Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ebse_gw

White Brookhaven Cabinets, please help choose color/door style

ebse
15 years ago

I'm deciding between Alpine White (more of grey undertone) and Antique White (more creamy) for color, and Edgemont vs. Chatham for door style. Has anyone used either? Which is more versatile? I'm leaning toward Chatham door style in Alpine White.

Comments (14)

• suzienj
    15 years ago

It would be helpful if you could post pics. But from what you are saying i would prefer creamy white....

• sarahandbray
    15 years ago

I think I would prefer creamy white over a grayish white...would make the kitchen look a little warmer, I think, with the creamy undertones.

I don't remember what the Chatham door style looks like, but I have the Edgemont and I like it a lot. To be honest, the KD sat me down with all of the door styles and had me pick which one I like--of course, I chose the second from most expensive in the Wood-Mode line. Once he told me that, I had him change his strategy (since Brookhaven/Wood-Mode was actually a stretch for us budget-wise). I had him pull out the cheapest three doors (I remember two were Colony and Edgemont) and see which I liked--surprisingly, even though the Edgemont had a little extra detailing than the Colony door, it was the cheapest of the lot.

Hence the reason I have Edgemont! Love it--and wouldn't want any more detailing than I already have--the little grooves are a pain to clean!!

:)
    Sarah

• susan_in_maine
    15 years ago

ooh, ooh - someone else who has seen all the white colors they have!!!! I'm getting beadboard in the Alpine White. I was really shying away from it at first (just because of the name, really - sounded like white snow, and I really don't want a stark white). I'm also pairing it with #51 (or 53 - I can't remember - and I'm not home right now) which is a really nice mushroom color. That'll be for wherever we've got stainless appliances.

I didn't care for the Antique White - there's a lot of yellow in it, and because I'm pairing with the mushroom, it didn't look good. What else is going to be in your kitchen? That may help choose between the two (or get you to pick one of their other whites - what are there, 12 different whites?!!).

I like the Edgemont (are you thinking raised or recessed?). I didn't see the Chatham, though, so can't comment on that.

-Susan

• sarahandbray
    15 years ago

(IMHO, the best part about the Wood-Mode/Brookhaven lines is that there are SO MANY whites to choose from!!! Love having a choice when EVERY other semi-custom manufacturer seemed to only have "white" or "cream" as their choices!)

-sarah

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I also have the Edgemont door style in white -- mine is Nordic. I had custom painted white cabinets before, and I hated how the oil based paint had turned dingy yellow beige, so I wanted a true, clean white. I also have a lot of warmer tones in adjoining rooms, so I didn't want to go with a cool undertone. I like the crisp white. I also like the Edgemont door style.

There is -- or at least at the time was -- one door style in Brookhaven that is less that Edgemont. I think that is the Andover.

Chatham is a Woodmode door style -- although it appears to be a simpler style, the Woodmode line is going to run more. I personally prefer the softer line and little bit of detail in the Edgemont -- you make like the sharper edges of the Chatham (more rustic or more contemporary leanings). I think that decision would be based on the look you are going for and possibly your budget. Either one is going to be a good choice.

• sarahandbray
    15 years ago

(you're right!!! Andover was the cheapest--thanks for the reminder! So Edgemont was second cheapest, then!)

• rebeccainchicago
    15 years ago

Gosh, I went with Wood Mode in a really fancy door and wanted off white, but none of them worked. I certainly don't remember 12 choices!

Point is, I've seen a display kitchen at the Chicago Merchandise Mart that I'm pretty sure is done in Alpine White. Lovely. But too white for me. Even Antique White was too white for me. So I am going with Antique White with an Espresso finish, Barcelona door, and I love love love the sample! Quite fancy, but the glaze -- the idea of which I originally hated -- absolutely works for me now.

There was one Wood-Mode white that I was warned actually looks pink in installation. Beware of that! But I cannot remember which it was. If you feel you need to know, respond here and I'll call the KD, who is the one who told me this.

• zoey_neohio
    15 years ago

Oh, Angelina, please call 'cause I am going to want to know about this. Thanks!

• lascatx
    15 years ago

Boy, I didn't hear pink, but after taking all the pink out of the last 2 houses we bought, that would have not worked for us! I don't remember seeing 12 whites, but there were more choices than the one or 2 options in any other cabinet line. I suspect that with the Christopher Peacock/Something's Gotta Give popularity recently, if anything, they would have more white selections than in the past.

• flseadog
    15 years ago

We have the Brookhaven Winfield recessed square in the pure white tone. I can't remember if it is nordic or alpine. One color is the laminate and the other is the painted wood and we have the painted wood. We chose the purest/starkest white tone because my DD who is both a painter and a trained designer told me that our pure white cabinets would reflect whatever color we painted our kitchen walls. If our cabinets had a pink or yellow or whatever undertone we would be stuck with it it her opinion. But if we painted the cabinets pure white and then wanted to change our walls in the future then they wouldn't clash with our new wall color preference (sorry about the run on sentence). HTH.

• annekendo
    15 years ago

I have edgemont recessed in eggshell. I am pleasantly surprised that the doorstyle is inexpensive because it was the only one I picked out & I love it. I usually pick something super expensive & then I have to go with my 2nd choice (or 3rd). This door has a nice small ogee edge detail that matches other built-ins and cabinets in my older home. I hope my off-white isn't the offending "pink" one. I don't think I've seen any other eggshell kitchens around - everyone seems to go white, white. My cabinets are definitely very creamy, but I think they have more of a beige undertone (to go with my travertine floors).

• rebeccainchicago
    15 years ago

@ zoey_neohio and any others interested in the pinkish white from Wood-Mode: it's what they call Lace. I'm told that like all painted surfaces, its appearance will be affected by available light and its surroundings. Hope this helps!

• ebse
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the responses!

I didn't realize that the Chatham door style is woodmode (they just gave me the samples to bring home). Is there a corresponding brookhaven style, and what is it called?

Also, I've heard that brookhaven is having a promotion where more expensive doors are upgraded for free. Has anyone heard of this?

• michran
    3 years ago

did you go with Alpine white or Antique white? I am having the same issue deciding between the two colors. can you send a picture of your kitchen finished?