense with the storage). I think removing the wallpaper and painting would do wonders.

I might try putting the refrigerator next to the post and the range more-or-less where the refrigerator is, flanked by portable "islands" (makes for a big kitchen triangle, though.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Is there any way to move the range?

I like the knotty pine and would keep it myself.

• marcolo
    14 years ago

disagree about putting carts in front of the windows. The window sills are way below counter height

Um, that's why I included a picture of a very specific type of cart. Casey used this very approach with permanent cabinets to keep the tall Victorian windows in his gorgeous kitc hen.

• kimkitchy
    14 years ago

Congratulations on your new home!

Your kitchen reminds me a lot of my "before" kitchen and is a similar size too. I would move the wall cabinet that is all by itself (by the windows) over next to the post above the heating vent. That would seem more logical and useful.

If the fridge is currently opposite the stove, then I surmise that the window wall is adjacent (left) to the sink dishwasher wall (or opposite the hutch cupboards). Is that correct? If so what is to the right of the heating vent? Is it a door? Is there room to put the fridge to the right of the heating vent?

I had an old fashioned kitchen table in the middle of the room that I used for a "work top". It was great for rolling out pie dough, cutting out cookies, etc.

As a few others have said, I would not paint the knotty pine cabinets either. Clean them. Strip the wall paper, find a nice complementary wall color, change out the light fixtures and you'll see a huge difference.

Post a floor plan drawing, if you have the inclination and you'll get a lot of ideas here.

Good luck with it.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I love the ideas posted so far. You have my design brain cells swirling! Here is the floor plan and some more pictures to give you a better idea of what we're dealing with. My DIL is thinking we should stain the cabinets with cherry finish and go with black accents. This is after we figure out how to best arrange the actual kitchen! Note the cute countertop extension bracket mounted to the back of the pantry door. The heating system is being replaced and those vents may become a non-issue. I have to check with the contractor for sure. All the appliances are slated for replacement. There's a full basement below the kitchen so moving the sink won't be a big deal, either.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The floor plan was drawn with frozen fingers (mine) during a frigid inspection in January. I know the floor measurements are correct, but the fridge wall is clearly wrong. The bump out next to the fridge is the linen closet that opens in the hallwall.

For now, moving that stray upper next to the hutch-style upper makes the most sense. Then an island or chest below it, depending on that vent.

Definitley some primo wall space next to the fridge for a country hutch of some kind. Table and chairs by the windows?

Anyone have a link to that Victorian kitchen with the special cabinets in front of the lower windows?